Thread: running rich

Artic White
    99 SS

running rich

my younger brother has a 98 camaro Z28. his mods are pacesetter headers ORY pipe (no cats) magnaflow catback, gears, O2 sims, SLP flopac. he has pretty much a stock tune. well he got a SES light. bank 1 sensor 1. so a O2 sensor went bad. its since been replaced and the code cleared. now for some reason, its been running rich.... when he first jumps on the throttle, he puffs black smoke, at high rpm shifts, he even shoots a flame out of the exhaust. he says now his gas milage has went downhill. what could be happening here?

NBM
    1999 SS

did you use a cheap bosch replacement sensor from the auto parts store or a delco? Makes a BIG difference.

Artic White
    99 SS

actually he used an original O2 that came out of a 99Z28 that was wrecked...my neighbors

Artic White
    99 SS

what sensor brand should he buy?

NBM
    1998Z28

I would pull out the O2 sensor you got from your neighbors car and get a fine copper wire brush and give it a good cleaning up and reinstall it. I've seen this work twice might be worth the trouble. Thoses sensor ends need to be clean.

NBM
    1999 SS

Probably best to buy a NEW AC delco sensor. Either from the dealer or a parts store. The parts store will prob. have to order it in though. Most don't stock delco parts.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by kealap View Post
    did you use a cheap bosch replacement sensor from the auto parts store or a delco? Makes a BIG difference.
    I thought Bosch parts were good. I replaced two of my 02 sensors with Bosch a while back and they're fine.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by ssdreamz View Post
    my younger brother has a 98 camaro Z28. his mods are pacesetter headers ORY pipe (no cats) magnaflow catback, gears, O2 sims, SLP flopac. he has pretty much a stock tune. well he got a SES light. bank 1 sensor 1. so a O2 sensor went bad. its since been replaced and the code cleared. now for some reason, its been running rich.... when he first jumps on the throttle, he puffs black smoke, at high rpm shifts, he even shoots a flame out of the exhaust. he says now his gas milage has went downhill. what could be happening here?
    sorry to change the subject but i have the same mods minus the gears, pacesetters & ory. I plan on getting the pacesetters and ory, do you think it sounds raspy at all?

Artic White
    99 SS

doesnt sound raspy at all, actually it is quit mellow until he hammers on it

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by ssdreamz View Post
    doesnt sound raspy at all, actually it is quit mellow until he hammers on it
    hmmm, good to hear. I saw a clip on ls1sounds.com with a z28 that had jet hot lt's, ory and magnaflow. whenever he let off the gas it was really raspy and sounded like shit.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

After Lt headers the general consensus is that our cars run a little rich at WOT (wide open throttle). The PCM will strive to keep the air to fuel ratio at stoich (14.7) during idle and part throttle. Fuel trims at WOT go off the Maf table I believe. So tuning will yield you the most hp gains possible and can clear up any related problems while at WOT.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

You used a 99 02 sensor on a 98 ??? Probably not the right one---

Artic White
    99 SS

actually i was wrong it was his own rear O2 sensors that he deleted but kept the sensors

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would replace the sensors and get a tune. Running rich will foul O2's over time. I think there should be a law written that states if you mod your car it's required that you purchase some type of logging software. If he were to log the car it would tell him and others exactly what's going on with the car.

Thread Information