Thread: Advice

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

Advice

Well... it's that time of year again! Tax Time...

Every year I usually save half of my refund and spend the other half on something for me. This year I think I feel the need to splurge. What I have wanted more than anything is to buy the SLP long tube headers for the hawk. I've been looking for the best price on the web and the best deal until now has been with Maryland Speed ($1,311.00 shipped). This includes headers, y-pipe, install kit, and high flow cats.

I was just looking at eBay and look what I found... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...em110220376093

$800.00 shipped!! I'm scratching my head here thinking, what am I missing here. Is it used, nope. Then I was thinking, will it fit properly? Why is it that the headers were made for specific years? (ie. 1998-1999, 2000, or 2001-2002). This ad does not specify what year like every other ad.

So.... what should I do?

1) eBay: Take the chance, buy now, save $500, and hope they fit?
    2) Maryland Speed: Wait until tax money comes in and have the comfort of knowing I bought the correct parts.

Thanks

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

i saw them on ebay aswell,but remember that SLP headers are known for horrible ground clearance.id tell you to do your research,look @ the header posts on here & keep looking around.i just received the like new headers& ory i bought off ebay(pacesetter LT jet hot coated)& paid only $280 shipped

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

DO NOT GET SLP HEADERS! You will drag them down the road. You can get far better headers for half the money.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    DO NOT GET SLP HEADERS! You will drag them down the road. You can get far better headers for half the money.
    Thanks for the advice! Maybe I need more than I thought...

The reason that I fell in love with the SLP headers is because of the potential HP gains! I frequent the drag strip and I am looking for the highest HP gain. The Pacesetter Long Tubes advertise a 20 HP gain... SLP Long Tubes advertise 41 HP gain. That's hard to ignore! What is the difference in ground clearance??

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 2K2 HAWK View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Maybe I need more than I thought...

The reason that I fell in love with the SLP headers is because of the potential HP gains! I frequent the drag strip and I am looking for the highest HP gain. The Pacesetter Long Tubes advertise a 20 HP gain... SLP Long Tubes advertise 41 HP gain. That's hard to ignore! What is the difference in ground clearance??
    SLP longtubes are equal length. They have lots of bends which weave in and out of each other. They hang super low and don't give you the gains of an equal length because of all of the bends. Sure, they will give you 41 HP but this is them not telling you the whole story. You will need some other bolt ons to get that 41 hp.

If you want the best, go w/ QTP, KOOKS, ARH, Dynatech, and so on. If you want to get headers and have money left over for another mod, get Pacesetters. you will see around 25-30 hp gain

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

QTP Stainless Steel here. I got them used for half price. Best mod yet and the fit was very good. They tuck up well. My TD's (mufflers) hang down lower than the headers.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

Sure, they will give you 41 HP but this is them not telling you the whole story. You will need some other bolt ons to get that 41 hp.
    You know... that's really sneaky, but I'm glad you told me! It makes sense... really, how could the HP numbers be so much higher than everyone else?!?! Thanks for the info.

The SLP LTH are off the list!

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

If you want the best, go w/ QTP, KOOKS, ARH, Dynatech, and so on. If you want to get headers and have money left over for another mod, get Pacesetters. you will see around 25-30 hp gain
    Will these be compatible with my SLP Loudmouth I exhaust?

I've started researching these different headers. Should I get the offroad or the emmission ready headers? Cats or offroad y-pipe? What's the difference as far as performance?? Thanks!

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I totally agree, Pacesetters are much better, cheaper and have outstanding ground clearence.

SOM
    2002 firebird formula

i have pacesetters on mine, paid 350 shipped for the headers and y pipe from ebay, slp is junk, get setters or even kooks etc...

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

Will these be compatible with my SLP Loudmouth I exhaust?

I've started researching these different headers. Should I get the offroad or the emmission ready headers? Cats or offroad y-pipe? What's the difference as far as performance?? Thanks!

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

any 3inch y should be compatible w/ the loudmouth.as far as emissions that depends on your states e-check procedures.the cats are good for some,bad for others,most guys on here will tell u to keep the cats when running a loudmouth catback `cause they help tame the "raspiness?"i also have the loudmouth,& decided to trash the cats & get an ORY(off road y-pipe).cant tell ya bout the performance gains yet,im waiting till spring to install mine
    Last edited by michaelinchains; 02-03-2008 at 09:20 AM.

327-TPI/A4
    1992 Trans am

I had a 95 t/a with dual cats and a slp lm1(for a lil while) I ran pacesetter LT's and hiflow cats with the lm1.......was ok......

then i swapped it up for a off road y-pipe and a hooker catback and was very happy with it haha........

Im lookin at a 99 camaro now so im gonna be going again with pacesetter Lt's, off road y-pipe and a lm2

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Fixured my refund out, all I get is 980 back, what the fuck, being single sucks ass.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Fixured my refund out, all I get is 980 back, what the fuck, being single sucks ass.
    Consider yourself lucky... I wind up getting a little something back from the Federal Return, but wind up paying most of it right back to NYS!! Now that sux!! Net Net I typically wind up with about $300-$500. I just don't understand how people get thousands back... I claim single zero zero. It propbably has something to do with the fact that I am single, don't own a house, don't have kids, and don't make a lot of money... so tax me the most!!!

Thread Information