Thread: Buffing Problem

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Buffing Problem

Ok, here's the deal, I recently had some a$$hole get overspray on my Z and was fighting with him to get it fixed. He arranged for me to take it to his buddies shop which it a reputable shop and his guys were going to wheel it all out, well they did with the edge of the wheel and left wheel marks on the clear. So I went and purchased some 3M dark swirl mark remover polish to see it they would come out. Well luckey they did by hand, so I descided to do the whole car. Which brings me to my problem, I borrowed my buddies buffer and did the whole car, well it was in the garage and not well lit, so today I went out and in the sunlight, depending on how the sun was hitting it, you could see the passes I made with the buffer. I used a wool buffing pad which seems pretty aggressive. I went out and did a couple spots by hand and they seemed to go away. What did I do wrong, how do I not do this again, and would I be ok with just going over it again by hand?

black
    1998 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by HasselZ28 View Post
    Ok, here's the deal, I recently had some a$$hole get overspray on my Z and was fighting with him to get it fixed. He arranged for me to take it to his buddies shop which it a reputable shop and his guys were going to wheel it all out, well they did with the edge of the wheel and left wheel marks on the clear. So I went and purchased some 3M dark swirl mark remover polish to see it they would come out. Well luckey they did by hand, so I descided to do the whole car. Which brings me to my problem, I borrowed my buddies buffer and did the whole car, well it was in the garage and not well lit, so today I went out and in the sunlight, depending on how the sun was hitting it, you could see the passes I made with the buffer. I used a wool buffing pad which seems pretty aggressive. I went out and did a couple spots by hand and they seemed to go away. What did I do wrong, how do I not do this again, and would I be ok with just going over it again by hand?
    hi were kinda going through the same problem too, we bought a ws6 2 weeks ago, and when we first saw it on the lot, it was beautifull, but when the sun hit it just right u could see terrible swirlls from the buffing job that the owner had gave it, well the dealership garenteed they could remove them in thier body shop.... when we went back to look at the car it was perfect, so we bought it... well guess what after we took it through a touchless car wash ansd parked it in our yars the swirls are back.. so they didnt really remove them like they told us, they just covered them up. so is that 3m polish that you used for black cars? i might have to give that a try..

Navy Blue Metallic

yeah I got it on sale at Murray's $3.25, can't beat that, and it works really well but I would do it by hand next time because of my inexperience I think I just cost myself some money and have to have the pro's fix my learning error

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

What you have is probably holograms from the agressive wool pad. I take it was a rotary buffer. Rotary buffers are tricky to manage, it takes a lot of practice to get it spot on
    You would need to go back and use either a polishing wool pad, or a polishing foam pad to remove the holograms

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

What you have is probably holograms from the agressive wool pad. I take it was a rotary buffer. Rotary buffers are tricky to manage, it takes a lot of practice to get it spot on
    You would need to go back and use either a polishing wool pad, or a polishing foam pad to remove the holograms
    I agree with goose, and would do the same thing.

Navy Blue Metallic

Well last night I went back over the whole car by hand which I thought would remove it but I was unsucessfull. I'm not going to use the rotary buffer anymore, I don't believe my baby should be used as a learning tool on how to buff, so I might just have a pro do it.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

98 ws6 girl- did the car wash you took it through have brushes or was it a true touch free that just uses high pressure water? If it had brushes right there is the problem. Either way here is what I suggest to you and the other guy with the buffer marks.
    Buy a porter cable 7424 buffer and then buy some pinnacle advanced swirl remover and pinnacle polish and a good wax with carnuba oil in it to finish up- Pinnacle liquid wax is good but so are paste waxes but make sure it has carnuba base in it. Also get some lake country pads yellow pad for the medium swirl remover then go to a black or grey pad for the Pinnacle polish. All this stuff will cost less then paying someone and its a very easy tool to learn how to use with no danger of harming your paint. Here is a link for a place you can buy the stuff at and also here is a link that will show you how to use the porter cable 7424 buffer.
    http://www.autogeek.net/
    this video shows how to remove swirls:

http://www.auto-geek.net/video/Inter...l_removal.html

This video is a complete series that goes into alot of detail on how to car for your car and use the porter cable buffer.
    http://www.auto-geek.net/video/pinnacle/Pinnacle.html
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 08-15-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Thread Information