sebring silver
    2000 z28

tranny exploded!!!!!

well i have a 2000 auto z that ran a 12.71 at 109, bolt ons

the tranny went out and i had a local shop rebuild it, beast shell, b @ M shift kit, line pressure on valve body up and on computer tuner line pressure up 6 lbs, along with tq man. delete, and let me tell ya the car shifted HARD, it would leave 6 foot posi marks during the 1-2 shift, and now i regret all i did.

it was about 10 months after the rebuilt and about 6,000 miles later when i was flogging on it and BAM during the 1-2 shift it made a noise as if the driveshaft broke,

the car has neutral, park and rev, thats it, no man. 1 or 2 when it did brake and the car was in 3 or 4 it felt notchy until i slowed down

i know its hard for you to tell me exactly what it is and i will tell you what it is after i tear it down, but some insight on what may have broke, i think this failure was mainly due to a hard shift setup and i may have tq man. put back on, also before the tranny broke it did notice that it felt as if the 2-3 shift was slipping when shifting at 6500(need more shift point tuning after gear install 2.73 to 3.73)

well i need to get around to removing the tranny and have found some nice rebuilds from the pro-built page

i would like the car to run 12.0 and be reliable(tranny wise) if there is a master kit i can buy for my application please send it my way

sorry for the long post

sebring silver
    2000 z28

https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=55&page=1

good rebuild kit? i need a rebuild that will handle several strip/street abuse with about 380hp

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Too much line pressure for sure. Those guys at that site might sell good stuff (some say some say bad ) and are arrogant pricks. I went through Art Carr for mine and cheaper to boot after talking to them. Don't act like you know anything or they will give you the "spill". Bottom line for me I'll pass.
    My Toy 00 Z28 1SC A4 - MS3 cam with supporting valvetrain, Milled LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, , ARP rod and mains, All free mods, pacesetters, True duals, moser 9 with 4.11's and Detroit Locker, Vig 3600 tuned, tubular SFC,adj PHR, LCA, adj TA, PHR reloc, LCA reloc. all with poly bushings, ZR1's and Nitto DR's (315).

My other toy 05 GTO LS2 M6- Comp XR269HR cam, 918's, hardened pushrods, Dart Pro 1's, pacesetters, X-pipe, flowmaster 1 chambers, TSP oil pump, Tick master cylinder. Pedders RR bushings, end links, SB bushings, tie rods and strut mounts, total performance poly F&R bushings. Polk DVC 12", Infinity Kappa 6.5 component and 6x9's with corresponding amps.

Her toy 77 F100-6.6/c6. All original (for now)

quick silver
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Too much line pressure for sure. Those guys at that site might sell good stuff (some say some say bad ) and are arrogant pricks. I went through Art Carr for mine and cheaper to boot after talking to them. Don't act like you know anything or they will give you the "spill". Bottom line for me I'll pass.
    Hard shifts are fun to show off but for all normal driving and going to the trace track your waisting time. Sounds like you exploded Your low planets! Did they install 5pinion planets vs 4?

quick silver
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro View Post
    https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=55&page=1

good rebuild kit? i need a rebuild that will handle several strip/street abuse with about 380hp
    Its not what rebuild kit you put into it it's having a good builder!

sebring silver
    2000 z28

just tell what i need to do to it, and im not sure on the pinion 4 or 5 but will let ya know when i tear it down

Dana
    I have never been accused of being an "arrogant prick" in my life! And for those who know me, that is the last thing that I am. Well I guess there is always a first time.

Hey Dana... don't take it too hard! This is coming for a man that talks about high line pressure then goes on to say he's got an Art Carr, talk about high line pressure!!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Discuss in a matue manner please.....thousands of folks read these strings....most not even members here....just folks out looking for info on Google....so lets act like we are grown men that know what in the hell we are talking about......thanks guys....

quick silver
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics View Post
    I have never been accused of being an "arrogant prick" in my life! And for those who know me, that is the last thing that I am. Well I guess there is always a first time.
    im confused who's was sayin that

Black
    99 SS

line pressure was only uped 6psi??? hell i ran 95psi on my transmission no issues, and my buddy is running 120 with no issues, so im sure that was not the issue here, i htink most of the issues you will run into is the set up, the person who does the work does not either know how to set this transmission up, or he/she does not know the proper clearances needed for a 'high performance' application.

what kind of kit did he use???? were you running a trans cooler?? did the shop upgrade the pumps?? are you running a stall??

i will bet that the trans shop did not upgrade the planetery gear set being that the best set comes from GM and is the upgraded 5 pinion costs around 300 at cost. i would bet they left that out.

in the case the replaced the planets with a 5 they prolly went with an aftermarket other then GM and in that case GM's 4 pinion is much stronger.

since you have no gears, you prolly did blow up the planatery gear set, that sounds to be the issue your having..

Black
    99 SS

I did blow up mine when it was down shifting from 4-2 getting on teh E-way and my car came to a stop and had no gears what so ever...

when you rev it in neutral does it make sort of a humming noise?? or whine???

quick silver
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    I did blow up mine when it was down shifting from 4-2 getting on teh E-way and my car came to a stop and had no gears what so ever...

when you rev it in neutral does it make sort of a humming noise?? or whine???
    could be converter also. When they go out they will make a whinning noise and vehicle will loose all movement in everydirection. Usually this is followed by lots of aluminum in the pan. GM doesn't have that much of a converter problem as does chrysler!

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Trannyman View Post
    could be converter also. When they go out they will make a whinning noise and vehicle will loose all movement in everydirection. Usually this is followed by lots of aluminum in the pan. GM doesn't have that much of a converter problem as does chrysler!

true never though of that, then i would venture to say that it is one of the 2 mentioned

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i've seen 300 psi on my own transmission with a mechanical gauge off the transmission. never broke a hard part from it. but, it does sound like the planetary gears or sunshell broke.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

sebring silver
    2000 z28

i do have reverse and no abnormal sound when rev up in nuetral

tranny mods were b@m shift kit, all that shift kit is was removing the accumulator springs and replacing them with spacers and upping pressure with a different spring on the regulator valve, when my shop rebuilt it they upped pressure on the valve body, then my tuner upped pressure on the computer and deleted torque management. it also has a beast sunshell, no tranny cooler, a 2000 stall ss converter (i believe its a 12 inch)

anyway i just got the tranny out of the car and am getting ready to tear it down to find the problem

i think i will replace the b@m shift kit with the trans go, seeing as they are installed in all the tranny buildups i look up, also its gonna get a 2800 vig, and a big cooler

sebring silver
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics View Post
    and i did call pro-built and by no means did anyone act like an arrogant prick.

if anything they were very helpful and when i get the money im ordering my parts through them

quick silver
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro View Post
    i do have reverse and no abnormal sound when rev up in nuetral

tranny mods were b@m shift kit, all that shift kit is was removing the accumulator springs and replacing them with spacers and upping pressure with a different spring on the regulator valve, when my shop rebuilt it they upped pressure on the valve body, then my tuner upped pressure on the computer and deleted torque management. it also has a beast sunshell, no tranny cooler, a 2000 stall ss converter (i believe its a 12 inch)

anyway i just got the tranny out of the car and am getting ready to tear it down to find the problem

i think i will replace the b@m shift kit with the trans go, seeing as they are installed in all the tranny buildups i look up, also its gonna get a 2800 vig, and a big cooler
    Transgo kits are Great if you don't wanna feel the shifts! There diffenition "A perfect shift has no feelable feature and leaves nothing left to talk about except how fast or short the shift is"

Thread Information