Thread: How do I....

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

How do I....

So I have done a head swap on my 99 T/A no biggy
    Well i have the new heads on and I didn't put the exhaust manifold(stock) back in before i put the heads in. Got the passanger side in with out a hitch
    Now i am trying to get the drivers side in and its a no joy.... Am i missing something here.

I can't get the steering coupler off so that's no good and taking the catalitic converter to put it up through the bottom seems to be way that I can't go eigther.. I am at a loss here as what todo. I have a Chilton Manual for the car and it says to take it off and put it back with out any hick-up so the book is obviously full of shit.

I need some help here from anyone!!!!!! please!!!!!

black
    1999 trans am

easy just throw the manifolds in the trash and buy some long tube header slip them up from underneath and you done

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Yea if you have money.... in any case i got some info on it and got it in....

Now I was putting the cyl. heads coolant pipe on and had my trusty torque wrench set to 15ft lbs and what do you know one of the bolts broke off in the head. its sticking out about 3/16 of an inch not enough to get some pliers on it and back it out... So i am at a loss at what to do with this now

theres always something isn't there... ... ... ...

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

if you have a cutting wheel, then cut a slot into the stud and use a screwdriver to pull it out. if not, then you'll have to chop it off even with the head, then drill it out. have fun with that.

once you get it out, if you insist on using a torque wrench, i think it'll be 106 in-lbs. that's about 9 ft-lbs. i never used a torque wrench on those. did it by hand until it's was snug.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

I have a dremmel I think I will give it a shot and see how it goes. I think there is enough meat on it to try that out.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Or you could just take the head back off and take to a shop and have it tapped and re-threaded. Then it will be just like new. It should only cost like $10 too. But taking a head off after putting it back on is a pain and steeping backwards in the building process.
    And that steering knuckle should come off. There's only 2 bolts holding in. Take those out and give it a few yanks. You may need a screwdriver to pry at it a little.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Yea I got the steering knuckle off and got it on.

Is thre anythign that I have to line up when I put it back on. also, should i use a locktite of some sort whe ni so. The last thing that I want it to have the steering links come apart when i am going 70mph

As far as taking the head off agian... NO...NO NONononononononon NOOO. LOL
    I would have to get ANOTHER gasket... sigh... and new head bolts I would guess....

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Right now i just want to burry my car in the back yard!!!!

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I know how you feel.

Just make sure you put the steering knuckle on the same way you took it off. Same orientation and everything, or else you're steering will be off. And I didn't put anything on my bolts when I put it back on. And I've had not problems with steering since.

Thread Information