Thread: Header install

Artic White
    02 WS6 Trans Am

Header install

Well, I looked around the forum for header install advice/tips but didn't see anything so I thought I'd post the question: How difficult is it to install a set of LT's on an 02 LS1 F-body? I've put a set of MAC mid-lengths on an LT1 car and it wasn't that bad but those come apart on one side which made it somewhat easy to get around the steering shaft.

Thoughts anyone?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

There are plenty of posts for instailing headers but in short, Its not hard at all, you will either need a lift or a jack too get the car high enought off the ground too clear the passenger header. Remove the manifolds,cats,and stock y and just put on the new lt's and ory if thats what your using.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I just installed longtubes on my LT1. I think the install was a bitch. The car was down for 2 weeks and I worked on it bit-by-bit in between school and work. I had to fight rusted bolts and tight spaces. But I saved myself $500!
    I also had to get a cherry picker and lift the right side of the engine for the passenger side header. I guess it was fun. I'm running open headers right now...louder than I thought.

black
    2000 WS.6

it took me two days to do it. just be patient while you are working on it, cause there are some tight places you will have to fit your hand into. BTW, i didnt have a car lift, just the basic jacks and jackstands. you should be fine. if you need any help, feel free to ask me. putting headers on an ls1 has been done so many times by regular guys like you and me. also, i am not sure what LT's you want, but the pacesetters are great and slide in pretty easy.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Just to let you know, when you first start up the car with the new headers, if they have coating on them, they smoke a little. At least mine did, and it scared the shit out of me. I didn't know what was going on. But my friend said his did that on his 06 GT.

Red
    1998 C5 Corvette

I just installed some LT on my 99 SS it took me a buddy about 6 1/2 hours.

Black
    99 SS

installed LTs on my 98z with a buddy with out a lift took us 6 hours one night after work to do, not to hard just sucks working in tight spaces but if you have all the tools then its not a big deal at all, make sure you constantly check the header bolts and make sure there tight

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

I just recently put LT's on my car and it took about a week. I got the car 1 1/2 feet off the ground, and it wasn't particularly fun. I would recommend getting the blue locktite for the header bolts. (not red, blue is moderately sticky and will break free w/o causing damage) It will eliminate the possibility of them comming out after the job is done.

silver
    02/SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    I just installed longtubes on my LT1. I think the install was a bitch. The car was down for 2 weeks and I worked on it bit-by-bit in between school and work. I had to fight rusted bolts and tight spaces. But I saved myself $500!
    I also had to get a cherry picker and lift the right side of the engine for the passenger side header. I guess it was fun. I'm running open headers right now...louder than I thought.
    I'll second that!!!! Just helped a friend do his LT1 LT's...................NEVER AGAIN!! Did my LS1 in about 8hrs by myself. His took a couple days with 2-3 people

Pewter
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

If you look at www.installuniversity.com the have a write up to on how to change your plugs. Getting you coils off and out of the way as well as you plugs, wires, and air tubes will give you lots of room on the top side. Taking the steering shaft out was also a huge help on mine. I also had to notch my K member slightly because the headers where hitting.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2390/4470/65561.jpg
    2002 Trans AM WS6
    Jet Hot Long Tubes and Y-pipe, Hooker Catback, SLP Lid, Kenny Brown Double Diamond Subs, TSP Magic Stick, Yank SS3400
    403 Horse, 357 Ft/lbs.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Sounds like you have mechanical ability so you shouldn't have any problems. Just remember to get the car way up. When you think the car is high enough go another 12 inches.

Thread Information