Thread: hello everyone

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

hello everyone

hey guys.

i've seen this place several times. some of you may have heard of a place called mymonte.com. i've been a member over there for the past...6 years now i guess it has been. anyway. the monte is basically shot and my parents have agreed to purchase me a new(er) car that is more reliable...with one condition...keep it under or right about $12k.

so i found a '99 z28 black 6 speed with t-tops. dealer wants $12,995. i blue booked it and it comes out to $10,200 (roughly). i figure i'll print off the sheet and offer them $10,500 and see if they bite.

anyway...to my point here...

like i said i need a reliable car, but want one that i will actually like an want to keep for a long time. so i found the z. now...i will have to drive this car during the winter. i live in WI mind you.

so how horrible are the 4th gen f-bodies in the winter? i mean...i know it's rwd so a couple cinder blocks or sand bags and a light touch on the clutch and gas during the winter...but i should really be okay...shouldn't i?

if all goes according to plan i should be going to look at this thing this week and maybe picking it up as well.

otherwise...i hear rumor they have a firehawk that i might try and see if i can get...hehe...

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

oh and i guess i might also ask...when i go and check out the car...what kinds of things should i look for...i mean mechanically sound and whatnot.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my wife daily drove our f-body the first 2 years we had it during Ohio winters. Granted, they're not WI winters but still had snow and ice. Although not fun she proved it could be done. F-bodies just aren't good winter cars period but if you can suffer through and make it until summer that's when it's all worth it.
    f-bods are pretty reliable cars. The LS1 is an extremely durable motor and there's really not a ton of stuff that's common to break. The rear ends in these cars are less than ideal. Might want to crawl under and see if the pinion seal is leaking ( my money is that it is). Maybe hunt around and see if you have a local f-body club and have someone go check it out with you. Also, look in the for sale section here and get a good ideal of what similar cars are going for from individuals. You can save a nice chunk of cash by buying it off of a person instead of a dealer.

RED
    2001 Z28

I drive my 2001 Z in colorado springs and i didnt bring it out at all this winter because i knew i would not be able to get it back up my drive way... good luck

RED
    2001 Z28

but in the cars defense its lowered pretty low (and i didnt shovel !!)

silver
    2002 Z28 6MT

I have a friend who drive his SS as his winter beater with snow tires!!!
    His other car is a FR 99 vette. Snows are key.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

sounds good. thanks for the info. i'm going down to check the car out on thursday afternoon. going to check the engine for leaks, weird noises, rear end for weird noises, driveshaft for clunks when shifting, pinion seal on the rearend, clutch feel...i guess that's about it huh. wish me luck.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

went down and checked the car out tonite. i'm getting it for $10,500...only thing is i have to put in a blinker switch. he said he could replace it but it would cost more and it wouldn't be done until monday...piss on that i'll do it myself. blinker works it just doesn't cancel itself.

anyway...

drove it...found out it has a performance clutch (unsure of what brand) and a hurst shifter. i believe it also has an aftermarket muffler. i'm picking it up saturday...i'm excited as hell. i've bee in love with these cars since they came out in 1997.

Thread Information