Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Exclamation Water Pump Leak=Opti-bomb?

So it turns out my water pump is leaking. It is leaking onto the distributer cap and all down my wires.
    Now I am assuming, after hearing all the horror stories about the opti, that my car is now a ticking timebomb.

Is the water pump something I NEED to get replaced ASAP pending a death of my opti? The local garage estimated a price of around $1000 to get the pump replaced ($400 part and somehow $600 for labor!?!)

Not sure if the price was that high because they were recommending I get the wires replaced anyway since they are in there for the pump or what?

PLEASE ADVISE
    94 m6 Formula - Sold
    2000 NHRA Formula - Always For Sale

4 cyl colorado

The waterpump sprang a leak on my '94 T/A less than a mile from home. The opti crapped out completely by the time I got home. I believe the water pump was around $200. I upgraded to a dynaspark vented distributor that was around $700. While I was at it I bought plug and wires but by the time I finished with the pump and distributor I decided to do the plugs and wires later. The Dynaspark worked great but had not been on the market long, was really the only aftermarket option at the time so it was too expensive. I believe there are other optispark replacement options available now. I upgrade to an '02 WS6 a couple months later but still see the '94 running around town, the new owner hasn't had any problems the last time I spoke with him. The '94 is a non-vented distributor, make sure you upgrade to a vented while your at it. There used to be instruction online on converting a non-vented to a vented but I don't have any experience with it.

Have fun.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Well I just ordered this pump:
    http://www.1motormart.com/unified/bu...1&make_code=PN

Gonna pick up some RTV and some red loctite for the screws.

If I am unable to get at the drain plug for the coolant from underneath the car, What is the best/cleanest/easiest way to drain the coolant so I can pull off my water pump?

You should be able to drain the juice out fine, or pull the radiator hose I guess.

I did a opti spark and a water pump before on a 94 Camaro. Yet again another task that just sucks major ass.

Thread Information