Angry I think the transmission is dead.

I go out to do some late night cruising, nothing special just driving around killing time. I go over a bridge and my car (95 Z28) down shifts while the engine revs up to around 5K RPM. I'm thinking no big deal my foot is on the throttle pretty hard, I'm going up hill, and the car is still pulling. I get off the bridge and notice that the car slips when it goes into third. Now the tach just flies to the moon when the tranny tries to shift. To drive around I have to keep the car in low (1 & 2 is just low on my car). Made it home and checked the fluid. The fluid is a dark red color and was reading low. I checked my tranny fluid roughly once a week and a week ago it was fine, looks like I had a blow out on the pan gasket. I'm going to change the pan, gasket, fluid, and maybe add some sea foam trans tune. I doubt this is going to help with anything, I have a feeling I just burned up the transmission.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

if all you have is 1 and 2, then the 3/4 clutch pack burned up. time for a rebuild.
    Last edited by mrr23; 07-09-2006 at 12:14 AM.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

agreed you have had a 3-4 clutch failure , time for a rebuild and make sure they replace the pcs and if possible a z pack or buy a good performance trans from someone allready built .
    megamax

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i will warn against ever using the z-pak. took out 2 of those expensive 3/4 clutch paks. my trans guy thought it was a cool idea as well. until i took out the first one at 1500 miles, then the second time at 700 miles already had over .050" clearance. went back to the commercial pack with no issues.

Black
    99 SS

yup, been in your situation a million times, make sure the builder knows exactly what he is doing, or it will turn into a nightmare like mine has

Black
    99 SS

hum, about the Z pack why does everyone claim it to be so good? cause the guy who did my trans has already put 3 of them in my car, and the factory one lasted for 73k and never any problems on it

I use the zpack in ever transmission i build for hipo and thats alot , the only failures i have seen so far were from other who installed them incorrectly or without proper clearance , ussually i find them with the top plate installed upside down at the bottom of clutch bacause at first glance it makes sense , unfortunatly it will also cause a failure , we have trannys many trannys with 600 plus rear wheel holding up over a year now with very abusive driving , I have been exstremely happy with there service , Its proven isself to me repeatedly

by the way of note they arent expensive people just rip people off alot on the cost they run about 50 dollars , anyone tells you more your getting ripped , megamax

Black
    99 SS

i see its more of the installer then the products. i think my problem is with the installers

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

it's just going to be one of those products that are a hit or miss item. glad to see they are working out for you. i'm not a trans builder, but i trust the one that does mine. so long as they work for you, then keep using them.

Black
    99 SS

yea, but my problem is that its been back to the transmission shop 5 times now, and is going to be there all next week, hell prolly the next month and the thing is that i know it wont be right when i get it back

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by megamaxtrannys View Post
    by the way of note they arent expensive people just rip people off alot on the cost they run about 50 dollars , anyone tells you more your getting ripped , megamax
    i bought from dacco/detroit, the local wholesaler. now, i'm not a trans shop, so i know i don't get the deep discount. but $75.00 twice down the drain is expensive for me. again, maybe he didn't put the plate in right. or he lied about having the proper clearance. but after doing my trans for over ten years, something just wasn't right with my episodes with them.

Well other than the inccorect install the only other faures i have seen are damaged drum or rings on drum ,and once a guy had installed a super servo and left out the red return spring that went with it , and a superservo used with the trango kit with the 3rd acculmulator restricted with the little plugs they use in plate , and last no matter what clutch pack you put in if the pcs is bad it will fry it ,
    megamax

Dad wanted to drive my car today, I guess he doesn't think I'm right in thinking the tranny is toast, wanted to see if the toque converter was the problem. Sure enough it slips every time in third. Gonna pull the pan at a shop to check for metal and all that good stuff Tuesday. I'm thinking hard about going with the performance option but I might not be able to go that route. Total price of this little job (with labor) needs to be around 2K. I work at advance auto so I can get a rebuilt transmission for around 1100+ and a used one from Advance for $600. I want to go with a performance tranny but then again the engine has just bolt ons and not even headers. Not like I'm pushing the 4L60E to its limits with my less than 300rwhp. I'm considering going the used route, depending on how many miles are on the transmission it should last a while (comes with a one year unlimited mileage warranty). Then again the POS in my car gave out at 84K.

Thread Information