Black
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Need help with decisions on rebuilding ls1

Im kinda stuck in between a rock and a hard place. My camaro is my primary means of transportation but I can get around by other means.

Burning about a quart of oil every two gas tanks yet I still have some damn good power behind the beast. I have done compression tests and it seems the rings have gone bad on at least the back driver side cylinders because it takes longer to build compression on the back side.

I know that the ls1 uses piston sleeves in the block so its not like your regular rebuild where you would bore out the cylinder walls. From what I understand I would need to bore out the sleeves? If anyone has some experience or good info on this part that would be great

Now the other possibility is just to get the sleeves honed and rering the pistons but this is also dependent on the status of the sleeves. They could or could not be scarred.

If anyone has any experience with this situation and has found a decent priced way to do so please let me know.

Really open for suggestions for this one as I am new to this. In the end I will be putting either a nitrous system or turbo. Not sure yet when or what I will choose. THank for any help!

black
    1998 formula

Drive it till it blows

How many miles on it? What does it dyno at? You are gonna wanna do a rebuild anyway if it's high milage and you are planning to boost it. Try doing the catch can/PCV modifications, it helped reduce the oil usage on my 98 by a lot. A lot of these cars eat oil like there is no tomorrow but run great and are reliable. If it dynos well I would leave it alone but I am not an expert

Thread Information