SOM
    1998 Trans Am

ws6 hood paint job?

How much should this run me, about? and also, should I go with it on my car or off? The lady on the phone said it would cost about 350 if they didnt do the underside? I have friend who knows someone, they said they would do it for 100$ should I go with him or with maaco?

black
    94z

350 is ok if they do the bottom to if not screw it. dont go to macco unless you know someone how can wet sand and buff. thats what makes the job anyways. make sure you put the hood on before you have it painted and check the lines to see if any adjusting or modifying is needed. it may be cheaper to take just the hood because they will not have to r&i the hood.be careful not to scrach the hood fenders or crack the wind sheild putting it on. ive hitwind shields with all kinds of things and never broke one, the last week i bareley, and i mean barely hit the back of the hood on a 04 gto right on the edge of the glass and it crack that mother like none other.so be careful as its not cheap to relace the windshield especially if it only takes a little patience to avoid.

white
    2002 z28

just make sure that your boy knows what hes doing on the paint. this is really tough to get right. and maaco is not the best but really cheap, but they also know how to do a good job but its like the ++++ speciacl,

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

so what place should I look for to take it so its done right? I would rather pay alittle more to get it right then to pay alittle and not get it done good. Ill talk to my guy and see if he will be able to do it well or not... anyways if anone knows some places like "maaco" that are all over the US and you know to be good let me know? thanks much.

black
    94z

ask to see some of his work in person. dont take pictures as proof anything can be hid in pics.check the color of the cars look for stripes in the paint check the texture of the clear. thats about all i can tell you. just do your home work. if you do youll get an A if not well then its going to be a clostly mistake. take for example if they dont seal the hood, it will peel. now your hood is fiberglass you cant strip it. you have to pay someone to sand and feather it prime it seal and paint it again. now that $250 you saved on not taking to the shop you asked at first youll have to put towards the guys doing it right. not to count the extra work they have to do. now you have your first 100 plus lets say 500 for fixing thier mess you now have a $600 paint job when it could have been 350. i have an idea. let him paint the bootom of your hood if your satisfied let him do it, if not let the body shop do it??? and MAKE SURE HE SEALS IT!!!!!!

white
    2002 z28

paint the bottom. now thats a good test!!! and not dissing maaco, sure they can do some good work, shoot they been around forever, but as far as paint shops, its honestly a dime a dozen for some great work. best bet is to go to local hang outs and see cars that were painted good, get comments, then referreals from them.....

put it this way FORD , ( the company FORD) for the detroint auto show has my dads freind paint all there display cars for the show and he does it out of his barn/paint booth about a hour away from detroit. i know crazy huh. but he is one of the best around here. he also charges probly like 1500+ just for a hood. the price can be from 100, like your said to 1500+

black
    94z

and the price reflects the job. if your good enough for people to pay you 500 to paint a hood why would you do it for 100? even my best friend has to pay me. not in cash always but we trade it out for work on my car, because i hate mechanic work so it works out good.dont get me wrong ill try to help anybody but i worked hard to get where im at and dont want anyone taking advantage of me.painting is a talent believe it or not.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

i found a guy that says he will do it for 550 he said for both sides, he will do it all and buff it cuz he dont like how black looks on fiber glass if not buffed and he said he guarantees his work. I guess its just his little shop there are only 2 people that work there him and one other guy. He said he did a mustang gt 07 hood yesterday said it looked really nice. probly gonna go here.

black
    94z

sounds good but ask to se something he painted. and look at it not pics.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

alright, will do.

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by luciangage View Post
    sounds good but ask to se something he painted. and look at it not pics.
    that sounds like a good thing for buyer to know, never done that before, but the painter might take that as a slp in the face. but i dont know

black
    94z

i do this for a living and if someone wants to see my work i show it. im proud of what i can do and he wont think of it as a slap in the face. what it also does is raises the bar if he thinks you know what you are talking about he is less likely to let something go he normally would. no paint is perfect but you want it as close to that as possible.

white
    2002 z28

true. didnt meen to affend any painters..

black
    94z

no offense. everyone here tries to help i think? i just think he should check out the guys work. you already have the hookup w/ your dads friend so you know what to look for. i just thought this guy might need some help because believe me there are many many guys out there who just try to do what they have to to get your money. it maybe the easiest way to rip some one off ever. you never know what is under that paint.

white
    2002 z28

the guy told me when he was at a dealership 20 years ago , if it was a really picky kinda person all about everything they would do a real good labor intence job, but if it was someone just needed a paint job or some old fart they would just get it done as fast as they can to get it out of there. i remembering him saying that he would have to repaint cars somtimes for the dicks. and that was at a dealership soo...

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

so act like I know what im talkin about? :P

black
    94z

yeah act like you do even if you dont! and yeah some guys just rush through because we are paid on commision. i get 50% of the labor so if i do a 20hr job in 10 hr i get paid for 20 hr. works out great i made $85000 last year but it was becuase we had a big hail storm. avg. year 50-60. just telling you this so you know how it works. the faster they go the bigger their pocket gets. and there are alot of really fast and good painters out there. overhaulin does their cars in a week just imagine those guys checks???

white
    2002 z28

soo was my dads friend correct then?

white
    2002 z28

all i know if they brought it back to get repainted they made sure that it was 100% and took there time soo it wasnt a 3 peat

black
    94z

hes 100% correct. no if they get caught the first time they try not to do it again.

Thread Information