Thread: stall converter

Black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

stall converter

I was thinking about puting in a stall converter but was wondering if I would lose any of my driveabitly I want to be able to still use my cruise control and still putt around town and still get the around the same gas mileage. I know that the performance gains are huge but I really want a true daily driver not just a weekend car.

depending on how high of a stall you go you might lose just a little gas milage putting around in stop n go traffic b/c the overdrive want kick in untill you start driving. you want lose that much though and it will stay the same on most streets, highways and interstate. ide put it in.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

click on the search then 3,500 stall, stall converter, how big of a stall can i go. they are all there there are plenty of thread you just have to look a little.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Will give you what I know, which isn't much. I never had anything but a stock stall converter in any car. After years of having the Z28 I finally decided to get one, so I went with a Yank stealth stall(same thing as a SLP stealth stall), nothing special, a restalled out stock converter to 2600 rpms. My goal at the time was just a high 12 second car on a regular basis. Well, the stall worked fine, but gain was so little I was running 13.0's all the time and on occasion a 12.9 would come about. Drving it around town was just like stock and maybe even better than stock.1/4 mile gains were maybe 1.5/10ths, nothing much(before the 2600 stall my normal times were 13.1's-2's). So, after a couple months in the car I decided to go with a Fuddle 3400 stall with 2.1 str. I have 3:42 gears and it was what was recommended. First time at the track I ran a 12.8 on Nittos, so my times were much better, next time at the track ran a 12.6. Last week I ran a 1.695 60 foot and 7.9 1/8th with only suspension mods being Bilstein shocks and lower control arms. Before the Fuddle stall my average 60 foot times fell right around 1.950 and no upgrades have been done to anything since. I run 16x8 wheels and nitto drag radials at 18psi.
    That shows the performance gain, now driveability...
    My car is my daily driver, I put about 40 miles on it a day mixed highway and city. I get on average about 19mpg..I need a custom tune, so with one I should see around 21mpg. Before the stall I averaged about 21mpg, so is not too bad and car is 350 area rwhp. I do miss the instant power when you touch the gas like the stock stall, but I really like the feeling it makes when the rpms climb to 3400 and you take off. I think I have lost a little top end due to inefficiency, but not a large amount. I didn't do any tuning with the new stall and started getting pwm(pulse width modulation) right after I had it put in(sounds like a rock in the tranny when you are cruising at lower rpms and tap the gas). Is supposed to be cured with a shift kit and have a appt to have one put in Thursday, so will see. Other than the pwm and having to give about double the gas at a stop light, I really like a bigger converter. If you are really concerned about times, drivabilty, less chance of pwm problems and overall feeling, stick with a smaller stall(such as 3000) and I think you will be happy. If I did it all over again I am not sure if I would have went lower though. If I never took the car to the track, I would probably get a 3000 or even 2800 for best drivability. Your concerns were the same as mine when I bought my stall.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 05-09-2006 at 11:55 AM.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

get a tci streetfighter 3000 rpm canverter.
    it drives like stock and knocked off almost .6 tenths of time at the track.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Thanks for all the helpful imformation and thats about what I thought a satll converter might have on driveabitly in the city. I was also considering putting in a set of 3.73 or both at some point that would help keep the car in the stall speed. I do have a shift kit,would that help a stall converter.

2002 Z28

Yep, would help with pwm.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

how do you like your k&n intake

Black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Can you still use your crusie control on the highway

2002 Z28

If your asking me about the K&N fipk, I like it, looks great and warranty is beyond my expectations. The filter is carbon fiber, I over tightened it and it cracked, I emailed K&N and a few days later a new filter arrived for free, never asked for a reciept, or anything, just picture through email to show the crack. The only bad thing is heat soak, but must not be horrible since I'm running good times for the weight and mods. Any converter if working properly locks up on the highway, so yes..it is just like stock. It is when you punch the gas the converter unlocks until it comes up to the rpms.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by junkman
    Can you still use your crusie control on the highway
    yup

Thread Information