Black
    2000 Camaro SS

STS what is all required for this kind of setup

Everyone likes to argue about Turbo VS Supercharger.

Rear vs front mount.

But i am asking a question purely based on what others experience with these STS kits are.

I want a STS for my LS1 unless i can find a Front mount kit that isnt crazy expensive. Either way i understand that these kits indicate right out of the box they are made for 5psi

I was wondering what kind of mods does a stock 2000 SS require to handle this kit with 5 / 7 PSI

I know that the car will need atleast a inline fuel pump or else a complete replacement. as well as i have been looking into getting some 42LB injectors but what else is required.

I will have to find a person that is local to my area that can tune my car, if not i will have to get the tunnig software and then get some detailed information of what is the best practice for a starting tune for the regular street use. (not racing, just need some extra pickup )

Either way requirements:
    -STS LS1 Kit
    -42LB injectors
    -Inline Fuel Pump
    -some sort of PCM tune to ensure the car isnt running to lean.

is there anymore input on diffrent types of turbo kits? or what else i require to make my STS worth while?

i am also looking at getting involved with the resale of these kits with a friend who already runs a shop and sells performance parts.
    Click for full size
    2000 Camaro SS Black Loaded LS1 6-Speed T-Tops, STS Rear-Mount Turbo, 42Lb Injectors, Racetronixs Fuel pump upgrade system, Custom Tune by Rick Squires @ STS Turbo, Goodyear F1 DS-G3 275 40zr17's. 3.73Rear End.

Barbados Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

I have had 3 LS1 I currenly have a 2004 GTO with STS kit.
    To run 5 PSI. you will need nothing not even a tune if you run with a Intercooler. For 7 psi you have to get 38lbs injectors or bigger and tune it thats it the stock fuel pump can support 500 Horspower flywheel horse power.
    which is like 7 psi with a mild tune which would put you about 435 horepower to the wheels. And that it not much at all the big thing u need to do is buy a extra rear end and put it in the closet I keep break them damn 7.5 inch rear ends with mickeytompson drags.

2002 Trans Am

intercooler or no intercooler, 5 psi or 7 psi I wouldn't ever run a turbocharged car without a tune. Pretty much to run 5 psi though, you just need the turbo kit and a tune. But, for better performance, yes a fuel pump and injectors. I also have a BOV and electronic boost controller on mine. At 7.5 psi my car dynoed at 467 hp 508 tq. at 5 psi it was 413 hp. But yes, you need a good tune! Without one, even at 5 psi, you run the risk of ruining the motor.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

x2 on the tune. I tried to run 5 psi with no tune....not a good idea. If you haven't replaced it yet, you'll need a clutch. And possibly some new valve springs.

But, definitely get it tuned, if not get a laptop and learn how to tune it yourself. Just remember, boost is very addictive. If there is a chance of you turning up the boost in the future, buy the stuff from the start that will get you there. It sucks buying stuff over again because the original stuff won't support it.
    2002 Camaro SS-STS kit, LME built 370, h/c, and a bunch of other stuff

5psi-456 rwhp 498 rwtq ran out of fuel!!

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Boost is addictive! My girlfriends 97 Talon TSI AWD has tons of bolt ons and runs 18psi boost.

but i will be happy with 5 psi for now until i get an intercooler down the road.

I really like the idea of getting hp tuners software except i have no idea where to start with tuning the car.

is there anyone with a base tune for a ls1 m6 with a STS? or else anyone that has any helpful information to get me started on my way to a proper tune.

i already have 2 laptops.

1 which is for my cars obd2 monitoring which i would use for hp tuners software. but lots of information i have found indicates not to start tuning until you know what you are doing with a product such as that.

I am a computer tech so im not scared of technology and i am well aware of how to use the pc. just not sure of what values to look for when tuning the car.

Barbados Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

yea there right i forgot you have a 2000 ss ta the computer on thta car sucks for the diablo programmer. if it was a 04 gto ls1 you could have useed the tunner to change injectors and pull out up to 20 % real time wot timing and a/f and riching or lean the whole fuel curb with the injector slope and get the tune close so you would not have to do a dyno tune till your car was complete.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

The base tune wouldn't be too hard. You would have to reduce your timing, scale for any injector change, and work a little on your MAF table. But, you could make it a lot easier on yourself, and do a 2 bar speed density tune.

As long as you adjust your injector table, and reduce timing, the fuel tuning is self explanatory. Just use the help files in the program for tips. And LS1Tech has a ton of info about it. After paying someone for a mail oder tune, then paying someone for a dyno tune, I finally bought the software. I could've saved a lot of money. If you do it, you'll need a wideband to do it right. Innovate sells one, LC-1, and it's not that much. You can wire it into HP Tuners, and it tells you how much of an adjustment you need to make. If you want, e-mail me...I can ramble on and on about this stuff.

stscamaro@yahoo.com

Thread Information