Thread: Gas Guzzler

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Gas Guzzler

Just wanted to check with everyone. Got a stock 02' TA, just lid and bellow on it so far, had it about a year. Now I know I am not supposed to get kick ass mileage, i didn't buy the car for that. I get usually around 14 to 16 mpg city driving most of the time. I hear some other people getting more in other threads. Is this normal or should there be something I should be checking?

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

the airfilter might be filled up.
    otherwise are you keeping your foot out of it?
    I get 22-23 mpg with my 98 z28 and 3.73's
    my old 98 z28 w/ stock 3.23's got 26-28 mpg
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

EPA rating sticker on my car was 18 city/26 highway - generally higher than what you actually get. I get a lot less than that now after my mods, especially if I put my foot in it. Depends on your city too, only a stoplight every couple miles for me in Jax between lights now - where I grew up in Chicago there were lights every other block. If you have RFG fuel in your area that'll make a difference too.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

I am thinking it is pretty normal but just wondering, I dont drive granny style by an means, got a 1 yr old K&N air filter so its still good, a lot of city driving mainly, but I was curious what others are getting, thats good in the 20's!! I am getting headers and exhaust put on soon so that should help out a little from what i hear.

White
    '02 Camaro SS

I have an '02 SS convertable, lightly modded with handling and airflow upgrades That's including a Holley filter in the Blackwing lid that came with the 350 hp option. This car is my weekend toy, less than 7k miles.
    I can easily see 25 mpg on a long highway run and have never gotten less than 20 mpg on a tankful.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

putting around the city i get about 13-16. I dont know high way yet, haven't took any trips.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Well I guess I am not doing bad, pretty normal. I drive my shitty 95 Honda when I want good mileage, going to work and back anyways. Nice to have as a spare car

Black
    '98 Z28

My old '98 TA i usually got around 24 avg. per tank, combination of city/highway. I've gotten 29 many times on highway use.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

For me the high numbers only come when I am driving like an adult on the highway. Having a six speed really makes a difference. You need to also make sure everything is tuned up good plugs, filters, tire pressure, etc. In town I don't do near as well, mostly because of driving habits. Tonight because of the track I went 1 mile (maybe 10 with the drive to and back from the track) and I used up almost 1/4 of a tank so they can have a wide range of MPG.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

I was thinking about things like the plugs, filter, etc..... Do you think some new plugs might help. Car only has 14K miles on it. I am not the mechanically inclined, so not really sure what to check out.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by TX02TRANSAM View Post
    I am thinking it is pretty normal but just wondering, I dont drive granny style by an means, got a 1 yr old K&N air filter so its still good, a lot of city driving mainly, but I was curious what others are getting, thats good in the 20's!! I am getting headers and exhaust put on soon so that should help out a little from what i hear.
    How many times have you cleaned it? Some of the dirtiest filters i've seen were k&n's, people buy them and don't clean them for some reason...probably because it's messy as hell. I just use paper filters and replace them every other oil change...they also make synthetic filters now so there's no mess with re-chargeing.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    How many times have you cleaned it? Some of the dirtiest filters i've seen were k&n's, people buy them and don't clean them for some reason...probably because it's messy as hell. I just use paper filters and replace them every other oil change...they also make synthetic filters now so there's no mess with re-chargeing.
    Never have. Have driven about 9K mile with it in. K&N's are supposed to be better when they get a little broken in right?

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

sounds normal man....my fist 98 z28 camaro got 15 in city and 29 on hwy......
    Lol just be glad u dont get what my cammed and stalled 2000 gets..... about 8-14 in city.....MAYB 20 on hwy at 55 or 60

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

i just got 25 on a 300 mile trip and i was driving hard.

Thread Information