black
    1999 Trans Am

Problem after Problem

Is anyone else experiencing problem after problem with their f-body? I just got mine 2 months ago and already i had to replace the fuel pump or something like that (located in the gas tank) and now my engine lights on again. I just recently had a rear axel replaced because I spun out kissing the curb, screwed the rim up and bent the axel (my fault).

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I've had problems with my car but mostly because of me and I replaced them with better high performance parts and eliminated the problems one by one. How many miles are on your LS1? That may explain some problems. The SES may be on because of a bad 02 sensor, a misfire from fouled plugs or ignition problem, but there's a number of things. If I were you, get the car scanned to pinpoint the issue and fix it from there. You may have a problem with the injectors if they installed a hi Volume fuel pump

black
    1999 Trans Am

My car only has 27k miles. I went to have it checked out today and the engine light went off before I got there, but they said it was a weird code, something with air pump or something when it starts and not to worry about it.

Black
    2002 Camaro

The best advise I can give is fork-up the money and buy a scanner, and not one of those cheap $50-$100 units. Im talking something more seriouse like a $100-$200 unit. This way you will always have it for your convience, and you can see what the hell is going on when it happens. You can also make money off it by charging your freinds $5.00-$25.00 to scan their car and erase their codes for them!!!!

black
    1999 Trans Am

Which scanner unit would you reccomend? I don't know anything about them. Also is it true that you can adjust your factory settings with that and gain extra horsepower/tq?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Get tuning software like HPTuners. You'll be able to not only scan and clear codes, but super tune your engine to squeeze every bit of horsepower you can out of what you have...and then retune when you add mods. Check out more about them in the computer/tuning section.

Black
    2002 Camaro

I would hold off on the purchase of something like a actuall tuner. Personaly I use EFILive and let me tell you... You almost have to take a class to fully understand how your computer works, what tables it uses to make power and when, what to alter, what not to alter, and how to alter. Yes its true that these tuners can clear codes and super fine tune your engine for any aftermarket product you add such as heads cam, gears, But I think for now you should save yourseld $600.00 and just spend $150.00 on a good scan tool. I would recomend the actron units. I have had experience with these units and I was most pleased. You can find them at auto zone if you have one around you or go to autozone.com
    Dont get me wrong.... a tuner is one of the most powerfull tools you can ever buy for high performance engine work, but there is a general rule of thumb in tools..... Thats that the more powerfull the tool the more knowledge that is required to use it.
    If you are going to be in high performance for the long haul then I would definately EVENTUALLY recomend getting a tuner. For now though the scanner is what you need, If you are still intersted in the tuner though you can go to www.efilive.com and there you can begine studying on how to use this tool. You can even download the software for free and fool around with it a bit to try and teach yourself some of the basics before spending the money.
    Anyways.... ood luck to ya and im glad I could help.
    Last edited by CamaroCrazyChris; 11-03-2005 at 09:28 PM.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

i bought a scan tool (actron from autozone) and that was fine to clear the codes, but i wanted to know what was causing me to throw them and rather than to keep bugging Ed (Blown Vert) to check it out for me, I bought EFILIVE v6 and it was great till i needed to start doing my own tuning. Now i have hptuners...thats 200 for efi and autotap, 120 for the scan tool and 550 for hptuners. thats 870 in scanning/ tuning equip. if you plan on modding big later, then get a tuner package now and save some cash..i still need to buy a wideband and an EIO cable...another 350 or so.

Black
    99 SS

Boone, you want to come with me to the shop that does all my work?? im gettin my car mid next week and your more then welcome to come on up with me, its just in sharonville

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I have a actron also....I think it's awesome. It tells you the code and then scrolls the definition of the code under it....very handy

Thread Information