white
    1999 corvette hardtop

clattering while excellerating

i have a 99 hardtop vette, that most of the time clatters while i excellerate.
    is it my knock sensors?
    anybody have an answer or suggestion?
    and if it is my knock sensors, where are they located?

thanks
    corvettevalley

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

is the noise coming from teh engine or drivetrain? can you park the car and hear the noise if it's in neutral?

white
    1999 corvette hardtop

noise

thanks for answering

if i have it in nuetral there is no clattering. when i accellerate with the clutch in, there is no clattering.

it happens only when i accellerate.

it does not happen all the time. probably 3 out of 5 times.

it sounds as though it is coming from the engine compartment.

thanks for any help
    rick

Beast
    Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? When the engine is under load and torques to one side, perhaps something attached to the engine is tapping something else.

Example: My Y pipe was tapping against the body during acceleration right after my install, and I had to go in and "adjust things".

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Ping.

Use premium fuel.

If that doesn't cure it there are products that clean the combustion chambers out. Do some research or maybe someone can chime in.
    Last edited by rbob93; 06-19-2006 at 12:28 PM.

Red
    1998 Trans Am / Ram Air

[QUOTE=rick valley] i have a 99 hardtop vette, that most of the time clatters while i excellerate.
    is it my knock sensors?
    anybody have an answer or suggestion?
    and if it is my knock sensors, where are they located?

thanks
    corvettevalley[/QUOTE
    Do you feel a clatter vibration or do you hear it? I feel a clattering vibration comming from my rear almost like the sensation of gears stripping but I had my rear end differential checked and everything looks fine. Is this perhaps wheelhop? It does not happen all the time ... it stays for a while and then it's gone for a week or two.

Beast
    Do you feel a clatter vibration or do you hear it? I feel a clattering vibration comming from my rear almost like the sensation of gears stripping but I had my rear end differential checked and everything looks fine. Is this perhaps wheelhop? It does not happen all the time ... it stays for a while and then it's gone for a week or two.
    Wheel hop is pretty violent. You should be able to discern between wheel hop and a rear end going out. I'm not sure what your problem could be.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by beast master
    my borla cat-back used to chatter a lot @ idle b/c the pipe would buzz against the fender/under body

WS6BIRD
    sounds like octane ping to me.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Cool

If you are one of the many that are trying to get by on less than 91-93 octane fuel in a performance car, it's going to be the fuel. ours cars need the high octane fuel and there's no way around it.If not than there is build up on the pistons causing the noise you here. how many miles is there on the engine? and have you every had the top end cleaned?

Silver
    2002 Z28

does it sounds like coins rattling in a can? Thats what I would describe ping as... can also be caused from the car being too lean (detonation). I got it using 93 octane, was told to clean off my MAF because i use a K&N and the lubricant can get on the MAF sensor.

Maroon
    86 Trans Am

pre ing. or det. only at low rpm and under load right

Thread Information