White
    2002 Z28

mobil 1 15,000 mile formula

Is it safe to keep in for 15,000 miles? Its been one year and 9,000 miles so far.

Is this ok or should we change oil and filter?

i never go past 4k before a change couldnt imgaine 15

White
    2002 Z28

But isnt synthetic good for at least 10,000 miles. Especially if its the 15,000 mile formula, not the regular synthetic.

white
    2002 z28

may last that long but performance and safty or something will go down. every 3 K miles do it.

sarge get um

change the oil on a routine basis regardless of the type you use.
    Man buying a used car nowadays is just plain scary anymore, hard telling how people maintain these things

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    change the oil on a routine basis regardless of the type you use.
    Man buying a used car nowadays is just plain scary anymore, hard telling how people maintain these things
    Its the daily driver not the z28. I thought that would be ok.

I guess it's personal preference, if you don't like to spend the money on your daily driver and it's basically a beater/throw away car then I can understand I guess. I have always been a maintainance finatic and change my oil every 2,000 miles, even the daily cars,,,and even when using synthetic oils.

I am sure there are plenty of people out there that follow the maintainance schedule you are talking about and they get by with it. I won't sit here and tell you it's wrong or right, because everyone has their own ideas and experiences. But here is how I look at it.

If the oil manufacture says 5,000 miles are okay, or even as far as 15,000 miles,,,or the car manufacture says every 3,000 miles is fine,,,or 6,000 miles,,,,then I figure every 2,000 miles is even better. So I guess I change mine very early if comparing to what all the manufactures say,,,but it's what I prefer. What worries me even more is whether or not the oil filter can continue to filter oil after 5,000 miles, 6,000 miles,,,,or dare I say,,,15,000 miles,,,,Yikes. From what I have seen with various filters,,,I just don't trust them to filter oil much past 3,000 miles. So I change mine every 2,000 miles,,,I am not saying it's right or wrong either,,,,but it gives me piece of mind and oil related failure have been non existent for me,,,and engine tear downs for other reasons have shown very little wear if any,,,,after thousands of miles. So I am happy.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by zul8r2002 View Post
    Is it safe to keep in for 15,000 miles? Its been one year and 9,000 miles so far.

Is this ok or should we change oil and filter?
    You would've been better off just having conventional oil and changing the oil on regular intervals. I'm taking it you're on the same filter too..

If you feel like you'll be wasting the extra money spent on synthetic if you change it every 3-4k miles then just use dino...but change it like mentioned earlier. Sarge is the expert on this but i'm sure leaving the oil in so long will cause sludge to build up..

white
    2002 z28

well i get a oil change every 2 weeks on my beater, 270 K miles and leaks like a retired prostatoute, and still same oil filter for about 15K +

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I guess it's personal preference, if you don't like to spend the money on your daily driver and it's basically a beater/throw away car then I can understand I guess. I have always been a maintainance finatic and change my oil every 2,000 miles, even the daily cars,,,and even when using synthetic oils.

I am sure there are plenty of people out there that follow the maintainance schedule you are talking about and they get by with it. I won't sit here and tell you it's wrong or right, because everyone has their own ideas and experiences. But here is how I look at it.

If the oil manufacture says 5,000 miles are okay, or even as far as 15,000 miles,,,or the car manufacture says every 3,000 miles is fine,,,or 6,000 miles,,,,then I figure every 2,000 miles is even better. So I guess I change mine very early if comparing to what all the manufactures say,,,but it's what I prefer. What worries me even more is whether or not the oil filter can continue to filter oil after 5,000 miles, 6,000 miles,,,,or dare I say,,,15,000 miles,,,,Yikes. From what I have seen with various filters,,,I just don't trust them to filter oil much past 3,000 miles. So I change mine every 2,000 miles,,,I am not saying it's right or wrong either,,,,but it gives me piece of mind and oil related failure have been non existent for me,,,and engine tear downs for other reasons have shown very little wear if any,,,,after thousands of miles. So I am happy.

the adervtiesed oil life is on the bottle is the best they got from lots of testing and the best conditions and speeds and etc.. its kinda like saying that a slp ported MAF will give you 15 HP. haaaa . it will under the best condtions, big hp set up, and a tune from heaven. from what i heard

Thread Information