Black
    2000 Forumla

left window motor

My left window motor is starting to act up. It stops working randomly and I have to wait a few minutes and it might start working again. I recall people had issues with these and they needed to be replaced. Where can I puchase a replacement part for a good price. Any sponsors here carry it? I know the dealership will have it, but they will probably charge an arm and a leg. If somebody could also provide a part number, that would be great! Thanks

black
    1999 Trans Am

I seen some on ebay. Mine are going out too.

redls1bird
    i bought mine on ebay over a year ago. got it for 20 bucks each, but they specifically said that these were just a cheap fix that would last. im already having some issues with them, and they are definitely noisier in operation. moral of the story, you get what you pay for....

White
    1995 Z28 Camaro

My drivers window gave out and I bought the whole thing, arm and motor from the dealer. When the other window went out I found out that I could buy the motor only and came out cheeper. drill out the rivetts and put bolts and locking washers on teh exsisting arm, works great and cheeper..

What a pain in the A** that was.. I just changed the Motor and regulator on the drivers side in Aug.. I did however discover that the motor could be changed with out having to buy the regulator (arm).. the motor is only about $40.00.. with regulator it cost $150.00.

I have step by step instruction if you want them.. e-mail me at herz28camaro@comcast.net
    Last edited by Herz28camaro; 10-12-2005 at 06:12 PM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Just wanted to add -there is a circuit breaker in the window motor circuit that will trip-when you give it a few seconds to cool off it will reset and the window works again.Make sure there isn't something that is making the window drag and overload the motor.You should be able to get this motor at a good auto parts store for alot less than the dealership charges -and it should work as good as new-more than $20 though-maybe $60.

Replace the window motor with one from AZ - lifetime warranty.

Black
    2000 Forumla

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    Just wanted to add -there is a circuit breaker in the window motor circuit that will trip-when you give it a few seconds to cool off it will reset and the window works again.Make sure there isn't something that is making the window drag and overload the motor.You should be able to get this motor at a good auto parts store for alot less than the dealership charges -and it should work as good as new-more than $20 though-maybe $60.
    That is possible. 99% of the time, the motor works perfectly fine. And when it dosent work, I notice that after I let it sit for like 5 seconds.. the window will keep going up and it might stop again and I have to wait another 5 seconds. I did change the speakers in my car door and the wiring might have gotten loose somewhere. I should check that out also. Thanks.

If thats not the problem, I'll just change out the motor...

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

window motor

iv had the same problem on my 97z and 01ss, dealer is more expensive and doesnt offer a lifetime warranty, but if you goto somewhere like az they will be cheaper and offer a lifetime on it. its not hard to change either just make sure you get some replacement bolts befor u start and u will need a drill

black
    1999 Camaro SS

Window motor is $46 bucks at advance comes with all the hardware you need to mount it. You will have to remove the door panel and find the rivets that hold the power window motor in place. You will have to drill a hole into the door frame to get to each rivet and then drill out the rivet. Once all the rivets are drilled out the motor will pop right out. You do not need to support the regulator for the window it will not go down once the motor is removed. Once the old motor is out plug the new one up and position it where the old one was and use the screws provided to fasten it down. Use some white lithium grease to lube the gear and regulator a little. Test before putting it all back together. I have done this 3 times and never had a problem. Good luck!!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Darn window motors!

Fbody owners ====><====Fbody power window design engineer

black
    1999 Camaro SS

dustinhickman
    i think that everybody that has an fbody will do this at some point in time. my passenger side window is starting to mess up and i plan on changing both driver and passenger side at the same time. i figure that if i am going to do one window might as well do the other one on the same day and get it over with, it will eventually fail with my luck.

dustin

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Just replaced my left side window motor today. Took about 2 hours total, including setup before and cleanup afterwards, just taking my time. It was easier than I thought; could've done it in 1 hour. Got the motor from Advance Auto for $54.94 plus tax--has a lifetime warranty.

The electric motor sure is tiny for such a large window. There's plenty of room in the door for a larger motor. Why hasn't someone made a replacement unit with a larger electric motor? It's certainly not at all difficult to engineer one.

silver
    2002 SS Camaro

Replacing my motor as we speak and the spring SPRUNG do I need to recock on install ??

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

When you say left do you mean Driver side?

If so then it is probably a bad motor... Installing our passenger window fix kit will seperate the windows into their own circuits and improve motor life. The big problem with our cars is the power distribution combined with HUGE windows

If you do a search on the board for AutoTrix you will FIND tons of info on the topic.

We also now carry a kit for $229 that comes with two window motors along with a driver side and passenger side window fix kit.

If you do just go buy a replacment motor for that side, you can find a link to instructions on replacement in my sig

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by aviationphotog View Post
    Replacing my motor as we speak and the spring SPRUNG do I need to recock on install ??
    yes

Thread Information