Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Is my car defective?

Got an 01' Z28. . . has ABS and Anti-slip(Traction control). A few times now, I've been going into a corner at about 30-40, push in on the clutch and then the rear end swings around on me out of the curve. When I re-engage the clutch, traction control kicks in and corrects the slide. It happens so fast (twice now) I can't remember if I hit the brake or not. Sitting here typing this, my initial thought is I must be hitting the brake, but wouldn't think with ABS this could happen. I'm talking 'drift-quality' type slide here and when you don't expect it, it'll damn near scare the shit outta you. Besides thinking I've got too much power for my own good, any other thoughts?

Constructive comments and OTHER accepted since I've opened up the question.

BLACK
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

Sounds like everything is working well on your car, disengage the TC and have fun.

NBM
    98 Z

if you abruptly cut the power mid-corner (as would be the case if you are on the gas and then step on the clutch), the car will want to rotate (known as lift-throttle oversteer (LTO) or trailing-throttle oversteer (TTO)). Sounds to me like that's what's happening. Also as a general rule, the car will be more stable when you're on the gas, and looser when coasting or braking. And any abrupt change in driver inputs will tend to upset the chassis. Why the heck are you stepping on the clutch mid-corner? That'll really upset the chassis.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

If thats what I'm doing and it's starting to sound like it, I would say because I want to slow down and I need to correct my instinct to step on the clutch. I have known how to drive a stick since the 80's but have been stuck with autos. Re-aquainting myself with the 6-speed might not be the best choice. I'll adjust! Thanks for the clearer explaination.

Black
    02 Camaro

Duffster, your best bet is to have an instructor ride shotgun with you at a local track. You will learn a lot.

The LAST thing you want to do while turning, is take your foot off the gas during a turn, unless you have thottle induced oversteer, which I don't think is happening to you here.

When you let off the gas in a corner, the weight shifts from your rear to your front wheels, causing your rear to spin out. You NEED to keep the weight transfer to the rear, and the more MPH, the more you need to keep your gas down. If you are talking a 20 MPH 90 degree corner, you don't need the gas. But long high speed sweepers, keep that gas down, otherwise you will spin because your tail is too light. Good luck, and go to your local track for a few on-track pointers in a safe environment!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I agree-sounds like you need a few pointers.If you're running hard into a corner you need to pay attention to the inputs you're putting into you're tires.Brake before the turn or slightly into the turn-then let off the brake and turn.You should already have the clutch in at this point when you started braking-and downshift and get ready to accelerate out of the middle of the turn. Do this all smoothly and you'll be faster than trying to force the car around.Maybe if you rode with someone like an instructer at a track you could pick up on the rythem and feel of this.Like any good sportscar the F-body will respond quite dramatically to what the driver does-master it and it can be quite fun instead of scary.

black
    1999 Camaro SS

I am with tgrits10 you are upsetting the weight balance of the car. When you push the clutch in mid corner all weight transfers to front. Pick a gear and stick with it through the curve

Black
    2004 Z06

This may be a longshot but your differential has a funny way of going in and out of posi and/or non-posi. It wants to sense when it needs to be in posi depending on weight transfer, loading, stresses and power.
    I had an A4 so this apparently eliminates what any of the sensors in the traction control may need to distinguish as far as locking the rearend as it senses the power being applied constantly and I never had slide outs .. and it was difficult to do when I wanted too.
    Once again this is just an opinion but it seems plausible that your traction control senses a loss of applied power when engaging and disengaging the clutch on an M6 thus your differential may be sensing this and wants to unlock itself thus losing its ability to lock when needed.

Once again just an opinion.

Thread Information