Red
    2002 Camaro SS

car is dead...again

ok well ive been posting up the ass becuase i am having trouble with the SS...i replaced the battery with an optima...thought everything was going to be good after that...sure enough i turn the car off...sit in for about 10 mins..and tried to turn it back on but nothing...already dead! i push the power button on the radio and there is a popping sound coming from all 4 speakers..no idea what that is but obviously there is a problem...car operates fine when running but when shes off, shes off...anyone got ideas?

Alternator?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Have you had the alternator tested?
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    1998 Z/28

get the car running and disconnect 1 of the batt. cables and see if it cuts off or runs.
    http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheelieke5.jpg361hp 351tq 98 Z/28 A4 SLP Lid/Smooth Bellow/LM2 K&N Filter Pacesetter Headers TSP Y Pipe Z06 Style Wheels B&M shifter Yank 3200 Prothane Motor/Trans Mounts Torquer V2/7.425" p-rods/Comp Springs
    $, the replacement for displacement.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

It's doubtful that your new battery went dead in 10 mins. Was it fully charged? If it was, then you have an electrical prob. with your car. Are the connections at the batt. clean?

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

yea srry i failed to mention that...i did disconnect one of the cables to the battery, car stayed on..thats wats boggling me, you would assume that there would be a problem with the alternator but it did not show when i disconnected the cables, i dont know what to do, the connections are clean and all but the popping sound still occurs when i push the power on the radio...dont know whats going on

Disconnecting a cable with the car running can spike the pcm.I hope that didn't happen. Good luck!

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

What is your battery voltage when you try to crank it again? And when you do try to crank it again, does the starter sound like it is trying to crank over? Just curious because I had a 95 Camaro that would not start. I had good voltage, but starter never would turn over. Turns out my Anti-Theft relay was bad intermittently. I swapped it out with my ABS relay (I think) to get me home from a 1000+ mile road trip and then changed it out never had the problem again. Just a suggestion you could look at.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Also, had a friend recently with a 04 vette that wouldn't start. the starter would kinda turn over but not enough to crank the engine. And he went through and changed the battery and checked multiple things. Turns out he found out he had a weak ground on the Anti-Theft system. He couldn't find the ground so he made a new one for it...LOL. But it runs again, with no problem.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

so no lights? like SES or SVS or SECURITY?

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

yea im starting to get a hunch i have the same problem as your friend
    and sorry, no theres no service lights on at all on the dash....also found something else out this morning...my friend was going to check out the car after finals so i jumped it this morning...idle was funny and aver i pushed the throttle, it dropped to near 400rpm and almost stalled, but then picked up again...also, when i turned the fog lights on, the front speakers turned off, full headlights, then all 4 turned off...friend sed it could be a ground issue too,, but dont thinkwould that explain the weird idle and smell
    and when i do try to start the car, its a really slow start, barely enough to crank the engine

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

you wont believe it...i left the car at the dealer for over a week, they replaced the alternator with a brand new one...i waited fer about 15 minutes for them to bring the car out...."sorry it took so long, your car was dead and we had to jump it!" what the hell is going on, i have no idea...so we jump the car and as im entering the interesection on my way home, the car dies! guages were off, car was chugging along and then it died..would not run without being hooked up to my friends car..i have no idea wat the hell is going on...maybe the new battery i got wsa a bust, well see

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by sstud View Post
    you wont believe it...i left the car at the dealer for over a week, they replaced the alternator with a brand new one...i waited fer about 15 minutes for them to bring the car out...."sorry it took so long, your car was dead and we had to jump it!" what the hell is going on, i have no idea...so we jump the car and as im entering the interesection on my way home, the car dies! guages were off, car was chugging along and then it died..would not run without being hooked up to my friends car..i have no idea wat the hell is going on...maybe the new battery i got wsa a bust, well see
    Take it back to the dealer. They didn't fix anything by replacing the alternator. It doesn't sound like it needed an alt. You should demand your money back. The car should keep running, even if the battery's dead, with a good alt. There's another prob.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

hmmm, thats interesting. Sounds like your car may be running off the battery, not the alternator. Well it does sorta, but it sounds like your alt. isn't charging the batt. check all wires from alt. to battery maybe a loose connection somewhere or as stated before a ground that isn't good. But yeah definately take it back to dealership, you PAID for improper services rendered with a worse outcome than you started with. that's BS.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

i paid a 100 dollar deductable, which is bullshit, but thats the warranty for ya, and 60 dollars for labor...i guess the part of the exhaust coming over the axle was hitting the metal plate...(reason why is i had this clanking sound over bumps)...now the sound is even more irritating than before..this is the weird thing...before i had the alternator replaced, the car would run once it was started...but yesterday, she died in the middle of an intersection...sooooo embarrassing!! guages turned off, when i would give it a lil gas, the car sounded like it was stalling...after an hour, almost getting hit by fukkin moron drivers, and replacing the brand new battery with my old ac delco, i got the car starteddd on the first crank, it was a miracle..i let her warm up and the guages turned off again, car sounded funny at idle, smelled as well (it was a very distinct smell of gasoline, almost like it was burning too much) i made a gutsy move and drove her home, luckly i only live a couple miles from where it died...but in all honesty, i think i should have left the car at the dealer yesterday when they told me they had to jump my car before bringing in to me, but i was too excited to see her after a week of driving a forrdddd haha

im going to grossinger (go figure) within the hour so for those who are looking here thanks for your help, ill keep ya posted
    Last edited by sstud; 06-05-2007 at 07:39 AM.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Call them and have them pay the towing fee. Or send out their own truck to pick it up and don't let them make you pay the deductible again, and have that $60 that they charged you for labor go toward the labor they need to do. As far as that smell, well if your PCM isn't getting the voltage it needs who knows what its doing, dumping too much gas, not firing correctly, not providing enough juice to the coils to burn the fuel. All related to this problem you are having. So it seems.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

As for that clanking sound, is that metal piece loose. You are talking about the heatshield correct? You can bend it, or I personally took all that shit off, got tired of it clanking, even after I bent it and tightened it.

Thread Information