Black
    1999 Camaro SS

I think my rear end is about to blow up

1999 Camaro SS 78,000 miles on the clock

The past few months i've noticed traction has gotten a lot worse and everyday the rear end is getting worse and worse. Basically whats happening is when i am going around a turn and give it gas the car feels like only one tire is moving or something because it will shoot out to the side and feel like i am about to lose control. it's like i have to really countersteer hard and i'm not braking the tires loose. i've had this car for 5 years and it never acted like this before. Extended warranty ran out so how much you think this is going to cost me?

Also, i just moved about 3 hours away from home and am attending college so i NEED this car and cannot afford to not have it for more than 2 or 3 days. i know it will probably take a week to get repaired.Do you think i can hold off christmas time when i go back home to get it repaired. If i don't step on it do you think it will last until then or is the rear end going to blow up on me and i'm gonna be super fucked?this is so frustrating...

Thanks.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

the 10 bolt rears are shit on a stick bro...is the rear making any kind of a howl or growling sound? I don't think it's possable for the C-clip to fall out....does anyone that rebuilds rears know?

Black
    99 SS

to replace a rearend with a new ons/used it should only take a day man, just get one off a wrecked car if need be and slap it on only a 100-200 i think depends if you can get one.

Sunset orange
    01ss,85 pu,04ramdsl

With that many miles on it, it shouldn't be bad.I'd open it up clean ot out and look at the shape its in..Usually when they are getting ready to go out they will growl and you will feel slack in them on acceleration and deceleration.Change the old fluid and don't forgetthe antislip additive or you'll smoke the clutches.your fluid maybe just old and worn out so the clutches are not letting go.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

there is no howling or growling sound which i thought was weird. the bearings went out at about 60k miles and the dealer said the rear end doesn't need to be serviced since of course they replaced all the rear end fluid and what not.

Sunset orange
    01ss,85 pu,04ramdsl

Like I said open it up and look at it.Clean it and put new synthetic fluid and additive in it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You just described the all comon GM rear end "slip".....
    Good news is you do not have to listen to Zboner's bullshit advice....
    Go to NAPA...get yourself Royal Purple 85-140....drain the old bullshit in there and pour in the RP....Friction modifier is in there...run it for 25 miles...check back in.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Hold up fellas-if I'm reading this right-when you go around the corner and the back end wants to kick out on you-that's when both tires are spinning.If just one wheel was spinning the back end wouldn't want to come around on you as much.Also I believe that in 99 GM went to the clutchless Torsen -Thexal type limited slip for all "posi" equipped Camaros which do not require an additive for the clutch discs in the previous units.I've owned and driven both types-the Torsen-Thexal(might have that misspelled)and the clutch type in a 98 and they feel different when cornering.With the clutchless torque sensing type there is a definite lock-up and rear-end spinning out feel to the rear axle when accelerating out of a corner.It's very controllable by throttle application -the clutch type has a softer "lock-up"-you don't feel it lock up cause it's always locked up and will slip some when it starts wearing out.From the sounds of it I think you could drive a long time without a problem-I'm not convinced you have a problem.It wouldn't hurt to pull the cover and look and change the lube-look in the owner's manual for whether it needs the "posi" additive or not.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

i live in an apartment and i have no tools or ways to change the rear end diff fluid my self. how much would the dealer charge to do this?

xspwr
    When I first read the title I thought you had to FART!!! j/k
    I don't think you need lots of tools to change your diff fluid I believe you just need one. I know my local AutoZone place has a tool lending service so you might want to call them if they offer the same thing.

M6TA
    If I remember correctly all you need is a 1/4 inch socket wrench and set of sockets... Figure out which socket you need to take the cover off and then use just the square part to take out the filler hole bolt.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    You just described the all comon GM rear end "slip".....
    Good news is you do not have to listen to Zboner's bullshit advice....
    Go to NAPA...get yourself Royal Purple 85-140....drain the old bullshit in there and pour in the RP....Friction modifier is in there...run it for 25 miles...check back in.
    Is there a step by step to perform this service anywhere? I've never gone anywhere near the back of the car, other then to check the muffler for blow-thrus.

Thread Information