Question LT1's happy with 89 octane gas?

When I first purchased my car I ran 87 which basically made it run like crap. I then switched to 93 and now with the HPP+ program installed running 93 is a must (do not turn this into a HPP+ bashing thread). Due to continue anal rape of gas prices I'm considering removing the program and switching to 89 octane fuel, will their be a problem with running this level of fuel? I know most people (including me) like treating their F-Bodys to the best of everything but my wallet is getting kind of thin here. If worst comes to worst I could always run a little octane booster and pick up like half a point lol.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

For the price of octane booster you might as well run the premium gas. What is another 2 or 3 dollars for a tank. Beside the harm it will cause your engine under strain or getting on it when it spark knocks. It not worth it to me. I'm not rich by no means, but 2 or 3 dollars will not break us surely.

thecog
    What about with a stock LT1? Will 87 do?

Thanks for the feed back guys, I'm just going to bite the bullet and run 93+. I figure if I can afford to run Royal Purple I can afford the good gas. And BTW if anyone wants cheap octane booster I found some O'Reillys, if you buy over 3 bottles you only pay a dollar bottle but I doubt this stuff has any real strength. On a different note I find it funny when I was young and stupid (senior in HS) all I did was run 87 in my car. I remember when I ran my tank down real low and filled it up with 93, even the tone in exhaust changed.

DisCrete
    Cerwin,

I've ran 87 89 and 92/93 in my LT1
    87 = worst 89 = economical portion for LT1's imho. and 92/93 is what WE SHOULD be running.. but not with gas prices $9.00/gallon.

87 stalled my car robbed of power.. 89 was ok.. not bad performance but not great either.... 92/93 noticeably more pull from the engine... specially running octane boost... that 104+ stuff is amazing octane boost.

The few bucks you save with low grade isnt worth the knock damage thats sure to occur... since i purchased my baby 2 years or so back nothing but 94 has gone in... and when gas is $12.57 a gallon, i'll stilll be usin 94

Honda Hunter
    89 is the highest grade we have here. Im having a tune sent to me and I told the tuner. I hope I still make decent power. Stock the car ran fine on 89 and 87.

89's the HIGHEST? Jeszuz shit where do you live??

Honda Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak
    89's the HIGHEST? Jeszuz shit where do you live??
    The Kingdom of Bahrain located in the Middle East. It's called Mumtaz(sp?) I cant understand how they import some of the cars they have here that require premium. Mabey theyre detuned?

red
    95 Z28

Octane is sometimes rated differently. It could actually be higher, who knows... That or the manufacturers may be tuning the cars to run on the gas you have there.

Lightbulb

This was my Old Sig
    96TA M6
    Bst ¼ 13.5@103Mph
    on 87™ Oct
    Uppdated
    BST ¼ 13.2 @ 106MPH
    on 93 octane

"Lucky" Luciano
    By federal law all cars have to run on 87. All PCM's have a low octane setting.

Now you will not get the best performance mind you and high performance cars won't perform to there ability, but they will run.

You should not have any pinging ether. The knock sensor will detect a constant flow of pinging, which of course will retard timing. But over a short time will resort to a much lower timing for continued use.

Again, you will not have the performance. Hey, can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by blackdog
    By federal law all cars have to run on 87. All PCM's have a low octane setting.

I am sorry that does not mean without hurting. I have own few cars; which require 91Octane Gas. THen can limp through on 87 for short distances.
    Just like your Temp Tire.

Thread Information