Pewter
    2001 SS Vert

Road Course supension help needed 01 vert

As the subject implies.

Car is an 01 Convertible LS1.

Has a 6 Point roll bar welded in.
    Has Bilstein shocks.
    Has Strano 35mm front and 22mm rear sway bars.
    Has KBDD subframe connectors.
    Has Wilwood 6 piston brakes up front.

It is still quite rolly polly in the corners. I know its a heavy pig of a car, but it sure is fun.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone further in the suspension department and what they did and what worked, how well ... etc.

thx

LWM

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

'Wray MacKenzie' is that you? If so have you sold the LT1? I imagine you are going to run at RCMP?

Anyways I have taken the suspension mods farther as seen in this thread:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17106

It is still soft in the corners beacuse you are on stock springs and stock rubber bushings imo. You have plenty of bar (front and back) for RCMP.

I really like the rod ends for bushings on a road course you could consider switching out upper/lower front/rear A-arms PHB, etc.

The Bilstiens you have are not adjustable and a better choice for road racing is Koni's for sure.

Lastly of course is the springs. A better (stiffer) spring will do wonders for the way our cars handle.

Black
    02 WS6 M6

IDK what the regs are for your racing bracket but... Some lowering springs will work wonders for the nosedives, rolls, etc. Don't forget LCA relocation brackets, and an adj. panhard rod. In addition to being a little stiffer with progressive rates, they also lower your center of gravity which helps you maintain more balanced weight ratio in your corners, etc.
    THEN: 98 Z28 A4 2.73 FRA STB SFCs LCA Relocators Lowering Springs DAPHR SLP Bilsteins Descr. MAF EGRCut-off Lid Eradispeeds - Daily Driver includ. 3 yrs on the German Autobahn!

NOW: '02 WS6 M6 LOTB BMR STB, SLP bolt-in SFCs, !spare/jack, SLP lid, Battery Relocation

Pewter
    2001 SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    'Wray MacKenzie' is that you? If so have you sold the LT1? I imagine you are going to run at RCMP?

Anyways I have taken the suspension mods farther as seen in this thread:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17106

It is still soft in the corners beacuse you are on stock springs and stock rubber bushings imo. You have plenty of bar (front and back) for RCMP.

I really like the rod ends for bushings on a road course you could consider switching out upper/lower front/rear A-arms PHB, etc.

The Bilstiens you have are not adjustable and a better choice for road racing is Koni's for sure.

Lastly of course is the springs. A better (stiffer) spring will do wonders for the way our cars handle.
    Yup, that's me.

Stock springs and bushings ... yup. I tried a set of Eibach springs (Sport line +/- 1.3" lowering) ... OMFG what a disaster, bottoming out in the rear within 3 blocks, had them removed the very next day ... (bad taste in mouth).

I read that the KONI SAs will give about 3/4" drop in the front if set on the lower perch, not sure how that is accomplished ... details?

Considering my experience with the lowering springs, are there any other spring options out there that might stiffen up the car a little, but not make it unlivable??

And the LT-1 is still for sale, but it is a hard sell, who in their right mind wants a 600hp grocery getter?

thx

LWM

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Maybe you can part out the goodies and return her back to stock? Could mean that I am ready to get blown?

I am so glad you said that about the Eibach's. Everyone for the USA will not belive the road conditions we have to live with and as a result (aswell as running 315's) I used 1LE springs which are much stiffer but at the same/stock height.

I have SA's and there is two lines/indents on these types of shocks alone. You can move the spring perches to the lower one to get a 3/4" drop in the front but I used the stock height one and with the aftermarket arms I was able to get the alignment numbers I wanted when I set the goals for my suspension project without the drop (an therefore) unlivable road manners on the street.

She is stiff but not bone jarring with any bumpstop contact at all.

You going to come down to SWM here in 'lil LA this weekend? You will not regret it and it might give us a chance to finally talk in person.

Here is a link to the events:

http://www.streetwheelers.com/

flat black
    here this may help some...
    -Factory WS.6 sway bars
    -All new poly mounts...including body 2 front sub frame mounts
    -Edelbrock STB
    -BMR weld in SFC
    -Edelbrock LCA's
    -Driveshaft tunnel Brace
    -BMR Panhard rod...adjustable
    -has corvette rotors and calipers...slotted and dimpled rotors
    -no need for drilled...theyll just get destroyed
    -im running on goodyear Eagle F1's...they destroy the road upon which they ride
    -Eibach Sportlines...and its a 1.6 front 1.8 rear...once i tucked the pipes up i got rid of my bottoming problem...i just take speedbumps sideways now
    -Bilstein HD's
    -and honestly what made the most handling difference...getting rid of that disaster of a rear spoiler GM made...the one ive been fabricating has made so much more....better down force...she hooks and hugs the road now...and its hard to brake loose
    http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=YKFSPR

SFL Drifters

Pewter
    2002 TransAm WS6

Koni SA help alot, and im waitin for Stranos lowerin springs. Weight reduction and balancing the weight of the car helps loads too.
    light weight wheels and racin seats are good.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

I've run similar setup for awhile.
    then went w/ koni's + prokits, then coil-overs.
    Wouldn't worry too much about tipping over, unless you end up going sideways outside the asphalted area (grass sideways = bad) especially if wet.

Convertibles are heavy, and with extra weight, such as rollbar, sfc, 9", etc, it does add up.
    I wish my weight would be under 4000lbs.
    from what you mentionned, you didn't say anything about the differential... is it the stock 10-bolt ?
    if so, I'd look into a T2R... and you'll really get some gains out of it.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Thread Information