White
    '10 ZR1

Hurst Olds Firebirds

From 1990 and on, which years did these cars come out? I seem to remember they had one for 1998......black w/gold stripes..........does anyone have info on these cars?? Or know anyone who does? Any help is appreciated!

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    From 1990 and on, which years did these cars come out? I seem to remember they had one for 1998......black w/gold stripes..........does anyone have info on these cars?? Or know anyone who does? Any help is appreciated!

You are most likely thinking about the '97 and '98 Hurst / Lingenfelter Firebirds (nothing Olds about them, but I understand how you could get confused w/ the long history of Hurst/Olds). There were 9 built each year, both were "rated" at 350HP (both ratings were a joke, and a really big joke on the '98 w/ LPE CNC heads/cam etc). All were black w/ gold striping and gold painted wheels. One of the '97s was a 'vert (pic'd in Pontiac Enthusiast a few years ago). I don't have the links handy but some searching should turn up some web pages w/ more detailed info. I've only seen one in person, it (the owner) was crusing through the dealer's parking lot checking out my WS6 on the day I took delivery from Courtesy Motors in Decatur, IN (9/4/98). However he took off before I got a chance to go say hi and check his car out more closely. Been looking for it ever since.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    You are most likely thinking about the '97 and '98 Hurst / Lingenfelter Firebirds (nothing Olds about them, but I understand how you could get confused w/ the long history of Hurst/Olds). There were 9 built each year, both were "rated" at 350HP (both ratings were a joke, and a really big joke on the '98 w/ LPE CNC heads/cam etc). All were black w/ gold striping and gold painted wheels. One of the '97s was a 'vert (pic'd in Pontiac Enthusiast a few years ago). I don't have the links handy but some searching should turn up some web pages w/ more detailed info. I've only seen one in person, it (the owner) was crusing through the dealer's parking lot checking out my WS6 on the day I took delivery from Courtesy Motors in Decatur, IN (9/4/98). However he took off before I got a chance to go say hi and check his car out more closely. Been looking for it ever since.
    With all due respect......I really do think there were quite a few more than 9 built. Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than me can chime in.....for some reason, I have it in my head that one of those years, there were 42 of them built.........thanks for the input!

White
    '10 ZR1

I just found some info on the '98 Hurst Firebird, in which you are right.....Lingenfelter did the modifications. It looks like only 10 were built in '98. I'm still unsure of how many were built any other year.

White
    '10 ZR1

You were right again........9 were built in '97

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Another note is that the Hurst Firebirds for `97 were Based off the Formula with a GFX package while the `98's were WS6 Trans Am's.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

I just found some info on the '98 Hurst Firebird, in which you are right.....Lingenfelter did the modifications. It looks like only 10 were built in '98. I'm still unsure of how many were built any other year.
    Well, the number of '97s built was published in C&D as 9, which you've confirmed. I've never seen any "published" build quantity on the '98s, however a few years ago I toured LPE w/ a local ASE group and I asked that question to the "tour guide" (one of the shop's managers who was around when they built them) and he told me there were 9 '98s built. He added that they had a very difficult time getting black WS6s w/ T56s since there had been a production shortage of them (the T56s) that year. He also added that John (RIP) decided against building any more the following year because it was a legal PITA (not his words) working w/ Pontiac and the Mr. Gasket Co. to build them. Not sure where you got your info from, but I think my source could be considered the "horses' mouth". Either way, only two handfulls of '98s.

As far as 4th gens go, '97 and '98 were the only years that Hurst-badged Firebirds were "built". Several people have added "Hurst Equipped" badges to their cars that came equipped w/ the optional OEM Hurst shifter ('99+). I know in the 2nd gen years (probably the 1st gens too) you could get a OEM Hurst shifter as a factory option (my '76 455-4sp had one) and Hurst provided the t-tops for the '76 and I think maybe the '77s. However I don't think those were considered "Hurst Firebirds".

White
    '10 ZR1

Well, the number of '97s built was published in C&D as 9, which you've confirmed. I've never seen any "published" build quantity on the '98s, however a few years ago I toured LPE w/ a local ASE group and I asked that question to the "tour guide" (one of the shop's managers who was around when they built them) and he told me there were 9 '98s built. He added that they had a very difficult time getting black WS6s w/ T56s since there had been a production shortage of them (the T56s) that year. He also added that John (RIP) decided against building any more the following year because it was a legal PITA (not his words) working w/ Pontiac and the Mr. Gasket Co. to build them. Not sure where you got your info from, but I think my source could be considered the "horses' mouth". Either way, only two handfulls of '98s.

