Thread: new cam

black
    2004 GTO 6M

new cam

hey guys i just got a cam from my buddy he smashed his camaro before he could put it in so here are the specs tell me what you think also what else am i gonna need to buy, pushrods? rocker roller arms ?

duration @.050 intake 231.6 exhaust 237.3
    valve lift with 1.7 rockers intake 0.590 exhaust 0.600
    lobe separtion angle 112.0

any advise would be appreciated

thanks

Black
    2005 GTO

More information would help, I see that you have an 04 goat with the M6
    trans. i am assuming stock rear gear. How do you drive your veh? is it a daily driver with an occational stop light dash or are you going all out.

If it's a daily driver, you will loose some low end torque, mid range/top end will pick up, it is going to have a loping idle but should be bearable, i would like to see it in a 114 degree lsa. Stock pushrods will work, but look into stock length stronger pushrods, get some Comp one piece .080 wall thickness. Our pushrods are very weak. You will without a doubt have to replace the valve springs, stock ls1 are only good to .550 or
    .570 lift. I would recommend Comp 918 springs, they are good to .600 lift, or even better the Patriot Gold springs are good for .650.

My opinion: I would not want to drive this cam as a daily driver, but is not an all out race cam either, it would probably be OK but not great. Luckily every bodies driving style is a little bot different.
    Last edited by Cliffy; 08-22-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

It looks to be a ok cam...... Your intentions are what with the car...?
    I like Smith Brothers for my pushrods they make an awsome inhouse produst and have great turn around time.They offer a .083 wall that is a good choice. If you plane on spraying that baby I usually opt for the .120 wall it is much stronger and I've had customers have backfires and not damage them which is good cause you don't want them to bend and not open the valve and trap all that cylinder pressure.
    http://www.pushrods.net/onepiece.html
    Springs the Comp. already mentioned are a good spring.
    I would not get any type of increades ratio rockers due to the high lift it already sports....... Anything with .600 lift we consider big for a daily driver due to wear issues when your moving a valve that much. Many people idea of a daily driver is different.
    She should like some rpm hope you have a 3.73....... Or a short a_s tire.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

black
    2004 GTO 6M

I just want to say thanks to all that relpy. Also i just want to metion that this is no a daily driver but i want to make sure that it is still drivable i mostly drive it on the weekends and about once a month get it to the track. So from what i am hearing is i need some pushrods and valve springs? so should my stock rocker roller arms be ok??? I am sorry if iam seem like i am dumb but i dont know a whole alot about this stuff. What kind of horsepower gains should i see with this cam???

thanks

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Stock arms I don't think will work with that much lift.
    Not positive cause I've never tried to use stock rockers on anything with .540 plus lift.
    HP #'s there is no telling for sure. A tune afterwards will determine alot of that.

Black
    2005 GTO

Yes you will have to change the springs. Would be strongly recommended to replace the pushrods, especialy on a M6. The stock rockers will work very well
    with that cam. I am running a cheater cam from Thunder Racing, 214/230 with a 601/575 lift on a 117 lsa. In fact a lot of fast ramp cam manufacturs comp included suggest staying away from 1.8 rockers. the stock rockers are very good, just do yourself a favor and inspect the trunion when you install it, dont want and loose needle bearing walking out of your rockers.

rednari
    Most of the above advise is good, but let me bring a few matters into focus.
    First, you will need new springs, Crane or Patriot duals. 1.7 is the stock ratio, so you should be Ok there, but you are at the high lift end for a streeter. The cam is OK, but if you used 1.8 rockers, 1.8 rockers have about .030 ths of an inch more lift, which will put you at 630. That is too much for a streeter.

Second, the 112 LSA is good for the street because the lower LSA provides greater torque. 110-112 is good for the street. The cam while high, is not to high for the street, but you are at the limits there. The cam will be lopey, and good power will develop after 3500 RPM. An ideal street cam would be: 220-226 INT, 224-230 EXH, 530-580 INT lift, 538-588 EXT, 110-112 LSA. LSA of 114 and higher are for the open road and not stoplight to stoplight.

So, you can use the cam, but make sure to use 1.7 rockers and stronger pushrods.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I dotn know about the ls2, but on the ls1 you should def get a new timing chain and oil pump. not needed but def a good idea

black
    2004 GTO 6M

Thanks for all the help, so with some new pushrods and some valve springs and a tune i should be good? Can my stock two piece driveshaft hold this power increase??

thanks

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by kunkelz28 View Post
    Thanks for all the help, so with some new pushrods and some valve springs and a tune i should be good? Can my stock two piece driveshaft hold this power increase??

thanks
    I was going 11.50's and spraying 150 out of the hole from 1500rpm and never had any issues on a LS2 car.
    It was doing 1.68 60's at that time.For at least 70 passes and 15 bottles on the street...

The timing chain response I figured was a giving. If your dumb enough to do a cam swap and keeping the stock chain and gear set than you should not be doing the cam swap! The stock siala link is by no means made for all out hp.

Black
    2005 GTO

Yeah, Chain is a gimme. I would be nervouse with the stock shaft on a stocker ls1 let alone start puttin some power to it. drive shaft and cv's were beefed up a little for 05 ls2's.

black
    2004 GTO 6M

this is gonna start to get expensive, valve springs, pushrods, timing chain, and a new driveshaft. what are your thoughts on the oil pump??? I just wanna make sure i do this right the first time. all the advise is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Put a saftey loop on it and don't replace the driveshafts intil you break something or put a kit on the car.
    On the oil pump tip yes you could replace it with a nice LS2 ported unit but it's not neccesary. We were beating the hell out of these things for years before the LS2 even rolled around and I have yet to have had an oiling problem!

Black
    2005 GTO

I forgot about adding a driveshaft loop, Tuner. Kinda gave on finding one for an ls2. Oil pump would be good if you had the xtra cash. Not a neccessity however. Springs, pushrods, gaskets and drive shaft loop. then have some fun. Don't forget a new balancer bolt.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

You dont think an ls1 shaft can handle a cam swap lol cause it can

black
    2004 GTO 6M

Where is a good place to order a timing chain from and which is the best one. i already ordered pushrods and valve springs and titanium retainers. Also whats good reliable place that can do my tuning??

Thanks

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    You dont think an ls1 shaft can handle a cam swap lol cause it can
    Sorry Guru, I've had '04's come in the shop with sheared "couplings" (joints)
    on stock 6 speeds. 05 and up are stronger. It would be nice if the GTO's came with one piece shafts like the old f-bodys.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by kunkelz28 View Post
    Where is a good place to order a timing chain from and which is the best one. i already ordered pushrods and valve springs and titanium retainers. Also whats good reliable place that can do my tuning??

Thanks
    Check out our sponsors section, many of them carry a few different brands.
    If you do not want to use a double roller and shim th oil pump Thunder Racin
    has a JWIS Chain that is a stronger "higher tinsel strength" chain than the stocker. Thijs is the Chain that i am using and I was very please with quality. Besides the fact that is a few bucks cheaper.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I have a quick question sorry for thread gank, do the 04 GTOs have the same interior as the 05 and 06?

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    I have a quick question sorry for thread gank, do the 04 GTOs have the same interior as the 05 and 06?
    The 05 has a different font on the gauges, dead pedal added to carpet, pedals positioning is a little better (unless your heel/toe down shifting you wont notice) the 06 is the same as t05 but added a power door lock button on the console.::

Thread Information