White
    1999 WS6

Want a bigger cam!

Ok I currently have a comp cam 224/230 581/592 114LSA cam and I would like to get a cam that is a little bigger. I dont know a whole lot about cams and I was wondering how much of a difference is there if I was to go with a 230/236 .592/.602 112LSA. Is this a decent cam for a daily driven car? Would it be worth the time to switch over from my cam to this cam?

Also Would I be able to achieve 400rwhp with this cam, LT headers, LS6 intake,K&N, Lid, Ypipe, catback, and a ported TB? How rough is the idle with a 112LSA? Can someone post a vid so I can hear one idle? Thanks alot Jon

99 Firebird Formula

Jon have you dyno'd your car with that cam in it? With your mods you should be fairly close to 400hp already.

White
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    Jon have you dyno'd your car with that cam in it? With your mods you should be fairly close to 400hp already.
    I did dyno and the car made 365rwhp which i though was kinda low? However it trapped 114 in warm weather. What kind of power are cars puttin down that trap around 114-115?

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra2WS6
    I did dyno and the car made 365rwhp which i though was kinda low? However it trapped 114 in warm weather. What kind of power are cars puttin down that trap around 114-115?
    That number seems very very low. Have you tried letting someone tune it? I bet you are missing out on 30-40hp right there if you haven't tuned since the headers and cam.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

what kind of dyno was used. mustang dynoes dyno lower.
    a 114-115 trap = 11s
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

White
    1999 WS6

This was on a dyno jet and the car was tuned... However The car gained virtually nothing off the tune. When we did our first pull it put down about 362, and after tuning it it went to 365. A/F was around 11.8, so i dont know whats going on

that doesn't sound right at all you should have way more than that especially on a dynojet..........If you didn't gain any HP from the tune something is probably wrong. Do you trust the person who tuned it? I assume that they tuned it with LS1 edit?

Also Would I be able to achieve 400rwhp with this cam, LT headers, LS6 intake,K&N, Lid, Ypipe, catback, and a ported TB?
    I agree with Keliente, you should be pretty near to you're desired 400RWHP goal already. Also, just my two cents, but, I think you should maintain the cam that you already have in you're engine.... and consider new heads in it's place.

Why sacrifice driveabilty (despite whatever tuning that can be done later on), when all you really need for you're particular goal of 400RWHP (and then some) is a set of better flowing heads. I know I know, too expensive...

White
    1999 WS6

Car was tuned with LS1 edit, also I do have 4.10's which i heard will make it dyno less but not no 35rwhp. I have considered heads, but yes they are expensive and isnt it a pain in the A$$ to swap the heads?

I have considered heads, but yes they are expensive and isnt it a pain in the A$$ to swap the heads?
    It's not too difficult, but if it's you're first time, I'd honestly recommend having a good shop do it for you. You've got yourself a decent cam in there now, so why not take advantage of it's full potential. Also, it's just a matter of time until you decide that you want 500RWHP next, and if you go with a good set of heads now, it'll be that much more easier for you later on...

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I think the dyno you were on wasn't calibrated properly that's my best guess. If you didn't get anything from the tune, find a shop that uses HP tuners, I used LS1 edit at one shop and gained about 25 extra hp but when I used HP tuners it netted me an extra 30 on top of the 25. There's different tuning parameters in HP so you can tune a little bit more than LS1 edit. But with you cam and setup you should be putting down at least 385-390 with that cam. With a 112 LSA, the idle is decent and sounds pretty lumpy. I run a 110 and it's choppy as hell but I love it. Driveability definately went out the window with my cam. I just installed a power brake booster and it made life a little easier but cold starts in the morning are a PITA!

White
    1999 WS6

Ill have to find a shop that uses HP tuners then. ANy one know some shops in Florida between Tampa and Naples? That would be sweet if the car is making around 380+, All I need is to hook up the 150 shot and that should put me around 500+
    Last edited by Cobra2WS6; 04-09-2006 at 09:08 PM.

Ill have to find a shop that uses HP tuners then. ANy one know some shops in Florida between Tampa and Naples? That would be sweet if the car is making around 380+, All I need is to hook up the 150 shot and that should put me around 500+
    you better make sure that tune is good with a shot like that...........do you still have the ten bolt in there or a twelve?

White
    1999 WS6

I got the stock rear, I dont plan on launchin hard. I agree though I am going to deff make sure my tune is good before i spray again. The car use to have a NX 150 on it before I bought it.

Black
    2002 Camaro

I just put in a bigger cam in my set-up that ius close to what you probably want to run, here are my specs, Currently I have....
    SLP Lid
    SLP Smooth Bellows
    Granateli MAF for Cold Air
    Double roller timing chain
    MSD Coils
    MSD Wires
    NGK Plugs
    Dynatech Stainless Long Tube Headers, Y-Pipe, Cats (3")
    2 Stages of NOS 1-dry 1-wet
    Fibreglass SS Hood (functional)
    Comp Cams Pushrods
    Comp Cams Valve Springs
    Comp Cams 1.8:1 Roller Rockers
    and just installed the Comp Cams Cam

My cam specs are 222 225 @ 050 with 566 568 lift and 112 LSA, but with the rockers its over .61 lift
    I just started it for the first time today and man its rough, I need to tune it yet but I laso need to install my 60Lb/hr injectors first.
    The cam is severly lopi, I havent bolted on the exaust yet though and that can have a difference on how smooth the idle is.

Does anyone know about what kinda HP I will see with this set-up??? and what kinda times I would run in the 1/4??? I have a A4, and just swapped in a Eaton Posi with 3.73:1 gears, My vehicle is also lightened by about 70 lbs.
    Thanks guys and hope my input helps you with your cam queastion.

Black
    2002 Camaro

One more thing.... It smells like my car engine is idling way rich.... How is this possible with my current add-ons, I should be lean. Also I tune with EFI Live and I am a beginer but am quickly learning.... Why is it my timing is all over the place at idle since I put my cam in??? It fluctuates from 25 advanced to 5 advanced over the period of less than a second..... I also think its running rich because when I hold about 1600 RPM for a second or two all of sudden the sound cleans up and the RPM's raise 400-500 with the same throttle position. Anyone have any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroCrazyChris
    One more thing.... It smells like my car engine is idling way rich.... How is this possible with my current add-ons, I should be lean. Also I tune with EFI Live and I am a beginer but am quickly learning.... Why is it my timing is all over the place at idle since I put my cam in??? It fluctuates from 25 advanced to 5 advanced over the period of less than a second..... I also think its running rich because when I hold about 1600 RPM for a second or two all of sudden the sound cleans up and the RPM's raise 400-500 with the same throttle position. Anyone have any ideas.
    get those injectors in there and get it tuned ASAP...........

Black
    2002 Camaro

I havent got the injecyors in yet but I did do some minor tuning to the spark timing side of things and that seemed to really help. Now the engine fires right up cleanly and comes to a quick idle of 800 with no signs of missing or unburnt fuel. I need to get a Wide band O2 so I can do my tuning for the rest of the RPM range.
    Thanks guys

Thread Information