Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am Firehawk

Rear mount turbo + muffler??

Hey i was just wondering if there would be any negative side effects(and if so, what they are) to running a muffler on the downpipe side of my turbo? will i still get decent sound out of the exhaust or should i just say to hell with a cat back system all together? im setting up a custom twin rear mount turbo system.
    i was thinking of running the piping from the wastegate bypassing the muffler to relieve pressure and also maybe a different sound once i reach max boost out of the turbos. my only concern i think is the effect the muffler may have on the turbo spool/lag times or whatever.. kinda researching it out right now.. hoping someone else here knows more than i do about it...

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Not sure if I'm following you on this.....but....are you planning on having the CATS before the feeds to the turbos?????? If so, think about this....if one of those lets go and you start blowing pieces out then you've ruined two turbos.......I did away with mine....now...as far as the muffler goes.....if you're talking about putting a muffler on the exaust side of the turbo then no......no negative side effects........your neighbors will love you.....

just wondering how you're going to mount twin turbos in the rear of a f-body......not saying it isn't possible but just wondering is all....would like to see the finished product if you get it going....

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am Firehawk

no cats; i was planning on using pacesetter race style headers with the texas speed dual x-pipe system; with the mufflers on the downpipes of the turbos. not sure how im gonna fit everything in there together yet.. i was thinking about kinda modeling the piping layout similar to the sts systems, only with two turbos instead of one, with dual cone filters.. come to think of it.. that is gonna need alotta room. prolly make the piping really short on the downpipe side of the turbos to make room for it all including the sweet thunder muffler(s).. speaking of which.. is that a single muffler or two separate mufflers?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I would forget the headers and keep the manifolds on the car........I built my turbo system off the STS concept and I just dont know how you'd fit two back there and have all the pipes fit.......plus you have to find a good oil pump to scavenge the oil back to the pan or valve cover.......I was toying with the idea of putting a twin system right off the manifolds......there looks to be room there....would just have to figure it all out.....I saw a company in Australia I believe is working on a system now......

you could use a single muffler if you could figure out how to tie the two systems together......I know STS has a twin kit for the Corvettes so you may look at pics of that to get some ideas.....

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

ls1 manifolds flow really smooth and quite well.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

anyone know if they make a rear mount turbo system for my car?
    under my avatar

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

i think that www.ststurbo.com is in development call and ask theyre real nice people

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02Hawk View Post
    i think that www.ststurbo.com is in development call and ask theyre real nice people
    is that to me or someone else

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    is that to me or someone else
    you

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02Hawk View Post
    you
    called. i figured they were closed but i wanted to get their hours. thanks im gonna call again tomorrow

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    called. i figured they were closed but i wanted to get their hours. thanks im gonna call again tomorrow
    They have a universal kit that may work for you......

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    They have a universal kit that may work for you......
    yea i saw that, but wasnt exactly sure HOW universal it was ya know?

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am Firehawk

as far as fitting everything in there, im pretty much figuring im going to have to relocate my t-top rack and cut out the trunk shell, then build the turbo setup right inside where the trunk space used to be. i think i can just weld/bolt a metal plate to serve as a new firewall there and make my own brackets to suspend the turbos, muffler(s), wastegates, and all the piping.

so you guys think i should just stick with the stock manifolds? it would save me around $1k to not get the headers and exhaust; but if im running twin turbos, i guess ill have to split the piping to go to each individually? if my thinking is correct, you cant run them in series really.. i dont see much of any way to do it being that once the first turbo is at max boost, its wastegate will open which in my thinking would starve the downstream turbo... anyone have any thoughts on any of this stuff?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by lw.jordan View Post
    as far as fitting everything in there, im pretty much figuring im going to have to relocate my t-top rack and cut out the trunk shell, then build the turbo setup right inside where the trunk space used to be. i think i can just weld/bolt a metal plate to serve as a new firewall there and make my own brackets to suspend the turbos, muffler(s), wastegates, and all the piping.

so you guys think i should just stick with the stock manifolds? it would save me around $1k to not get the headers and exhaust; but if im running twin turbos, i guess ill have to split the piping to go to each individually? if my thinking is correct, you cant run them in series really.. i dont see much of any way to do it being that once the first turbo is at max boost, its wastegate will open which in my thinking would starve the downstream turbo... anyone have any thoughts on any of this stuff?
    I have got to ask......what kind of power are you wanting to make? The reason I ask is you could go with a single turbo and get plenty of power......I have a 76mm turbo and easily made 720rwhp.......I've actually thought about putting a 88mm back there......

