white
    2002 ws6

Unhappy flywheel chatter?

i just got a 02 ws6 and when i go to take off in first gear it is really rough and shakes the whole car. now i know this can happen cause if the driver but this is really bad....bad enough where i dont think it is me but you never know. could it be flywheel chatter? and how should i take care of this? or diagnose it as me or the car.

Red
    1998 M6 vert TA

Is it the stock clutch?

white
    2002 ws6

yea it is i just got it looked at and they said its definitly the the flywheel should i go ahead and get an after market one?

Red
    1998 M6 vert TA

Since how long you have this car? I mean, was it fine before and now you have this problem? Or have you just bought it?

white
    2002 ws6

I just got the car saturday and it was going it ever since i got it.

01 M6 SS Turbo

man that's crappy... My car did the same thing a week ago... I got a spec aluminum f/w and a centerforce clutch to boot... the thing revs REALL nice now! not to mention thats its smooth now!

Red
    1998 M6 vert TA

Is it from a garage? From a private? Hey! bring it back and tell them to repair it or to show you how they drive it. Or at least let it drive from another person that knows how to drive stick.

white
    2002 ws6

i was thinking about getting an after market one but i think i will just go with stock for now. so the guy i bought it from said that it didnt do it when he had it and since i didnt mention this the first day that he cant cover it. how crappy is that?!? i got one of the guys at my work to drive it and we put it up on the lift and determined its the flywheel. so i am gonna take it all apart this weekend and put new everything in it. thanks for all you guys help other than all that how do yall like having an ls1? any suggestions?

Red
    1998 M6 vert TA

How do you know it's the flywheel? Have you removed the tranny and looked at the clutch assembly?

I'd grab the previous owner's balls for what he said! Is there no way to put some pressure on him?

other than all that how do yall like having an ls1?
    Nice new engine in an antiquated car's concept.
    I'm glad I have a convertible so when I drive topless I don't hear all the noises from the cheap plastics, the missing noise deadning etc.
    Then it's a real fun!

white
    2002 ws6

well it was a little used car dealership and i live in plano and the place is in houston so its like a little over 200 miles away from me. so i guess i screwed myself by doing that. i got the master tech over at my work to look at it for me and he told me it was definitly the flywheel. im just gonna replace all of it though. gosh these cars are so cool though i have had the t tops off for the last three days..... awesome!

flat black
    you wont know for sure till you take the flywheel out and stick it on a lathe and see if it spins true or not....most time its not the flywheel...they are balanced really well....if they werent and you had that kind of harmonics attatched to the end of your crank...you would grenade the engine in no time at all...the crank couldnt take that kind of pressure...forged or not....most time its caused by the fingers on the pressure plate being bent or mis aligned...what this does is it causes uneven pressure on the clutch which is essential and would allow the clutch to walk around on the flywheel causing a massive vibration....so when you pull it out look at the fingers on the flywheel and measure them with a dial caliper...if you find that you get lots of difference between them youve found your problem...also if you have this problem you might see that your throw out bearing is marred pretty good. while you have the clutch out replace the clutch flywheel... and make sure you put i new pilot bearing in and throw out bearing....also replace the spring that is behind the throwout bearing, that spring helps to preload the throwout bearing onto the flywheel....youll probly have to go to the dealer for it...i do not know the part number....Hope this helps

white
    2002 ws6

it turns out it was the whole assembly it was just a cheap after market one and someone really gave it hard time we got it dont over the weekend though thank you for all of yalls help. and have fun with your cars i know i am now! and happy valentines day!

Red
    1998 M6 vert TA

Could you PLS post some pics or tell us the manufacturer of the clutch?

Thread Information