Black
    01 Trans Am

Test Drive Yesterday

Test drove an 06 m6 gto yesterday. I'm not interested in buying one but the g/f is, so I figured I would go look at them. Had 15 miles on it when I started. I've read a lot on here about people saying that the interior is put together so much tighter than the fbody. Well yeah the cars are newer so they're gonna feel tighter. I personally like the look of my t/a interior better. I've got 78000 on my car and the only sqeak or rattle my car makes is a small sqeak in the passenger side t-top when its cold out, other than that nothing. I think once you rack up 80000 on a gto its gonna make the same if not more noises than an fbody. Just my opinion though.
    I don't like the looks of the gto on the outside much at all. My g/f had a 97 grand am for a while that is what the gto reminds me of. You sit about the same height, I look at it and thats all I can think, GRAND AM. Flame away but to me its a girly lookin car.
    Now for my opinion on the LS2. It was a MONSTER on the bottom end but felt like it died off more the higher it revved. Took it out on the interstate and took it up to just over 100. Not sure if it gets there a lot faster than the T/A or not. Its got the torque but doesn't quite feel like the top end screemer the LS1 is, I may be wrong though.
    Well thanks for reading my long ass review of the new goat. Overall great car, and I would like it more if they would have just given it another name, its fast and sweet but it is NOT a gto, IMO. I'll stick with the T/A myself but if she wants to trade in the honda I'm all for it.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The GTO is more of a luxury performance car than an all-out sports car. Its got 4 wheel independent suspension, which improves ride and handling, but adds more weight and creates wheel hop on hard launches. Interior is incomparably nicer than any F-Body (especially in quality), and I think the chassis is just as rigid, if not more so, than the F-Body.

The GTO is basically a higher quality, more luxurious, and less hardcore performance-oriented vehicle compared to the F-Body. Its the kind of car that is a great alternative to the Camaro/Firebird if you consider the F-Body too hardcore of a performance vehicle, and want something more comfortable and better for everyday driving.

Sounds like a good vehicle for a g/f to me

white
    1999 Trans AM 30th anniv.

wish i had a gf to buy a GTO but my wife wouldnt like it or the girl friend

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that was great..

Black
    01 Trans Am

I'll let you borrow mine for a week if you buy her a gto, the wife will never know

BTW anybody raced an ls2? How well does the fbody hold up in a race considering the extra weight of the goat? I know it sure felt like it launched a lot harder but I couldn't really tell if it was much faster once you picked up some speed.
    Last edited by 5LtrBtr; 05-30-2006 at 07:58 AM.

They look sweet anyway.

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5LtrBtr
    I'll let you borrow mine for a week if you buy her a gto, the wife will never know

BTW anybody raced an ls2? How well does the fbody hold up in a race considering the extra weight of the goat? I know it sure felt like it launched a lot harder but I couldn't really tell if it was much faster once you picked up some speed.
    From what ive heard, stock for stock the goat has a ta. Also minor modded trans am vs. stock goat the goat still has it..

Black
    01 Trans Am

Well I got my Road & Track magazine in the mail today and they've got a huge list of cars and gives all sorts of specs on them including 1/4 ets. According to them the goat does 0-60 in 5.0 seconds, 0-100 in 11.9, and 1/4 in 13.5@107.1. Pulls a slightly higher trap speed but other than that those numbers seem close. I've been told its a drivers race but there is only one way to find out. Another thing I found odd, on the skidpad it pulled .84g's. Kinda disappointing considering how good everybody was saying it was supposed to handle, they give the solstice an .88.

Off subject a little bit there is also an article about the new gt500. I was also disappointed with what they had to say about that. 4100 LBS!!! Here are some numbers on it, 0-60 4.7, 0-100 10.7, 1/4 in 13.1@112.2, 0.87g, and a governed top speed of 150.

These may all be bullshit numbers just passing on what I read in the mag.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Well I got my Road & Track magazine in the mail today and they've got a huge list of cars and gives all sorts of specs on them including 1/4 ets. According to them the goat does 0-60 in 5.0 seconds, 0-100 in 11.9, and 1/4 in 13.5@107.1. Pulls a slightly higher trap speed but other than that those numbers seem close. I've been told its a drivers race but there is only one way to find out. Another thing I found odd, on the skidpad it pulled .84g's. Kinda disappointing considering how good everybody was saying it was supposed to handle, they give the solstice an .88.

Off subject a little bit there is also an article about the new gt500. I was also disappointed with what they had to say about that. 4100 LBS!!! Here are some numbers on it, 0-60 4.7, 0-100 10.7, 1/4 in 13.1@112.2, 0.87g, and a governed top speed of 150.

These may all be bullshit numbers just passing on what I read in the mag.
    You can't be serious...the new GT500 weighs in at 4100lbs!?!?!

Thats crazy, I mean even the 03-04 Cobras were heavy at ~3800lbs. Does the new model have IRS or a solid axle?? If its solid axle, then that much weight is really inexcusable.

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    You can't be serious...the new GT500 weighs in at 4100lbs!?!?!

Thats crazy, I mean even the 03-04 Cobras were heavy at ~3800lbs. Does the new model have IRS or a solid axle?? If its solid axle, then that much weight is really inexcusable.
    I sorta understand the weight deal. I mean it has 500 horses if im right. So that covers in a small way lol. But top speed of 150 is BS as well as those numbers, but once again i guess that comes with a 4100 lb car.

GM Service Advisor

Black
    2002 Pontiac T/A Firehawk

My buddie has one, but we haven't raced yet. My car feels quicker, especially with the 4.10's.

silver
    02 vx2 ss m6

rattles

hi guys,

i live in Adelaide australia where gm have the factory for making them. I cant comment on your roads etc but i.ve been in cars made at same plant with 100000miles on them and no noise, plus a company i worked for made the console surrounding the power windows etc.

these cars get driven on dirt roads etc all over australia by people.

for very little investment you can improve the handling and perfomance of them very well.

soon to be T.A. owner

the GOAT is a sleeper to me.. but id still rather own a T/A

yea i like tha gto its a very nice car feels like a real sports car but damn why did they have to cork up the intake and exhaust so much.. i know on the ls1 it was. but for the car its self i think it will hold up more i mean the rearend can hold alot of power and the tranny has been updated so it should hold up very well also i think its a good step up in quality for gm i have 2 cusin that have 6.0 gto's they like them. but i love my z28 nuthing like good old solid rear axle fun in a f body.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5LtrBtr View Post
    According to them the goat does 0-60 in 5.0 seconds, 0-100 in 11.9, and 1/4 in 13.5@107.1. Another thing I found odd, on the skidpad it pulled .84g's. Kinda disappointing considering how good everybody was saying it was supposed to handle, they give the solstice an .88.
    That 1320 time is a little high. Most 06 GTO's can run low 13's with a few high 12's mixed in.
    I think on the skidpad you're missing a point as far as handling. The GTO is giving up 1000 lbs to the solstice and is still in the same ball park handling wise. I just have the 04 and I'll tell you it does handle great. The GTO is just a heavier car. The power is definitely there but the car is a little heavy to be an all out racer. Nice as hell to have as a daily driver though.

Thread Information