red
    2001 formula

Front Licence Plate Installation?

I gave my 20 year old college daughter my 2001 formula [red] and she went off to Huntsville Texas. Anyway she just called me and said the Texas State Trooper just pulled her over for not having a front license plate installed. The car has never had a front plate installed and I was never pulled over. She said it was a young Trooper. I guess he saw a hot chick in a hot car and wanted to show authority or maybe get a phone number. Anyway I guess I need to remove the Bird on the bumper cover. How do I remove it and how do I install a front plate. Thanks for the help.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Easiest cheap way to deal with it all is put the plate on the dash and use some suction cups to attach it to the windshield. Not sure if this is still legal, but I believe it is. Otherwise you have to get the license plate holder from somewhere and attach it. Should be an easy job most likely a few screws.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

20 year old daughter away at college in your [red] Formula? The bird plate cover is held in place by two screws at the top of the cover.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 09-09-2007 at 07:06 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

Here in Ohio it's illegal to have the plate in the windsheild. I asked a state trooper about it to be sure. People still do it though.

red
    2001 formula

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    20 year old daughter away at college in your [red] Formula? The bird plate cover is held in place by two screws at the top of the cover.
    Its actually her third year at college. She completed 2 years at a junior college. Also its her first year away with the firebird. She had a 94 Camaro away at the junior college I had to remove the Bowtie emblem from the front of that car also. Our Texas Troopers seem to notice things like that even though I was never stopped in any car for a front plate.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

the birdplate can be detached using a security hex wrench [the wrench that looks like a star]. There are 2 small screws located on the bottom of the plate. Simply remove them, pull out and down and the plate comes out. No need for a mounting bracket.

Some have had luck mounting the liscense plate to their air-deflector under the radiator

Black
    2002 Firehawk

I had to do the same with mine, hated having to do it. A lot of people in san antonio don't put the front plate on but it is required. Most cops will not pull you over for it, but I dont feel like getting a ticket. Like said before, real easy with only two screws at the bottom of the plate.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

As stated above there are two torx bit screw #15 will do the job. When I removed mine to look behind it the screws that hold the plate are in there as well. Dont know if that goes for all birds but mine had them in there already.

red
    2001 formula

Thanks guys for the info I guess I will remove the bird and store it away until such time we are allowed to go single plate here in Texas. I have a 03 Monte Carlo s/s for almost 5 years now and it has never had a front plate on it and I have never been questioned about it. I guess it being black verses the red firebird its not high profile. Thanks again for the removal tips.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Hope this helps some:

You can actually mount the plate and cover it for shows if you want. Then simply take those two hex screws out to reveal the plate after the show, if that makes sense.....

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

As for putting the plate in the windshield. A cop friend of mine told me that it has to be visible (readable) to oncoming traffic. So if you can mount it up that way with some suction cups then you should be all set.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

My plate cover came in a plastic bag when I bought the car. It's never been mounted. I've known too many other people that had em stolen.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    My plate cover came in a plastic bag when I bought the car. It's never been mounted. I've known too many other people that had em stolen.
    You need the right star shaped driver to take it off. If you mount it with standard screws .... Yup, it will be gone. If you mount it with the security screws ... Which is a pin in the center of an allen you have even more security. If you use one security screw and one star shaped one I would think you'd be able to keep it one there.

For me, I only put mine on for shows, meets, or pictures. The rest of the time it's in the trunk cubby with the star driver for quick installation. I wish the clear covers were legal. I'd put one of those on there with a Firebird decal over it. That would be kewl .... but, I'd get a ticket day one. ;=)

red
    2001 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    Hope this helps some:

Click for full size

Click for full size

You can actually mount the plate and cover it for shows if you want. Then simply take those two hex screws out to reveal the plate after the show, if that makes sense.....
    Thanks for the picture. I sure like the bird on the nose but since my daughter is driving the car regularly I will give in to the wonderful Texas DPS troopers and obey our laws. Whats weird I have a 77 corvette and I have antique plates on that car and Texas only issues one plate . Go figure that out.

Thread Information