Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Basic Knowledge Requests for my new trans.

just picked up a 2001 WS6 trans am. ram air, 6 spd.

wondering what is special about my LS1 Ws6. i read my year has a LS6 intake, and a z06 clutch... follow me?

basically want to know whats already beefed. just got it so, knocking out the bolt ons.

-the intake lid? safe to spend money on a K&N and a SLP lid? or is the lid already bigger?

-i want headers, if i go longtube, will it meet the regular exhaust(cat back)? or will i need a custom ypipe?
    or go shortie and bolt right to the original ypipe?

-any opinions on catback? i ran slp loudmouth 2 on my z, loved it, cant find the loudmouth 2 anymore, only the regular. how's corsa? borla? besides the pricetag is there a difference? id really like the loudmouth 2 if anyone knows where to find the 2...

thats about it, going to put springs, skipshift, traction control switch, strut bar, some white stripes, but i got all that handled.

also, with those bolt ons, what performance times am i looking at? my friend had one similar to mine w/ same bolts and he ran like 12.8@110 or so...

thanks for the help in advance.

SEMPER FI

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Feetontheboard View Post
    just picked up a 2001 WS6 trans am. ram air, 6 spd.

wondering what is special about my LS1 Ws6. i read my year has a LS6 intake, and a z06 clutch... follow me?

basically want to know whats already beefed. just got it so, knocking out the bolt ons.

-the intake lid? safe to spend money on a K&N and a SLP lid? or is the lid already bigger?

-i want headers, if i go longtube, will it meet the regular exhaust(cat back)? or will i need a custom ypipe?
    or go shortie and bolt right to the original ypipe?

-any opinions on catback? i ran slp loudmouth 2 on my z, loved it, cant find the loudmouth 2 anymore, only the regular. how's corsa? borla? besides the pricetag is there a difference? id really like the loudmouth 2 if anyone knows where to find the 2...

thats about it, going to put springs, skipshift, traction control switch, strut bar, some white stripes, but i got all that handled.

also, with those bolt ons, what performance times am i looking at? my friend had one similar to mine w/ same bolts and he ran like 12.8@110 or so...

thanks for the help in advance.

SEMPER FI
    you have the ls6 intake but i dont think you have the ls6 clutch, should still be the ls1.

we gotta see some pics under the hood to see if you have a new lid, it really helps. good cheap mod. and i would steer clear of k&n and get an amsoil filter.

i got long tubes, you'll def. love them, look into pacesetter ceramic coated ones with the pacesetter y-pipe. if you go LT's you'll need a new y

a lot of peeps perfer magnaflow over corsa and borla. you get basically the same flow but not the big $$$ and sounds completely rad. LM1 will drive you insane with LT headers, dont know about the LM2

yeah, if you can drive, get you some gears and you will be maybe mid but def. high 12's

i would also rec. changing your fluids and all filters ie: oil, air, fuel

good luck and welcome on here, you'll love it

Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

thanks for the pointers. i would take pics but limited on time at the current.

as far as the lid, its the 1 that came from the factory for sure, i just didnt know if that one on the ws6 was bigger than or as big as the SLP one.

guess your right about the headers, might as well get the LTs. so ill hold those off til i save a bit more money. ive got a nice training cycle coming up where ill be saving some cash. oohrraa, but catback is a must, that stock exhaust is choking the life out of the engine. ill check out LS1sounds for that magnaflow =]

appreciate the tips!

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Like Blue02Z said you do have the LS6 Intake and all `01 up M6 vehicles have the LS6 clutch (but it's still not that great).
    The WS6 has a different lower airbox then the standard Formula/Trans Am. And that's the only difference in the intake track besides the Hood (which doesn't make a powergain until over 100 mph) The WS6 cat back is little more than a different slightly less restrictive muffler with round tips over the standard Trans Am's setup. And the suspension has a 32mm front swaybar revalved decarbons and 17" wheels/tires over the base cars setup.

