red
    2006 gto

Need Advise For A 6.0

i have a 2006 gto and i want some advise on either supercharger or turbo chargers at this point im am thinking about going with a procharger kit

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

superchargedblackgto is the guy you need to talk to ... He has a 04 but knows a lot about how a SC works on one ...

rednari
    Starting with FI basics: a Roots type charger (Maggie/Eaton) has twin screws and provides good low end power and thus is considered good for the street, as in stoplight to stoplight. A turbo is driven by impellors in the exhaust and must spool up to 4000 RPM before it makes power; while a procharger uses a belt driven pump, like the Maggie, to force air into the motor. The pump works on centrifical force. It is considered a compromise between the turbo and the Maggie in that it provides decent low end power and also a good top end, something the turbo is noted for.

So, first you must decide what you want to do with the power. If you have the stock gear in the rear axle, then a Maggie is a good choice for accelerating our heavy cars from a stop. If you have a bigger gear, say a 3.91, then low end power is not as important and the Procharger is a good choice. If you do a lot of highway or road course racing where the RPMs are 4000 and higher, then you should consider a turbo. All systems cost approximately the same, about $6000 installed.

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by rednari View Post
    Starting with FI basics: a Roots type charger (Maggie/Eaton) has twin screws and provides good low end power and thus is considered good for the street, as in stoplight to stoplight. A turbo is driven by impellors in the exhaust and must spool up to 4000 RPM before it makes power; while a procharger uses a belt driven pump, like the Maggie, to force air into the motor. The pump works on centrifical force. It is considered a compromise between the turbo and the Maggie in that it provides decent low end power and also a good top end, something the turbo is noted for.

So, first you must decide what you want to do with the power. If you have the stock gear in the rear axle, then a Maggie is a good choice for accelerating our heavy cars from a stop. If you have a bigger gear, say a 3.91, then low end power is not as important and the Procharger is a good choice. If you do a lot of highway or road course racing where the RPMs are 4000 and higher, then you should consider a turbo. All systems cost approximately the same, about $6000 installed.
    Got2Goats, I got your E-mail, Rednari here pretty well summed it up, BTW turn on you PM feature. The Maggie, makes better low -end torque, than the procharger, however, whatever you decide on 100+ Rwhp you will be happy with.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by got2goats View Post
    i have a 2006 gto and i want some advise on either supercharger or turbo chargers at this point im am thinking about going with a procharger kit
    Put a good nitrous kit on it for a 1/5 of the price!! It will be faster and LESS wear on the motor. The S/C or Turbo is on ALL the time wearing on everything were as the nitrous is only on for seconds at a time.
    You can safely blow 175 through your LS2 ALL day. You will NOT see that kind of gain from those other two choices unless you spend $7500+.

With the left over thousands you can get you bags,sfc,3.91's,F.A.S.T. intake,and drag radials. = a low 11/high 10 second daily driver on 17's
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Not true. A supercharger may be putting stress on the crank due to a pulley, but there is no boost being made unless there is a load on the engine. A turbo puts no stress on a motor unless a load is on the engine and you are under boost. A turbo car drives exactly like a NA car until you hit the go peddle. Both a turbo and supercharged car can be driven down the highway at 5000 rpm and make no boost. I have a TSI Talon and a GN, both turbo cars, and the GNs are known to run up to 200,000 miles and still be able to run low 11s in the 1/4 without ever taking a valve cover off. If you know what you're doing, turbo cars can run well for a very long time. Nitrous can make power for cheap, but as with any modification crap can happen.

Also, you don't have to be at 4000 rpm to make boost on a turbo car. My GN makes 10 lbs of boost on a decent sized turbo at 2500 rpm. Once I let off the brake at the track it shoots strait to 27lbs in less than half a second. Oh, and this is on 93 octane and alky.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK6PACK View Post
    Not true. A supercharger may be putting stress on the crank due to a pulley, but there is no boost being made unless there is a load on the engine. A turbo puts no stress on a motor unless a load is on the engine and you are under boost. A turbo car drives exactly like a NA car until you hit the go peddle. Both a turbo and supercharged car can be driven down the highway at 5000 rpm and make no boost. I have a TSI Talon and a GN, both turbo cars, and the GNs are known to run up to 200,000 miles and still be able to run low 11s in the 1/4 without ever taking a valve cover off. If you know what you're doing, turbo cars can run well for a very long time. Nitrous can make power for cheap, but as with any modification crap can happen.

Also, you don't have to be at 4000 rpm to make boost on a turbo car. My GN makes 10 lbs of boost on a decent sized turbo at 2500 rpm. Once I let off the brake at the track it shoots strait to 27lbs in less than half a second. Oh, and this is on 93 octane and alky.
    How many people drive around pussy footing it with NO boost?
    I'm talking in the real world. You can't get on the throttle with out boost which is added stress.
    I have had MANY 5.0 with 170,000+ with 250 shots going 10's all day too that doesn't mean squat.
    Shit can happen I know just as many people that have had fittings break,crack,and melt (that's right melt those real nice STS kits that came with the plastic fittings) that caused oil to delete itself and caused way more damage than me lifting a ring land.
    If it is stock boosted great. But for the money it cost's to add on a N/A car not for me unless my pocket is unlimited which many are.

Thread Information