cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

anti freeze question

when i first bought my 2000 bonneville ssei i noticed someone had mixed green with the red (dex cool) which in turn made shit brown. the radiator had some corrosion so i had a shop flush it. well they didn't put dex cool back in they put in the green crap. about a year later my heater core went up, which i'm thinking probably had to do with whenever the stuff got mixed up. now i'm selling the car and the person that wants to buy it is wandering has it been hurting anything running the green stuff through it when gm calls for the red? i kind of figured the only reason gm called for dex cool is because it's their line of anti-freeze and that it is 5 year where the green is 2 year.

Black
    99 Z-28

Dex-cool is bout the best out there for GM.
    Only prob, GM had with it was in S10/15 trucks it was pluging up the heater core.
    I had my LS1 flush back a year & half by GM i ask them bout that they told me if i went green the car will run hotter.
    So its still useing dexcool never had any prob, with it in it.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker9118 View Post
    Only prob, GM had with it was in S10/15 trucks it was pluging up the heater core.
    I had my LS1 flush back a year & half by GM i ask them bout that they told me if i went green the car will run hotter.
    well see they put green back in it after i had it flushed, is that going to hurt anything? i havent noticed anything about the car running hotter.

Black
    99 Z-28

I have flushed dexcool out & put green back in & my frend runs a shop he have never had any cars come back the only prob, he has run in to is when they mix it with green then it turn to shit.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

I have flushed dexcool out & put green back in & my frend runs a shop he have never had any cars come back the only prob, he has run in to is when they mix it with green then it turn to shit.
    yup that what happened to mine, thanks for the info

Red
    2000 Trans Am

i flushed my system and run the green shit. Hate dexcool. Anyways my car doesnt run hot at all. I mean the 160 thermo and tune helps but seriously, the green shit is cheaper and easier to find. Which is good for someone like me who has had to pull hoses and shit multiple times working on the car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Dexcool = Evil

About every mechanic I know (which is about everybody I know) gets rid of Dexcool as soon as they buy a car that has dexcool in it. It likes to eat gaskets, clog up the cooling system, and eats aluminum.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

Of course the dealer is going to tell you it will run hotter. How much more is dexcool compared to the "regular stuff"? Classic example of the dealer taking your money.

Running anti-freeze other than dexcool will NOT make your engine run hotter.

Black
    99 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by LukesSpeedShop View Post
    Dexcool = Evil

About every mechanic I know (which is about everybody I know) gets rid of Dexcool as soon as they buy a car that has dexcool in it. It likes to eat gaskets, clog up the cooling system, and eats aluminum.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

Of course the dealer is going to tell you it will run hotter. How much more is dexcool compared to the "regular stuff"? Classic example of the dealer taking your money.

Running anti-freeze other than dexcool will NOT make your engine run hotter.
    I DONT PAY DEALER COST I GET A GOOD DISCOUNT + I AM TAX EXEMPT SO I GET A 55 GAL,DRUM FOR $105.00

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

I DONT PAY DEALER COST I GET A GOOD DISCOUNT + I AM TAX EXEMPT SO I GET A 55 GAL,DRUM FOR $105.00
    My appologies for assuming. But getting 55 gallons of dexcool doesnt turn it into something great. Facts are facts, dexcool has destroyed engines. I cant even start to tell you how many lower intake gaskets I personally have replaced on 3400 and 3800 series gm engines, because of dexcool.

Heres a nice read: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=1

Black
    99 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by LukesSpeedShop View Post
    My appologies for assuming. But getting 55 gallons of dexcool doesnt turn it into something great. Facts are facts, dexcool has destroyed engines. I cant even start to tell you how many lower intake gaskets I personally have replaced on 3400 and 3800 series gm engines, because of dexcool.

Heres a nice read: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=1
    When your in a shop & customer cars under warranty & it has a leak or leaking you have to use to top off or refill.

Blog Entries
    When your in a shop & customer cars under warranty & it has a leak or leaking you have to use to top off or refill.
    Do our Ls1 engines have an aluminum LIM lower intake manifold? Problems with DexCool eating up the gasket and corroding aluminum?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

No our intakes are a thermoplastic polymer. If dexcool ate up aluminum it would eat up your block too since its aluminum.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

There's alot of bad rumors running around about dexcool. Alot of the problems came from mixing dexcool with regular anti freeze. It can gum up a system and cause all sorts of problems.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    There's alot of bad rumors running around about dexcool. Alot of the problems came from mixing dexcool with regular anti freeze. It can gum up a system and cause all sorts of problems.
    I also remember dexcool crystalizing when it leaked and became exposed to air.

When I did B2B sales, a lot of the independent shops bought up Toyotas red antifreeze, and thoroughly flushed out GM dexcool car and used the Toyota red.

I used Toyota Red on my 89 TA and it was fine. When do the more serious stuff with my engine, I plan on going with the Toyota Red and a big sticker saying to only use Toyota red.

Blog Entries
    seems like DexCool is problematic when it is exposed to air and the coolant runs really low (two go hand in hand I guess). Anyway, I'll give the DexCool one more cycle as i'm going to dealer anyway and unlikely i'd ever run low on reservoir. Just a weekend car for me. Saw some major lawsuits on this. Pretty amusing that the anti-corrosion elements are organic OTA's and expire around 5 years! Like stale yogurt ! :-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks "98 TA ws6" ! Seems like pretty important to flush and put in fresh DexCool at the 5yr. marks. Maybe at 4 yrs. per some of the lawsuit complaints. Wow. Never even thought of antifreeze going bad.... but this is first aluminum engine I've had ! Anyway... she'll be awash in new ORANGE juice next week. :-)
    Last edited by BobbyGFirebird; 04-10-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Thread Information