Thread: mods for a 3.8L

Maroon
    1998 Camaro

Smile mods for a 3.8L

I got an auto '98 camaro with a 3.8L V6, what should i get?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Haha true, a lot of things thats why im selling my v6 and get a ls1. There is too much shit i have to go through to keep up with them. Althogh I put a good race to a stock one its a lot easier to just get one and mod it up

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

engine swap!!!!!
    Click for full size

2000pontiac6
    not everyone can just go get an LS1 or else i'm sure a lot more would...

To the original poster... DO a searchhhh

sethta
    Do basic bolt-ons: lid, cai, filter, full exhaust, tune

Silver
    2002 Z28

A quick search will answer all of your questions, but just because I'm bored, I'll tackle it (again) for ya:

Free mods, Intake, Headers and full exhaust (be careful here, larger than 3" pipes on a 6 and you'll sound like a lawn mower at WOT), Gears (3.42s if A4, 3.73s if M5), Tune, if you're an auto, a stall will help (<--assumption here, I'm just guessing you can still stall a 3.8's T-56).
    Next get a bigger cam, some aftermarket heads, then stiffen up the lower end and think power adder - Lots of people have had good luck with forced induction on these cars, others prefer a baby shot of n2o.

Before you start, ask yourself this question: Will being faster than 99% of cars out there, especially imports and other V6s, along with most V8s be enough for you, or are you going to be irritated that a modded Stang or LS1 will still blow your doors off? If this is the case, consider the following: Mod a 3.8 with anything that isn't easily reversible (intake & exhaust o.k.) and you've just trashed the resale value, so the better idea may in fact, eek, be to save up and buy an LT1 or LS1 when the time is right. I'd bet that when the 5th gen Camaros come out first quarter of '09, all these 4th gens we're driving will plummit in value, good for you, bad for us! Just some food for thought, and hey, welcome to the site!
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Maroon
    1998 Camaro

will just tuning it and adding an intake help with power, then later on getting exhaust?

sethta
    if you only do intake there isn't much need for a tune. but yes intake will help some with power. Do you plan on keeping the car for a while or getting rid of it?

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    A quick search will answer all of your questions, but just because I'm bored, I'll tackle it (again) for ya:

Free mods, Intake, Headers and full exhaust (be careful here, larger than 3" pipes on a 6 and you'll sound like a lawn mower at WOT), Gears (3.42s if A4, 3.73s if M5), Tune, if you're an auto, a stall will help (<--assumption here, I'm just guessing you can still stall a 3.8's T-56).
    Next get a bigger cam, some aftermarket heads, then stiffen up the lower end and think power adder - Lots of people have had good luck with forced induction on these cars, others prefer a baby shot of n2o.

Before you start, ask yourself this question: Will being faster than 99% of cars out there, especially imports and other V6s, along with most V8s be enough for you, or are you going to be irritated that a modded Stang or LS1 will still blow your doors off? If this is the case, consider the following: Mod a 3.8 with anything that isn't easily reversible (intake & exhaust o.k.) and you've just trashed the resale value, so the better idea may in fact, eek, be to save up and buy an LT1 or LS1 when the time is right. I'd bet that when the 5th gen Camaros come out first quarter of '09, all these 4th gens we're driving will plummit in value, good for you, bad for us! Just some food for thought, and hey, welcome to the site!
    lol well since the camaro is coming out im not sure the WS6 prices will drop, these will probably be collectors since they arent bringing them back
    Last edited by Ws6 Love; 10-25-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Start with the obvious, Intake, Exhuast, PCM tune. these are the big three to begin with and will give you the most noticeable gains without going deep into your pockets for bolt ons. -Tim

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

just get the almighty LS1~! trust me! i had an 01 V6 camaro had pacesetter headers, k&n cai and magnaflow cat back!,,,one word! WEAK!!!!!! so i did the smart thing and traded it in for an 02 SS,,,best desicion i could have made!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    Tune, if you're an auto, a stall will help (<--assumption here, I'm just guessing you can still stall a 3.8's T-56).
    The T-56 is a Manual transmission, he has an auto and you cant stall manuals

Maroon
    1998 Camaro

I'm keepin it for 2 more years, so im going to get it tuned and an intake then exhuast

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR View Post
    just get the almighty LS1~! trust me! i had an 01 V6 camaro had pacesetter headers, k&n cai and magnaflow cat back!,,,one word! WEAK!!!!!! so i did the smart thing and traded it in for an 02 SS,,,best desicion i could have made!
    To spend several thousand dollars and ountless man hours to get 1-2 seconds faster doesn't seem finacially feasable to a lot of us. Myself, I am just going to wait and spend the money on a LS1 raping LS7/9 Camaro in 2009.

If you want it tuned, I would recommend PCMforLess.com. Let him know of anything else you plan on doing to it in the future. Like remove emmisions and such when you do your exhuast. He can omit all Emmisions coding, delete the speed gov., advance the timing....depending on what kind of fuel you want to use. I am running 93, but I am having him reprogram it for race fuel as it is cheap and readily available here. I also had him tune the A/F by looking at a dyno sheet I sent him that I ran along with the PCM.
    I also asked him to run a "little" rich so I can run a small pill of N2O. Definately worth sending it to him. -Tim
    Last edited by PaganEgyptian; 10-28-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Thread Information