Black
    2001 WS6

Buying a new engine: Advice anyone?

Ok here is the deal, I am buying a 98 LS1 out of a T/A. In an effort to not completely waste my money I have to ask you wide Car gods a question. I shouldn't have a problem buying this engine (that does come with the tranny) for my current V6 right? Also it has 96K on it and some say that is a danger zone for repairs. Also the ECM is coming with it. Any advice?
    Last edited by Promise517; 04-24-2007 at 06:12 AM.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Promise517 View Post
    Ok here is the deal, I am buying a 98 LS1 out of a T/A. In an effort to not completely waste my money I have to ask you wide Car gods a question. I shouldn't have a problem buying this engine that does come with the tranny for my current V6 right? Also it has 96K on it and is setup for ram air so I can only guess that I am going to either have to do some hood mods or just buy another. Also the ECM is coming with it. Any advice?
    ok, im gonna try my best here but i dont know what all your asking. first of all, you need the engine and transmission for the ls1, plus the pcm and wiring harness. are you getting a 6 speed or an auto. at any rate, the ram air hood has nothing to do with your hood on your camaro. its not like the ls1 in the t/a has a taller short block in it or something, its just a ram air hood that lets more air into the intake. no hood modifications needed.

are you asking if your current tranny will work with the ls1? that answer is no. my advice is to get a cherrypicker, a lift, and get to work!!!!

Black
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    ok, im gonna try my best here but i dont know what all your asking. first of all, you need the engine and transmission for the ls1, plus the pcm and wiring harness. are you getting a 6 speed or an auto. at any rate, the ram air hood has nothing to do with your hood on your camaro. its not like the ls1 in the t/a has a taller short block in it or something, its just a ram air hood that lets more air into the intake. no hood modifications needed.

are you asking if your current tranny will work with the ls1? that answer is no. my advice is to get a cherrypicker, a lift, and get to work!!!!
    Thanks, I just wanted needed some peice of mind with the whole project. Also it is and auto though I would love a 6 speed.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Promise517 View Post
    Thanks, I just wanted needed some peice of mind with the whole project. Also it is and auto though I would love a 6 speed.
    My advice is sell the v6 and buy a camaro with a v8 already in it. By the time you do everything you would probably come out cheaper/easier. If your v6 has a bad motor replace it and sell the car.

Black
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    My advice is sell the v6 and buy a camaro with a v8 already in it. By the time you do everything you would probably come out cheaper/easier. If your v6 has a bad motor replace it and sell the car.
    I feel you on that, I was thinking to do that myself but I just had t all teh seals replaced on that thing. At the same your right cause if I get another engine I still will loose that money....even more so than if I just sold it and bought another one.

Thread Information