Pewter
    2002 WS6

paste special - VE table

When I'm tuning the VE table using LTFTs and STFT data, do I paste in min/max/avg values to the tune? I used avg values on my first changes (which did net power increases), but round two of doing the same process had the car running rich and more sluggish...

Help?

I've searched and read and read and read... any help would be very much appreciated!

-Eagle
    | '02 WS6 M6 | KOOKS/ORY | LC-1 | LOU'S SS | UMI SFCs | BMN LCAs & RELOC's | Hotchkis STB | HSW 150 shot | Lid | 42# Lucas | HPTuner Pro |

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how far off are you? What percentages are you seeing? I found that using %-half worked out much better. I also started just hand smoothing the table and that helped some too. Use the avg when pasting.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

When you are logging change the cell count to 50 hits before it shows you a value and your averages will work MUCH better

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    how far off are you? What percentages are you seeing? I found that using %-half worked out much better. I also started just hand smoothing the table and that helped some too. Use the avg when pasting.
    Perfect, avg values it is. I also like the idea of requiring 50 cell hits before displaying data, that makes good sense too.

%-half tho... hrmmm. I'm not even sure I've seen that option in the paste special function. I'll look more tonight.

The values I'm getting are all over the charts since I put the new lid and filter on, this is why I'm revisiting the issue. I'll post up a SS of my scanned STFT/LTFT tables here in a few.

http://wlwoodscreek.org/dan/ws6/hplfiles/072907_3.hpl <-- Here's a link to the entire hpl file for those with HPT. (Copy the link, and open it directly from the Scanner app, Scan > Open Log File > paste in the URL and hit open.)

Thx,

-Eagle
    Last edited by Eagle; 08-01-2007 at 06:34 AM.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

And I do paste special mult.-%-half for STFT and LTFT values that I captured, to the Primary VE vs RPM vs MAP table?

Thanks for the help fellaz.

-Eagle

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

If your doing VE tuning yes, but they can also be applied to the maf table as well...shoot if you really wanted to get creative you could probably apply them to the IFR table lol depends on what your shooting for and who's tuning

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Any special considerations I should understand when I'm working on my nitrous tune? I'm pushing 150hp through it...

-Eagle

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Yes, purchase a wideband, for your sake as well as your engine's. It will make tuning so much easier & safer for that matter.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Understood. I'm still workin on that one with my wife!

One final question for this thread. Do higher #'s in the Primary VE vs RPM vs MAP table = a richer mixture?

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Understood. I'm still workin on that one with my wife!

One final question for this thread. Do higher #'s in the Primary VE vs RPM vs MAP table = a richer mixture?
    The VE table is what it's named after, a volumetric efficiency table. All your doing is telling the pcm where & how efficient your engine moves air at a given point. By telling the computer this information the pcm then determines how much fuel to add to this "volume" of air it is now moving. So yes in the long run moving the table UP will add fuel in that cell to compensate for that extra volume of air your saying that the engine can move in that cell.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Bill,
    How much does IAT factor into tuning ve? I noticed since the weather has heated up I went a little lean driving around. I had everything pretty well dialed in before. I was seeing 1-2% all over but that was driving at night when it was ~60 degrees. Today I was seeing 2-4% with a couple of cells at 5% and the temp was 90 degrees. I'm OLSD at the moment so I'm guessing the IAT is the culprit in effecting my AFR.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

I don't think you could easily put a # on how much it affects it but yes temp will have an effect on your tune no matter if your running CL MAF, CL SD, OL MAF or OL SD...theres always going to be outside elements playing with your tune.

Thread Information