Thread: Big Cam!

6SpeedZ

Medium Patriot Red
    1993 Camaro

Big Cam!

I've got a BIG CAM question... My car is a 1993 w/out mass air. I want to get the biggest friggin cam out there... Which is what??? I've done some searching and from what I can find the CompCams cc306 is, is it really? If so I had planned to go with CompCams 1.6:1 rocker arms, and new springs. Would my computer still function correctly with all that added?... Would I need larger injectors, computer tuning, anything??? I've already got Richmond 3:73 gears (thinking about 4:11's?), MSD Distributor & wires, Iridium plugs, Manual fan switch, Thermostat delete (I know I know), Lower control arms, Subframe connectors, Strut tower brace, CAI, Flowmaster cat-back w/ gutted cat... Very soon I'm going to be adding a 75-125dry shot of nitrous and a exhaust cutout
    Last edited by SloLt1Camaro; 08-23-2006 at 07:32 PM.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

The biggest cam out there would be a HUGE custom grind of whatever you want. But, if you're serious about a big cam, you'll need larger heads to support to demand for flow, injectors, definately a tune, and probably all new valvetrain with a double-roller timing chain. Have fun spending all that money...

6SpeedZ

Medium Patriot Red
    1993 Camaro

Could a skate by gettin my heads worked real nice along with the valvetrain being upgraded, and just sticking with a pre-made big cam?

Sebring Silver
    97 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SloLt1Camaro View Post
    Could a skate by gettin my heads worked real nice along with the valvetrain being upgraded, and just sticking with a pre-made big cam?
    If your gonna have someone work over that heads.. You need to get the flow #'s from them after there done and have to cam match to the heads..
    You can just toss in a "big cam" with stock or mildly worked over heads not knowing what they flow and expect it to run well.. You can only go as fast as the heads will allow you too..
    If you just wanna keep the stock heads.. The CC306 will work good.. But alot better if there ported..

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod18_69 View Post
    If your gonna have someone work over that heads.. You need to get the flow #'s from them after there done and have to cam match to the heads..
    That's a good point. For full potential of the cam, the heads should be matched to the cam. They sell packages out there of matching H/C setups.

6SpeedZ

Medium Patriot Red
    1993 Camaro

Is it going to be cheaper to buy a big cam/head combo.. or buy a big cam and get my heads worked?

WHI
    96 BC4 CAMARO

Comp Cams Suggested A 292xfi For My Lt1. 242/248, 584/579, 113. Also Said Anything Bigger Would Need Bigger Converter.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Is it going to be cheaper to buy a big cam/head combo.. or buy a big cam and get my heads worked?
    Porting your stockers may not be large enough for a BIG cam. Stock heads, even ported, have limits.

6SpeedZ

Medium Patriot Red
    1993 Camaro

a converter isn't a problem... I've got a 6speed...

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

And if you plan on spraying later on, you may want to look for a cam with smaller LSa, like around 110-112. The overlap will help knock down cylinder pressure some and prevent throwing a rod.

6SpeedZ

Medium Patriot Red
    1993 Camaro

I do plan to spray, but not much (75-100 dry)... the higher the LSA... the rougher the idle, right?

6SpeedZ

Medium Patriot Red
    1993 Camaro

in addition to my other question... if I get the head/cam combo installed, since my car is a 1993, will I need tuning?

red
    95 Z28

you'll need tuning on any year of F body with a h/c package. And yours will suck, because you're going to have to find someone that has a dyno and the equipment to burn new chips, unless you want to settle for a shitty mail order tune.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    you'll need tuning on any year of F body with a h/c package. And yours will suck, because you're going to have to find someone that has a dyno and the equipment to burn new chips, unless you want to settle for a shitty mail order tune.
    One thing that sucks with the 93's. That's why I don't like first-year cars. (93 started a new model design for the f-bods, GM tweaked and changed some things for the 94 model year). But you almost always need a tune for any car with new heads/cam.

red
    96 ss

http://www.advancedinduction.com/Abare.html

just to name 1 of many that do it for a living, notice in the info from the link, he is using stock castings that have been worked on. heads and cam normally run over 1,500 for just the parts and labor.then you need injectors, tune, gears/stall. then you gotta ask yourself " since i did all this do i need to make sure my exhaust is up to par and my intake has been reworked to make sure its not as much of a bottle neck". then comes push rod length being correct if the heads are milled down any. its not as simple as just buying 1 piece ( like a CAI) that doesn't effect as much, like more simple mods do. you have to look at the big picture as well. will i be spraying more than the 125 i am thinking about, the head guy needs to know so he can get the cam cut right for the heads and the bottle. good luck with any choice you make, just make it a well informed choice.

Thread Information