Thread: EGR elimination

Silver
    98 WS6

EGR elimination

I need to get my car smogged, but I can not do it with the SES light on. I went to get the light checked and they said I have a valve link in my EGR assembly thats causing me to run lean. The great thing about the part to fix this problem is that its never really made and takes a real long time to find. I'm looking for it now, but I was wondering about my options to eliminate the EGR entirely. I've heard this works, but the SES light will stay on, in which case will not work for smogging, so I'm looking for a little clarification on this.

White
    98 Trans AM

Get an LS6 intake manifold without the EGR tube and then have the EGR removed from scans on your PCM. Granted this will cost you some cash but then the SES code will not be generated after the LS1 edit or whatever is used to remove that from your PCM.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Silver
    98 WS6

Couldn't I just plug up the holes and erase the EGR without changing the manifold for now? With the SES light off most importantly

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

You can have the car tuned to ignore EGR data, and remove the system entirely. I took the EGR system off my car, unplugged all ports associated with it, and closed off the SLP header ports with stainless block off plates from Thunder Racing. The LS6 intake did not have an EGR port anyway, so it was just useless hanging there.

As long as your light is not on, you should be able to get it inspected. I think they just plug into your com port and look for codes anyway. I don't think they do the sniffer test. If they visually check for emissions equipment, then you might have a problem.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Silver
    98 WS6

Yeah I know how to remove it and I know that the smog test is only a matter of them checking my computer, which is great since I have no cats... but I just want need a confirmation that if I remove the EGR system and get it deleted that the light won't stay on regardless. Someone told me it did, and that's the last thing that I would want to have happen to me.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Understandable. Staring at that SES light is like trying to live with a bad exhaust leak. Painful and excruciating. I unplugged mine before removing all that crap, and drove it around to see if the light came on. It didn't, so I took it off, and I have yet to see a code for it. However, I am not certain it was removed in the tune.

White
    98 Trans AM

Normally it DOES require a tune to remove the EGR removal from setting a code. ODBII cars normally do not require the sniffer test and are all done with the computer. If codes are shown or the SES light is on they will not pass you.

Silver
    98 WS6

well i just talked to the guys at arizona power and sound and they told me they could remove the system which would still allow me to pass smog, so I'm taking my car in next wednesday to do that. I'm hoping this all works out. sucks driving without license plates. I'm like a cop magnet
    Last edited by degenerate; 03-08-2006 at 01:21 PM.

White
    98 Trans AM

Yes. The computer is told not to monitor the EGR sensor anymore and then the code is removed. To make sure just tell the place doing the tune to make sure to clear the code before you head out. Give the car about 50 miles of driving so the computer will acquire enough data from the sensors or else the place doing the inspection will show data N/A for some systems being checked and will not pass you again.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

If you get EGR removed from the computer on the car, an inspection machine will never know it was ever there.

Every inspection requires an under-the-hood check for emission components, as well as a look under the car for cats, 02's, mufflers, no leaks in the exhaust, etc. Some places (usually Jiffy Lube) won't look for the emissions stuff, and will just plug the car into a computer.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

I'd take it to a garage that does inspections and pay the $60.00 or whatever after I removed the EGR. I had to start doing that once I tinted both side windows...

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo98z
    If you get EGR removed from the computer on the car, an inspection machine will never know it was ever there.

Every inspection requires an under-the-hood check for emission components, as well as a look under the car for cats, 02's, mufflers, no leaks in the exhaust, etc. Some places (usually Jiffy Lube) won't look for the emissions stuff, and will just plug the car into a computer.
    Each state is different. I know that here in Illinois, they do the IM240 test. When you take an OBD2 vehicle to their facility, they only check the gas cap and then plug into the diagnostic port.

So long as you don't have a check engine light and the ECM has all of is drive cycles and systems accounted for, you pass. I think if you keep failing the test, then the inspection gets tougher. If the whole EGR system is gone, ie -no visible block off plates, open/disconnected lines, etc, then I think you would still pass a visual inspection. When things appear to have been tampered with they start to raise red flags...

Thread Information