black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

True dual exhaust

What does it take to install a true dual exhaust? I know that my car has cats and sensors,but I'm not sure where they are and how to bypass them properly. Mine is a 98' and that single exhaust has got to be restrictive as hell,like to let it breathe.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

search on this shit for true duals...its been talked about so much i doubt anyone will tell you. you should keep the single outlet. no matter what you do dont sell it..keep it to put on later...s.o exhaust is becoming rare and hard to find.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by kwade View Post
    What does it take to install a true dual exhaust? I know that my car has cats and sensors,but I'm not sure where they are and how to bypass them properly. Mine is a 98' and that single exhaust has got to be restrictive as hell,like to let it breathe.
    On the contrary, as shady hints at, keep the SOTL. Sure it makes your car look like a peg-leg 6-banger, but it actually breathes better and is louder than the 99+ WS6 duals. You might pick up another 5HP w/ an aftermarket cat-back over the SOTL, but ONLY IF you also have headers and an ORY. If anything, you can do the "poor-man's borla" mod and put a cut-out in front of the muffler on the passenger side and run an extra pipe out that side, which is what I plan on doing.

BUT, if you plan on doing true-duals headers-back, then the SOTL outlet might be worth a few bucks to someone wanting to match the other one.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    On the contrary, as shady hints at, keep the SOTL. Sure it makes your car look like a peg-leg 6-banger, but it actually breathes better and is louder than the 99+ WS6 duals. You might pick up another 5HP w/ an aftermarket cat-back over the SOTL, but ONLY IF you also have headers and an ORY. If anything, you can do the "poor-man's borla" mod and put a cut-out in front of the muffler on the passenger side and run an extra pipe out that side, which is what I plan on doing.

BUT, if you plan on doing true-duals headers-back, then the SOTL outlet might be worth a few bucks to someone wanting to match the other one.
    If you put a cutout in front of the muffler,wouldn't it make the new tailpipe a little louder than the other since it doesn't go the muffler and the old one does?

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

If you put a cutout in front of the muffler,wouldn't it make the new tailpipe a little louder than the other since it doesn't go the muffler and the old one does?
    what is a ORY?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

what is a ORY?
    off road y-pipe

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

As stated.. research.. bought my True Dual setup from TSP. Matched it up with Pacesetter long tube headers... did the work myself.. with some help with a buddy. Work was a snap.. and thhen just needed to get it tuned to remove thhe code for the o2 sensors I removed. Picked up 26 rwhp and 19 rwtq from that alone.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

True Dual exhaust is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. 2 1/2 inch pipes over the axle and out to back in the stock location.
    JEB

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

TD's with flows before the axle!! I love mine sounded good nice and quiet at idle loud and in charge at WOT. Now with a cam my car sounds pretty much exactly like the sound effects at the home screen here. Most good exhausts can fab one up.

Thread Information