Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Inevitable race against STI, need help on this

I have a friend with a 06 STI, it has catless DP, Invidia exhaust, intake, and he has a boost controller but wont be turning the boost up because his engine got owned last time he used it. Anyways I just got my LS1 6 days ago and people are already hyping this race up. He wont go from a 20 roll like I said he wants to go from a dig so we are going to take it to the track in 3 weeks. My mods are Lid, QTP longtubes, ORY, SLP LM2, 4.11 gears, Ford Tru Trac 9" rear end and a tune by Mike Norris. I know I should be able to get him but Im afraid of spinning too much, any guess as to what RPM I should launch at? I would take it out and find out myself but its been raining everyday here.

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    I have a friend with a 06 STI, it has catless DP, Invidia exhaust, intake, and he has a boost controller but wont be turning the boost up because his engine got owned last time he used it. Anyways I just got my LS1 6 days ago and people are already hyping this race up. He wont go from a 20 roll like I said he wants to go from a dig so we are going to take it to the track in 3 weeks. My mods are Lid, QTP longtubes, ORY, SLP LM2, 4.11 gears, Ford Tru Trac 9" rear end and a tune by Mike Norris. I know I should be able to get him but Im afraid of spinning too much, any guess as to what RPM I should launch at? I would take it out and find out myself but its been raining everyday here.
    What kind if tires do you have? If you can get some DRs or slicks the 9in will hold up to a pretty high launch

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

meh.... that STi should be a 13flat car... at best... they aren't all that great stock...and with the mods he has.. he shouldn't really be in the 12's unless he used the boost controler

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

If you ahve 4.10s and that rear end get some drag radials for this race if you dont already have them, warm up the tires with a good ole brake stand and then launch at 4500rpms he might pull 1/2 a car for a moment but by the time you are goin into second you should be passing him, now if you have street tires, you just really need to get to know what they can handle. Practice, I launch at 3200rpms, but im good at controling my car and i have suspension work.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

The tires are brand new, I'll look at them when I get a chance. He ran a 12.8 in the STI with his mods. Previous owner said he ran 12.5's with this car but Im sure he could drive it alot better than I can. Im looking forward to this race.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Good luck man, try to get a camera

NBM
    99 TA

just hope the sti driver pussy's out on the launch. Those things are hard to launch. I bet you take him either way though.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

How are they hard to launch, you rev it up to red line then drop the slip the clutch no where near as hard as a high horsepower rear wheel drive car. Those AWD cars dont get hard to lunch until they are making some serious hp.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    How are they hard to launch, you rev it up to red line then drop the slip the clutch no where near as hard as a high horsepower rear wheel drive car. Those AWD cars dont get hard to lunch until they are making some serious hp.
    My guess is they will bog down pretty hard when you do this, but your going to kill him, 12.8 pshhh dosent mean shit who knows if its even true and with your mods you should kill him ! and if your going to run street tires I wouldnt launch over 3k you will spin your ass off, but you know your car better then anyone on here so you decide....

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Stone Srt-4 View Post
    What kind if tires do you have? If you can get some DRs or slicks the 9in will hold up to a pretty high launch
    I second this get some slicks or DRs then launch it. You should have no problem with the STI even if he does get out of the hole hard. If you stay on street tires and are not careful with your right foot you could easily loose. STI's are quick but only if launched properly which isn't that hard. It will be much harder to get your car to hook up on street tires.

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

With his and your mods i dont think that youll have much problem even if he does get you outta the hole....you def. have the top end

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Don't the STI's have weak clutches? Or is that only the evos?

lookin for a ws6

+ infinity on the dr's.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Def, practice your launch before you get to the track

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I saw him run at the track, he's a good friend of mine lol other people are talking up the race. He knows how to launch his car hard though I must admit. He knows how to drive that car. Im almost sure I can pull it out.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnman View Post
    + infinity on the dr's.
    I second Infinity on the DR's...

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

You should be able too, but all we are saying is, if you really wanna shut this kid out, get some drag radials, then you take away his only advantage, the launch, you got him beat in power, you only weight 200lbs more at the most, you got him beat hard in style. You def got him beat top end, racing a STI top end is like racing a lightning top end, its a EGO booster.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I third infinity the drs... with a 9" under there, anything less than et street radials are a waste, and I'd probably go ahead and just go slicks.

Not to say that a 9" isn't a wonderful thing, but it's a bit premature with those mods, so on street tires, the weight of it is going to hurt you more than it can help. Get some really sticky tires, heat em up, and dump the clutch at 4k.... and have someone videotape this race!
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Don't the STI's have weak clutches? Or is that only the evos?
    Evos do STIs are what I hear really strong made out of cavalar or whatever idk ??? But the Evos are known for there weak clutches...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS

yep get the DRs

Thread Information