Red
    2000 WS6

Rear Axle Bearing Surface Issues

I have a noise coming from my right rear axle that makes a light thud when I'm driving straight down the road and when I'm turning left. I have replaced the wheel bearings a couple of times and it definitly goes away. But it eventually comes back. I had the same problem on the left axle and replaced the entire axle thinking that the bearing surface was worn. It corrected that side of the car but now the right side is doing it. Has anyone else had a problem with their axle shaft bearing surfaces wearing out? Mine had pits where the bearing rides. I don't see any posts discussing axle failures. Oh yeah, it's a 00 WS6 w/6 speed.

its common,i've seen it many times.Be sure the rear is always full and try amsoil.I think two things cause it,low oil level and poorly heat treated axles.Another thing i've noticed is the rears in the newer fbodies run hotter than the older ones because of the engine heat and dual cats heat washing back to the rear.I've seen carrier bearing troubles too with these newer fbodies i never seen in the older ones.

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

most of the time you can get a bearing specially made for this situation.it actually rides on a different part of the axle where its not worn yet,eliminating the problem,& not having to replace the axle shaft.some people call it a repair bearing for the axle.

It's common knowledge to replace the race when a bearing fails. In this case, the race is integral to the axle. So anytime you replace the axle bearings the axles should be replaced too.

If you found an inoperative bulb and upon further inspection you found the bulb and connector melted together. Would you replace just the bulb?

Red
    2000 WS6

Thanks for the response. I just pulled the axles out and inspected them. The one I suspected was definitly worn. It had pitting and I can mic at least .001 difference around the surface. The axle I had replaced previously still looks good. I'm replacing the axle and bearings. As far as the bearing repair kit that places the bearing on a new section of the axle, I had bought one previously but could not use it. The bearing would not seat in deep enough in to the axle to use it.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    It's common knowledge to replace the race when a bearing fails. In this case, the race is integral to the axle. So anytime you replace the axle bearings the axles should be replaced too.

If you found an inoperative bulb and upon further inspection you found the bulb and connector melted together. Would you replace just the bulb?
    If I could make it work I would.

Thread Information