As far as 4th gens go, '97 and '98 were the only years that Hurst-badged Firebirds were "built". Several people have added "Hurst Equipped" badges to their cars that came equipped w/ the optional OEM Hurst shifter ('99+). I know in the 2nd gen years (probably the 1st gens too) you could get a OEM Hurst shifter as a factory option (my '76 455-4sp had one) and Hurst provided the t-tops for the '76 and I think maybe the '77s. However I don't think those were considered "Hurst Firebirds".

Very good info! Here's where I found the info on the number of 98's built:

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/Edition_Hurst_98lot1.htm

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Very good info! Here's where I found the info on the number of 98's built:

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/Edition_Hurst_98lot1.htm
    Yes, I've seen that before too. Who knows for sure, one guy may have counted a prototype and the other didn't. 9, 10........ 220, 221 whatever it takes. Pretty dang rare in any case. In fact, on the '97s, I believe the "9" that C&D described were all coupes (I'll have to dig that article up to confirm), yet a year or so later the 'vert showed up in Pontiac Enthusiast with a lengthly story of how it came about. I'm not sure if the 9 included the 'vert or not, so maybe there were actually 10 '97s???

When the salesman and I were working out the paperwork on my car, I had asked if he had heard anything about a 30th anniversary model for '99 (the 30th T/A had yet to be announced to the public). He said that he hadn't heard anything official from Pontiac. I went on and described what I thought should be the 30th T/As color scheme as a tribute to the Bandit cars, black w/ gold stripes down the WS6 hood bulges. The salesman reached into his drawer and pulled out a picture of two of these '98 Hurst/LPE T/As that he took while they were sitting behind their body shop waiting on delivery to their owners. At that time, I knew about the '97s, but had not heard anything about LPE building the '98s. When I saw the pictures, I said, "YES, that's exactly what I was talking about!" Needless to say, I was thrilled that I wasn't the only one thinking along those lines. Then minutes later I saw the one cruising through the lot checking out my car (they had pulled my car off the showroom floor to let me take it for a test drive, and it was sitting outside.... w/ the top down of course). That was probably one of the most memorable days of my life!

Weeks later when the 30th was announced, I was somewhat disappointed on the blue/white color scheme, as I felt it had "worn out it's welcome" on the 25th.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

A little more fuel for the fire.
    I have the July 99 issue of GM High TECH (Vol 5 No 4)
    in front of me.
    The article is called "Hurst So Good" I already copied some of it on the camaro/SS forum, thread titled which f body do you like best.
    But i'll do a little here also.will shorten it some.
    Again in 98,Hurst hurst teamed up with lpe to produce 11 (orig 50 were planned). It began w/a stock 98 black t/a then added 17x9 gold tinted wheels w/hurst centercaps, custom gold graphics on the hood, embroidered floor mats,
    leather seats with "Hurst by Lingenfelter " logo.carcover,numbered key chain + dash plaque.each of the 11 vehicles are identicle inside+ out.
    The owners received certificates with the vin + series # of their car, + a copy was sent to pontiac historic services to authenticate the vehicles.
    Hp rating: 360 hp
    Power mods:
    .lpe cnc ported heads, 3 angle valve job
    .valve springs,titanium retainers
    .port matched stock intake
    . .530 lift lpe cam 212 +218 duration
    . 3.5 in driveshaft
    .Borla 3" adjustable stainless exh.
    .K+N filter in stock ramair set up
    .Hrst shifer
    It also looks like a hurst line lock may even have been on there, the article doesnt say it was but shows a pic of it, + then another pic of the engine compartment, a footnote says, Note the hurst line lock on the driver side shock tower, it looks stock, but just doesnt say if they all got it or it just ended up on this car, for one reason or another.
    Hope the info helps. you may be able to get back issues of this magazine. As i wrote in the last post i did on this car,If you own one of these cars, I'm a buyer, e-mail me at cleganite@webtv.net

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Thats a nice lookin TA IMO
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Thread Information