Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSX or SLP

Red
    1998 Formula

LSX or SLP

I have a 98 Formula with Dyantech LT's, Fast 78 mm throttle body, Vigilante converter, electric cutout, Flowmaster muffler, debaffled ram air hood. Should I go with the LSX 78mm intake or the SLP intake with the provisions since I have the EGR stuff.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i would do the lsx. later if you cam the car, the lsx will give you better flow.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'd get a used LS6 for now, you won't see more power from the 78 over a LS6 on a bolt on moter. I'd only buy a Fast 90 and that's only if I had a decent sized (230+, 600+) sized cam.

Red
    1998 Formula

How would I install the LSX intake because of the EGR stuff? Or do they have one that has the provisions like the SLP?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

LSX will build more power........It was designed by Wilson which makes one of the best race manifolds on the market period.
    There is provisions for EGR on both.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

do the lsx if the $ is no prob.
    01 SS A4 3.23-LID-CAI-LTS-ORY-CB-STALL-TUNED-326rwh,335rwt
    60'-1.666, 1/4-11.918@112.83MPH

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

I'm ditching the EGR and going with a used LS6 intake w/o EGR for my TSP T2 cam and boltons. If dollars are no big deal then get an LSX but you can get a LS6 used for around $300.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I'd go with the FAST since it will allow you more options for the future.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

FAST LSx 90mm with a Nick Williams 90mm throttle body.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

SLP W/Provisions?

Buy one with EGR provisions like a SLP or without version and install blank-of plates. Delete it from the computer with handheld or at a tune. Either way will serve your purpose as to gains. If emissions inspections are a serious concern????...I just installed the SLP intake with provisions last week.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Sebring Silver
    2000 z-28 M6

89LX How did the install go ne issues

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

FAST 90mm, or the aluminum BBK 85mm. The aluminum would allow you to portmatch the heads with the intake manifold. I have the BBK. Its a bit cheaper than the FAST as well, but you cant get the 90 throttle body for it.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

LS6 Install

Never installed one so guess it went fairly well. I did the job by myself and took three afternoons (started on the third day). Not much room under the windshield for the four rear bolts so tough on the skin. The bolts aren't really a big deal just lay on top of the engine (blanket). After a lot of reading I discovered that if you raise the rear of the mainfold as high as you can and then slide forward (holding rear four up) you won't break the oil sensor (mine did not break). Same going back together (raise the back). The sensor sits in a recess and you will break it if you don't raise it. I left the fuel rails. and TB on and removed. I had to buy a $5 tool from Auto Zone to disconnect the fuel supply tube to the drivers side rail. Glad I left them on. There is enough clutter to work around without them laying on top of the engine. I forgot (didn't see) the two rear fuel connector elect leads (L&R side) so had to slide it back out to connect. Back and running seems to have more low end torque. I will put it on the dyno next month. Good luck and take your time and notes if old like me (probably not).

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
    FAST 90mm, or the aluminum BBK 85mm. The aluminum would allow you to portmatch the heads with the intake manifold. I have the BBK. Its a bit cheaper than the FAST as well, but you cant get the 90 throttle body for it.
    You can port the LSX also. The coolest thing about that is that when Wilson designed it they put lined indentions in the runners that you use as a guide to the largest you can go with the runners safely...... Basically when you port to where you can't see there line anymore your at the limit.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

90mm fast with the nick williams 90mm tb is the only way to go and there is not much that the fast intake wont allow you to do later.
    finally 551 RWHP!!!!

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

A fast 90/90 is absolute overkill on his very mild bolt on car. Yes it's a great intake if he wants to go faster in the future but he'd be better off with a LS6. Plus I don't see the price of LS6 intakes dropping severely any time soon so it's not like he won't be able to get his $$ back when he goes to resell it.
    -98 GTP Coupe. Silvermist and stock.

-89 GTA*** L98, P1-SC, 24# SVO's, MSD 6-A, March underdrive pulleys, Edelbrock headers/catback and some other goodies.

~Tony

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

i JUST CAN'T SEE PAYING $400 FOR LS6 INTAKE WHEN YOU CAN GET THE FAST FOR $700? Whatever floats your boat I guess. I'm always looking down the road, performance wise and hate to waste money on something that is alright for now but will have to be replaced with another mod. There was a perf. shop told me the 90mm intake was only suited for big displacement stroked motors, and that it wouldn't idle, guess what works fine.

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

The point I was trying to make is that he's not really going to lose much $ if he eventually sells the LS6 intake. He won't gain anything over a LS6 intake with his mods. Why buy a mod to not gain much? It doesn't make sense. Not everyone plans on making a 600hp.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

go big or go home!!!! why buy a v-8 if you dont plan on going fast?

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

look I'm not trying to flame anybody or start shit but why not have big expectations.

Thread Information