Thread: Small Step

White
    2001 Z28

Small Step

I am about to make a small hp increase in my 2001 Z28. I have all the bolt ons, and free mods. Now I intend to put in a GM Hot Cam (.525 lift),LS6 valve springs, and Edelbrock shorty headers. Please note the I am running Crane Gold (1.8) Roller Rocker Arms. Right now my best dyno pull is 337 hp.
    I am using the shorty headers as this is a DD and I must pass CA emissions. Any thoughts on this combination?

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37
    I have all the bolt ons, and free mods. Now I intend to put in a GM Hot Cam (.525 lift), LS6 valve springs, and Edelbrock shorty headers. Please note the I am running Crane Gold (1.8) Roller Rocker Arms....

...and I must pass CA emissions. Any thoughts on this combination?
    I'm not that big a fan of the GM Hot Cam. I would look into some of the other grinds before I committed myself. For example, the OMC from Thunder Racing; 214/220*.600/.523 115-LSA. The 1.8 rockers, although not recommended, can still be applied....

White
    2001 Z28

I am hesitant to put that much cam in with stock heads and short headers. I am trying to keep it a relatively mild motor.

I am hesitant to put that much cam in with stock heads and short headers. I am trying to keep it a relatively mild motor.
    Believe me when I tell you, the GM Hotcam will be more of a bear to tune, in comparison with the Old Man Cam from Thunder Racing. Although the OMC has more lift, it's duration is very mild, stock idle, will easily pass emissions, and it's designed for headers (as opposed to their CheaTR cam, which I would have recommended had you still had the stock exhaust manifolds)....

Don't go Hotcam, trust me...

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    Now I intend to put in a GM Hot Cam (.525 lift)...
    GM's Hotcam specs are as follows;

219/228 .525"/.525"

Don't be intimidated by a cam with relatively more lift, like the OMC. More lift is always a good thing. Duration is what effects drive-ability, as well as emissions, and the OMC is tamer in comparison...

White
    2001 Z28

Thanks for the advice, if I go with that cam what springs and retainers should I use?

White
    2001 Z28

The old man cam seems like a good choice for an old man like me. Thamks for the advice.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Just some input on headers....

for the price of shorties compared to the performance gain you would be better off getting Long Tubes, they have a much better performance gain and sounds great.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    The old man cam seems like a good choice for an old man like me. Thamks for the advice.
    That's not what I was implying, I'm honestly not sure why Thunder Racing gave it that name, especially considering that it's a much better all around cam than the HotCam, as well as the ZO6 cam....

Again though, had you not of had headers, it would have been the Thunder Racing's CheaTR cam all the way. Ultimately though, I'd honestly consider a custom grind tailored to your specific needs....

Some other very good choices are MTI's Stealth grinds (I or II). Either of these cams above will easily pass emissions, and sound entirely stock, til you nail the throttle of course. It's all personal preference, and where you want that power to be prevalent in your RPM....

That's why a custom grind is best. Rather than purchase a specific cam, then spend the rest of your time trying to adapt parts to the camshaft, why not consider having Thunder Racing grind a specific camshaft for your application. That is the very best way to select a cam, and in the end, you'll be more pleased with the resuts....

Good luck.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    Just some input on headers....

for the price of shorties compared to the performance gain you would be better off getting Long Tubes, they have a much better performance gain and sounds great.

JMO
    he can't cause he lives in CA. emissions, Emissions, EMISSIONS!!!

BTW, ditch the Hot cam and got a little bigger. for the money spent on a cam get one you would enjoy. a Comp224 or a TR224 A114lsa, is a good all around mild cam that makes good power, good on gas usage, excellent daily driver performer all around...

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

oops i didnt even look at that....

are mid tubes emissions legal? or just not worth getting?

White
    2001 Z28

I am resolved to a higher lift camshaft, but what about springs and retainers?
    Yes, I must pass CA emissions.

I am resolved to a higher lift camshaft, but what about springs and retainers?
    Yes, I must pass CA emissions.
    Stock one's will buy you some time until you ever decide on cylinder heads (especially if your on a budget). If not, I would simply go with a good CompCam set, rated up to .600" lift (Part# CCA-26918-16, will do just fine)...

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    oops i didnt even look at that....

are mid tubes emissions legal? or just not worth getting?
    in CA you have to keep the cats in the original factory location. the only headers that you can get to meet those smog/emissions law is to get shorty headers. both mid-tubes and long tube headers either relocate or remove the cats from the factory location all together voiding the CA smog/emissions laws...

now in other states, emission laws are different. here in TX for example you can have LT headers on your car, as long as you have cats. another example is KS, they have no emission testing so once you pass inspection when you to title your car, you can remove the cats (though still federally illegal) and run header/ory setup and just pray you dont get pulled over and your car looked at...

White
    2001 Z28

Any ideas about how much of a gain I can expect with this setup?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thank God I live in Florida and have no emissions testing. The only thing I'm going to have to worry about is the noise ordinance.

Thread Information