Thread: Oil presure

jay98ta

Oil presure

I have a 98 TA My oil presure is about 40 cold 20 hot It has 90,000 miles on it I bought at 52,000 oil presure has never changed until now It stell has 40 cold revs to 80 but whan I drive it my presure will drop to 20 and will go up and down . Can be driving normal and the neddle will stay on 20 let off the gas and it will jump up to 40 get back on the gas it will go to 50 then drop back down I beleave it is the sending unit what do you guys thank.

00' Camaro SS, 03' z71

Quote Originally Posted by jay98ta
    I have a 98 TA My oil presure is about 40 cold 20 hot It has 90,000 miles on it I bought at 52,000 oil presure has never changed until now It stell has 40 cold revs to 80 but whan I drive it my presure will drop to 20 and will go up and down . Can be driving normal and the neddle will stay on 20 let off the gas and it will jump up to 40 get back on the gas it will go to 50 then drop back down I beleave it is the sending unit what do you guys thank.

Very likely your oil pump is going out, considering its a 98. Grab you a ported ls6 oil pump and ride.. because 20 is DEFINIETELy not enough to sustain that engine for many miles. Believe me on that. throw a cam in there while you have here torn apart.

jay98ta
    I changed the oil in it and now it has about 30 at idle and about 50 2000 rpm I wased lukas oil treatment and Valvolane VR1 racing oil I think it might have been the oil filter. How hard is it to put a oil pump in it I am going to change it just to be safe can not afford a new motor.

00' Camaro SS, 03' z71

Quote Originally Posted by jay98ta
    I changed the oil in it and now it has about 30 at idle and about 50 2000 rpm I wased lukas oil treatment and Valvolane VR1 racing oil I think it might have been the oil filter. How hard is it to put a oil pump in it I am going to change it just to be safe can not afford a new motor.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Go there.. an article on a cam and valvespring swap. Follow it down to where you get to the oil pump... you will need to drop the pan and a few other things. Moderately difficult install.

Thread Information