Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTO or WS6?

GTO or WS6?

Like the title says, which should I go for? I am also looking at a few Z28s but... I dunno. Camaro's don't impress me much but then I don't know a whole lot about Z28s beyond they had an LS1 in them. What's the GTO like? I never even heard of them (I know, wierd) until a couple days ago when I rolled into a pontiac dealer and saw a silver 2006 sitten out front. Are they the new Trans Am or what? Sorry but I am not exactly car wise, though I am slowly but surely trying to learn. Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated =) Also, what's new with the LS2 engine in the GTO? Just 6.0L and 400hp?

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I'd say go for the ws6 they are much better looking then the gto. also there done making the gto after 06, cant sell them. Yes there fast but thats all. WS6 for life.

GTO = ugly... u know my answer.

'93 S10 LS1

Ws6

Collector Yellow (54U)
    2002 Trans Am CE

I'm down with getting a WS6 if you really want a headturner.

If you plan on starting a family soon and want a fast sedan, go with the GTO.
    2002 Trans Am Collector Edition WS6 ASC# 619
    Coupe | Collector Yellow on Ebony Leather | A4 | TCS | #126 of 510 T-Top w/A4 made
    CETA 619 "The Falcon"

Collector Edition Owner Site: www.collectorfbody.com

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

The GTO looks way to euro. It kinda looks like a cool cavalier and thats not saying much at all. Yes they have the ls2 but i get more looks than a one legged hooker in my WS6.

From what one guy told me their 400rwhp doesn't really matter much anyways. They are still just as fast as a WS6 cause apparently they weigh more? I dunno maybe the guy didn't know what he was saying but it seems to make sense to me :P Now my question is... has anyone tried finding a totaled GTO and dropping the LS2 into their F-Body yet? Or would that not even make a real difference in a ws6/SS/whatever (remember I'm still new to all this).

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

The t/a's actually were underrated and produced 350 hp at the flywheel. And yes people do put ls2's and ls6's in their f-body's but only if there motor is do for a rebuild so they'll drop one in but if your ls1 is fine there's no real reason to put one in, you can build it up to be just as fast.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

fyi, u say z28s dont really impress u..... im not gonna try to change ur mind on that, but if ur talking performance there is NOTHING different between them and a trans am.

if ur jsut talking about looks, then yea i understand lol

On the Z28 I meant looks wise. I just can't stand their hoods... it's too... I dunno... sloped and pointy? Plain? One of those. I know performance wise there isn't a real big difference between them and a T/A... that I know of anyways.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Kalithor View Post
    On the Z28 I meant looks wise. I just can't stand their hoods... it's too... I dunno... sloped and pointy? Plain? One of those. I know performance wise there isn't a real big difference between them and a T/A... that I know of anyways.
    i understand what u mean about looks. but yea, as for performance they are literally the exact same car with different bodies and slightly different interiors. so if its not JUST looks that repel u from z28s, know that there is absolutely ZERO performance difference between them and trans ams.

but sicne ur talkin about looks, definitely pick the trans am over the gto.

I figure you buy the car that looks best stock then build up the power so that even if a worse looking car started out the same or more powerful it no longer matters who started where. I'm hoping to get full bolt ons (which I'm told hits me at like... 400hp but that could be wrong the guy drives a RX7) before I do any of the body work that I want done (mainly just a paint job to make the car more unique).

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Definitly go with the WS6. Way better looking!

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

I can honestly say that pontiac disapointed the hell outta me with the GTO. go for the ws6, WAY more muscle!

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA View Post
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
    true

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

ss or a ws6

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Kalithor View Post
    From what one guy told me their 400rwhp doesn't really matter much anyways. They are still just as fast as a WS6 cause apparently they weigh more? I dunno maybe the guy didn't know what he was saying but it seems to make sense to me :P Now my question is... has anyone tried finding a totaled GTO and dropping the LS2 into their F-Body yet? Or would that not even make a real difference in a ws6/SS/whatever (remember I'm still new to all this).
    some guy told you 400hp doesnt mean anything? he must have been on medication...
    yep, they weigh alittle more but they are nasty from a roll. and GTOs may not be the attention getter the ws6 is but what the fuck is this, a beauty pageant?

your heart is in the right place, but your logic is starting to smell like my ass. (no offense intended)

lets think about this.....the ls2 is a bigger cube engine, hence it will take to modding extremely well, as all LSX engines seem to. now its not too much bigger, but it is bigger, and will spank an ls1 with the same mods. thats just a fact of life. the gto's weight is a drawback when getting off the line, plus they have the independent rears which made it trickier for me launching it when i test drove one. a stock 2004 goat will be beaten by an f body. its again, the weight issue. but if an 05 and up goat gets beat off the line, my guess is the added amount of torque from the ls2 makes the goat shine despite its slower hole shot. goats are still expensive, but if you are thinking of getting a later model ws6 with low miles, prepare to bend over, if youre going to a dealership especially. 01-02 ws6s are easily in the 18 and up. in fact that seems to be the majority. i wanted one but the day i buy a car for 19k with 70k miles on it im going to shoot myself in the head.

if you arent that car savvy i wouldnt worry about buying a goat donor car for the engine, then buying an f body and dropping it in. even if you did it yourself the cost would far exceed what youre wanting to pay, and even then youd have a stock ls2 in an f bod. the more you mod an ls2 goat, the more the weight issue disspates.

Do what you feel
    Good luck

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

i drove a gto was faster from a dig had bad wheel hop) than my 01 ss BUT...... from a 50 mph roll my ss wins easily

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    i drove a gto was faster from a dig had bad wheel hop) than my 01 ss BUT...... from a 50 mph roll my ss wins easily
    what year?

im not saying the ls2 goats are supreme from a roll but they are fast on the highway.

Thread Information