Thread: Clutch

kllrvet

Clutch

It seems to me that the stock clutch on my 05 well...just plain sucks. What other alternatives are there? I really think more pressure is what it needs.

Tony

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Try changing the fluid. I bled out all the black fluid and replaced it with Motul 600 brake fluid. After two track days, no slipping and no discoloration. I used to slip on Nittos before the fluid change. That would be the cheapest fix to try.

If you need a clutch, I'd recommend the Textralia clutch. I "felt" one at the track and really liked it. Very little clutch effort, maybe a hair more than stock. They seem to be able to handle the power and have great customer service from reading the various boards.
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I agree with Rob...many seem to get much better response and performance by bleeding all the factory crap out and replacing with a high quality fluid.....and yes the Textralia http://www.textralia.com/ seems to be the choice of many owners....

GTwhOa
    You may also want to wait until the clutch breaks in after a few more thousand miles.

My stock '04 clutch has been good so far up to running low 12's.

It slipped quite a bit when it was newer and even when the car was fully stock when running at a sticky track. Now with lots more power and tq and DR's it has been handling it fine now that it is well broken in.

I'm working on some new mods though that may put it over the line - we'll see

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GTwhOa
    You may also want to wait until the clutch breaks in after a few more thousand miles.

My stock '04 clutch has been good so far up to running low 12's.

It slipped quite a bit when it was newer and even when the car was fully stock when running at a sticky track. Now with lots more power and tq and DR's it has been handling it fine now that it is well broken in.

I'm working on some new mods though that may put it over the line - we'll see
    My buddy with a 04 M6 (nitrous) down in Corpus said the same thing...I wonder if it is the pressure plate or what.....that's good though.....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Here is the GM Pontiac Technical Service Bulletin on this very issue....
    Informational - Discolored, Dirty, Dark, Sludge and/or Grease in the Clutch Fluid Reservoir #04-07-31-002 - (Feb 16, 2004)
    Discolored, Dirty, Dark, Sludge and/or Grease in the Clutch Fluid Reservoir
    2004 Pontiac GTO

with Transmission, Manual 6 Speed, Tremec, 85 mm, 2.97 First, 0.57 Sixth, Overdrive (RPO M12)

It may be observed on some vehicles that the clutch fluid in the reservoir appears to be discolored, dirty, have sludge or grease contaminates in it after being in service for a period of time.

The level of discoloration will vary with factors such as driving conditions, under hood temperatures etc.

This is a phenomenon that may occur with time due to the interaction between the clutch system rubber parts with hydraulic clutch fluid.

The small amount of sludge or grease that may be noticed is, in fact, grease that has migrated from the master cylinder assembly. The grease is used during assembly of the master cylinder.

Engineering investigations of returned fluid samples show that discoloration and grease in the fluid DO NOT negatively affect the performance of the clutch hydraulic fluid.

Field reports indicate that where clutch fluid and or clutch system components have been replaced to address this condition, the vehicles have returned with the same condition causing a repeat repair and a dissatisfied customer.

Discolored clutch fluid should not be replaced in a normal operating system.

For Clutch System Concerns and Diagnosis, refer to Diagnostic Starting Point - Clutch SI Document ID #1338362.

Thread Information