I just dont know if you'd want to go thru all that cutting and stuff if you plan on running this car still on the road......

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    I have got to ask......what kind of power are you wanting to make? The reason I ask is you could go with a single turbo and get plenty of power......I have a 76mm turbo and easily made 720rwhp.......I've actually thought about putting a 88mm back there......

I just dont know if you'd want to go thru all that cutting and stuff if you plan on running this car still on the road......
    holy shit that is a lot of power.

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am Firehawk

i had both turbos rebuilt to do 900hp. i shouldnt ever have to upgrade or swap them out.. i was kinda thinking about running just one and having the other as a standby if one breaks or something.. that or i could sell it... theyre t3/t4 hybrids. im not sure about the compressor and turbine measurements. i havent recieved them in the mail yet..
    think i should just save myself some money and use one turbo and model my setup like the sts kit only adding the intercooler?
    i would probably save around 2k doing it like that.. but i would still have stock headers and exhaust.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by lw.jordan View Post
    i had both turbos rebuilt to do 900hp. i shouldnt ever have to upgrade or swap them out.. i was kinda thinking about running just one and having the other as a standby if one breaks or something.. that or i could sell it... theyre t3/t4 hybrids. im not sure about the compressor and turbine measurements. i havent recieved them in the mail yet..
    think i should just save myself some money and use one turbo and model my setup like the sts kit only adding the intercooler?
    i would probably save around 2k doing it like that.. but i would still have stock headers and exhaust.
    Well.....I have actually contemplated moving my setup to the front.....but I just like my A/C in the car and I dont really feel like getting back out and fabbing up a new system to put it up there.......now....you're in the "I haven't even put a pipe up yet" phase......I know there is a company out there that has installed a turbo up front and kept the a/c....may want to do a little research and look at some of the pics......you can mock the system up and then have someone tig-weld everything up and you will have yourself a system.....I dont take my car to the track so I'm not too worried about the split second the turbo kicks in......some people bitch about lag.....believe me.....you wont notice any.......just match the a/r rating up to the motor......

Now....for the intercooler.....if you put it in the back....dont get one....use the money and buy yourself a methanol injection system.....they work better. With an air-to-air intercooler you have to remember...it it's 100 degrees outside then your air is only going to get to ambient temps at best...that's why racers use water-to air intercoolers........but...with methanol you can drop them temps down drastically and be done with it......I plumbed my system up to the windshield washer fluid.....and when I had the car on the dyno the air temps went from 150 degrees before boost hit to 94 degrees in full boost......can't get much better than that........

I would suggest that you first figure out what you want to do with the car.....is it going to be your daily driver.....race car.....both.....full race car.....then decide how much you want to invest.....and finally.....remember...when you start throwing power adders to the motor you're on borrowed time...meaning you shouldn't expect that motor to last 200K miles.......you start getting into the "expendable income" and how much you're willing to go with it....

I put all good parts in my car but I know that it wont last forever.....I've already started planning my next motor......work a little at a time on it and when this one goes just throw it in......

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

I've got a Borla XR-1 on my downpipe, and it didn't hurt spool time at all. That muffler didn't quiet it down much either. It did get rid of the raspy sound that I had without it. Hope that helps you.
    2002 Camaro SS-STS kit, LME built 370, h/c, and a bunch of other stuff

5psi-456 rwhp 498 rwtq ran out of fuel!!

Thread Information