IMO spend the money where you need it the most
    Definetly get a Lid, SLP one will be fine
    LM II are still available AFAIK but like said above will sound like Ass with longtubes and a catless Y.
    4.10 gears are probably the best SOTP mod for an M6 car.
    The Suspension should be the next place to start.
    All call to Sam Strano will put you in the right direction.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

the stock catbacks gotta go. i need some rumble. the magnaflow seems pretty nice, and wayyyy better price.. borla over a grand. hah.

about the 4.10 gears, im not really feeling those.. i mean, the pick up in the 1/4 would be nice but i dont want to shave off any top end. i like 160+ =] and its got what 3.83s stock? the goal is to beat my friends catback 05 goat. my 97 z nailed his ass by a car up until 130-140 where i couldnt keep up with those monster heads w/ LT1 heads. =[

anyone ever tried the SLP powerflo ? the 1 with the actual muffler not the resinator tube. i found when i had LMI on my z28 that it sounds badass, but i lost so much throttle response w/o any backpressure (had shorties too) the LMII was badass but i cant find it..

suspension i plan on springs and the strut tower bar off the bat to stiffen it up and give it my aggressive look i love so much.

now, another question i have, whats common on these cars to 'fail' ? pretty sure they had all the kinks worked by 01-02 but is there anything notorious for failure?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69090

just some sounds and vids from some of us on here, mine is the last one. my mods are in the sig. i didnt know about the ls6 clutch but i guess you have one, i already had to replace mine. my guess is you might be able to take your buddies goat with a lid and catback. like stated above, get the slp one, i used to have one and you can tell the difference. you have 3.42's gears stock and 4.10s arent going to affect your top end too bad, and how often are you gonna go 160+? i think i've only hit 155 once before. also the failure you're gonna have to watch out for is the window motor, they always go out, i've been thru 3 of em

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

The biggest known failure is the rearends. If you like too run your car from a dead stop it may not hold too long. Some peoples never break but the majority agrees that the rear is weak, especially if you throw some 4.10s in there.
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

oh ok sweet.
    ya windows and rears were weak on the LTs too, just didnt kno if the LS was any different. haha i have beaten the shit out of my rear on my 97, talking like 3k dumps and everything and its still kicking.

my 97 has MSD all over, shorties, catback, and intake. and i absolutely demolished him from a 15 roll. just about the time of 5th gear reaching 130 ish he just started pulling back on me, but by about 155 when we stopped he was still only rear bumper up on me. and after driving the ws6 it pulls SOO much harder after 100 than my 97 does. so looking like i have a chance. especially once i get the lid and catback and let her breathe a bit more.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

heres what mine sounds like in my sig... with pacesetter lt's, ORY, and the loud mouth 2's...
    '02 Silver WS6 M6 Conversion Date - Mar 22, 2002 #6970, Pacesetter LT's, Nitto 555R DR's
    8.1125 @ 87.79 60' = 1.9377 R/T .0492
    353.5 RWHP 366.4 FT LBS
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=MQBSqgNLI4k
    TSP 231/237 112+2 LSA donations for install please

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Don't waste your time with drop springs unless you plan on doing shocks at the same time. The factory shocks can't even handle the stock springs let alone an aftermarket set with a higher rate.
    Check out http://www.stranoparts.com One of his suspension kits will be all you need, their Not cheap but they are worth every penny.

Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

hmmm, so i guess immediatly ill just get my lid+filter. and a nice catback. and save for LTs + suspension. also gotta thro some stripes or ghost flames to set her apart =]

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 camaro Z28

Cool about catback

you might find the loudmouth 2 on ebay or try www.partsperformanceoutlet.com

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 camaro Z28

Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

cool

Red
    2001 ws6

yes, you have the ls6 intake and z06 clutch, sounds to me money isnt an issue, go with stainless steal LT's with true duals(sounds great and a little more power) lid and filter, under drive pully and a tune, should put you around 350 RWHP, if you want to take it a step further for around 1000 bucks you can get the 90/90 FAST tb/intake manifold, good for 12-15 RWHP, good luck

Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

haha yea money isnt tight i can say... i'm a marine so, i have a nice savings plan. its called, 'i dont have to spend shit'. haha. all expenses are pretty much covered so our pay goes right to the pocket and stays there. unfortunately they only pay us privates 1304 a month, but promotion on the way =] its a good gig.

pulleys, i keep hearing about those but havent tried it. guess all the rant might be worth it. plus i never run the a/c.
    ya keep the tips coming, i just dont want to go too drastic as its a daily driver.

thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

eh, you dont need the fast 90/90 unless you get new heads and a cam

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

some will disagree with me, but i wouldnt do a u/d pullies for a d/d. it drops your alt. output, you can get an alt. overdrive to make up for it but i personally think its too much for not enough

Red
    2001 ws6

90/90 can never hurt even with stock heads and cam

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    90/90 can never hurt even with stock heads and cam
    yeah but he already has the ls6 manifold... i dont know about you but 1000 aint worth 10 hp to me.. maybe in the long run after you get all the basics done but its def not a priority right now

Thread Information