red
    1999 Camaro SS

VE Tuning -- unplugging the MAF?

OK, I am going to go against my beliefs here, I want to do a VE tune (followed by a MAF tune).

I have read several threads on this matter, but still got a few easy questions:

1) Do I simply unplug the MAF before I turn the key.

2) If yes to #1, then I assume that I go directly into speed density, right?

3) Does the PCM use the Primary VE table or the secondary VE table?

I asking these questions because I read that if a MAF failure is detected, the PCM goes into SD, and uses the secondary VE table ????? So I'm a bit confused. If I simply unplug the MAF sensor before start-up, which VE table is used?
    '99 Camaro SS; 6-spd, LS2 402 stroker short block, PP stage 3 heads, GMS MAF, 244/248 cam, FLP headers, Borla catback, 4.10 gears, LS6 intake, 39#/hr injectors, Pro 5.0 shifter, subframe connectors, Comp Cams 1.85 rr,
    Best ET: 12.23sec (2.000sec 60'), trap spd:117.5mph, with the LS1 engine.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

1) yes. some of us will go in and change the MAF fail frequency to 1000 hz to make sure it enters into SD mode

2) again, yes.

3) uses the secondary VE table.

at startup, the PCM will use the primary VE table, until it goes through the diagnostics routine and detects the MAF not working. when it doesn, it will go into the secondary VE table and stay there until the code P0101 is erased and the MAF is working again.

the PCM has to see the P0101 code to enter SD mode. some people will go and uncheck the SES enable column just so the light doesn't come on.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Thank you the your reply.

I am using LS1Edit. When I view the secondary VE table, I see MAP rows 20, 40, 60, etc,,, not the full table as the main VE table. Is the secondary table actually limited like this, or is it a function of how LS1Edit works?

Another issue, since I only "see" a partial secondary VE table, it seems difficult to conduct the VE tuning via the secondary VE table, then change the main VE table to match the secondary.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yes, the secondary table is in half resolution of the main ve. What are you using to log with? You have to log it, make those changes to your main ve and then copy paste every other row over to the secondary. Make sense?

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Makes sense, that appears to be my only option.

Since I started tuning my OBDII LS1 car in 2001, I tune with LS1Edit and log with AutoTap.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Doc99SS View Post
    Thank you the your reply.

I am using LS1Edit. When I view the secondary VE table, I see MAP rows 20, 40, 60, etc,,, not the full table as the main VE table. Is the secondary table actually limited like this, or is it a function of how LS1Edit works?

Another issue, since I only "see" a partial secondary VE table, it seems difficult to conduct the VE tuning via the secondary VE table, then change the main VE table to match the secondary.
    here's what i do. the scanner will log just like the primary VE table. what i do is do the copy/paste thing to the main VE table, then copy and paste the appropriate rows into the secondary VE table. this way, you are doing both at the same time. and don't have to manually fill in the primary VE table.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Whats the advantages to doing this?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Whats the advantages to doing this?
    the MAF is there to make minor corrections while operating. the VE table is the base fueling table. the closer it is to being correct, the less the MAF has to do to make corrections to fueling.

Thread Information