Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Thumbs down The Good News and... The Bad News..

First of all I wanted to say that these LS1 F-bodies are by far the king of the streets in majority... There is always something faster but by majority standards.. F-body's own the streets

The Good News:

This past Saturday I went out cruising with my buddy riding passenger... Well its a local street here in Oklahoma that everyone drives up and down on Saturday nights... 3 lanes back and forth... and it turns into a 4 lane like 5 miles down the road, with u turns every quarter mile or so... No cops, perfect place to go drive around and get some races... Well first (and last) race of the night I am next to a older 97 mustang GT 4.6L, but it had a vortec blower, not loud but I talked to the guy after word and he was real cool said he was pushing 7psi... Anyways we played around from a 40 roll and we took off I pulled about a car and he started inching back around 80 but still half a car back by 100 or so and he let out of it.. We slowed down and honked it at 25mph and I just pulled right off and once he started making boost I stopped pulling but he just let off a few cars back... Well he signaled for a u turn and we turned around and he wanted to do it from a stop.. Didn't sound too good for me since he had thick meaty tires and I had 255R16's at 20psi... He honked it and I couldn't believe how well my car hooked, spun them about half a turn and hooked like crazy, I pulled a car right off the start and pulled another before he even started making boost and then he let off... He wanted one more time from a 40, so we took off and I got out about a half car and he just walked by me like I was setting still, so I knew something was weird, I just thought I might have shifted slower or something.. We pulled over and talked for a little while and everything.. He was a little pissed that my car only had full exhaust, lid, and a tune, 6 speed with stock gears...

The Bad News:

After he took off we decided to cruise some more... I started it up, turned the wheel and tried to turn, Clunk Clunk Clunk from the rear end, I first thought I might have popped a u joint, we looked and it wasn't.. In a straight line it was quiet as can be, but turning a corner "under load" it was just god awful clunking.. I drove it home hoping to make it, I idled around corners, it did fine.. We pulled the diff cover off to find out that the stock differential was not only cracked but Completely cracked in half all the way around it... The pinion nicked it because it had 2 inches of pinion tread engraved in it... and it as just completely demolished it, split the differential in half, kinda crazy to me... I think it put too much stress on it hooking that good and there it when lol.. What I think the Clunk Clunk was the limited slip wouldn't disengage like it is suppose too around corners and such so it was binding up and making the clunking noise under load around corners... Either way I think it happened when my car hooked from hell which would explain why he pulled so weird that last time.. (its a stock 10 bolt)

The Other Goods News:

My buddy had pulled a 10 bolt out of a auto z28 and told me he would give me the hosing if I needed it... Well I pulled out the 3rd member and realized it had 2.73 gears.. So I ordered 4.10 gears from Motive, with a 2.73 ring gear spacer, Moser axles, and a T/A diff cover with the set screws.... I should get the stuff in this week.. The 4.10 gears should make quite a difference I hope.. I know I should of went with a 12 bolt, but 2,500 is a lot right now, when it only cost me 500$ to start out with a basically brand new strong 10 bolt.. Since I got a stock differential for free and paid for moser axles, gears, and a stronger diff cover..
    Last edited by SteelmanLS1; 03-10-2008 at 09:45 PM.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

good luck i hope everyting works out for you im in the same boat i cant afford a big rear end either. do you sfc's i would imagine you will need them after the 4.10's?
    Last edited by t-rock; 03-11-2008 at 05:11 PM.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

well im in the boat with you guys!

im inthe same situation , and i was under thimpression it would all said and done a moser 9 in ,with abs,and traction control would be like 2700,then install fees , im in the low 3,000 range , i have other things more important right now ,so what i plan on is just getting 410's (my rear is still good ) puttin em in ,and just keeping my fingers crossed , but even if i only get a couple passes it will still be worth it! good luck guys

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    good luck i hope everyting works out for you im in the same boat i cant afford a big rear end either. do you sbc's i would imagine you will need them after the 4.10's?
    Are you meaning sub frame connectors? If not then I'm not sure what sbc's are..

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Hey Steelman, where are you talking about in OKC?
    I'm from Tulsa i've got 4 others buddys with LS1s and we've always wanted 2 make a trip down there 2 cruise for a friday or saturday nite but don't know where we would go or where anybody cruises haha.
    We're all from Tulsa.
    -stos

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

isnt there a drag strip around tulsa you guys could meet at?

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

Everyone cruises 39th street through Bethany and OKC on Saturday nights. Sounds to me you had some nasty wheel hop that will cause it to break like you described. Unfortuanetly I know from experience.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by '99 SLP#24 View Post
    Everyone cruises 39th street through Bethany and OKC on Saturday nights. Sounds to me you had some nasty wheel hop that will cause it to break like you described. Unfortuanetly I know from experience.
    X2 thats where everyone cruises..

And I have/had ZERO wheel hop.. It just hooked like I had 12" slicks

Thread Information