Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Lightbulb 1999 LS1 Ram Air Birds- You Vehicle Performance

Hello Folks,

Now check this out, I am speaking to this one guy who is selling his White 1999 Trans Am Ram Air WS6 for $7,800. I will be checking out his vehicle this Friday. The bad thing about the vehicle is that it has 155,000 miles on it. He is the second owner, his girlfriend's mother is the first. During the mother's ownership, the dealer discovered metal shaving when changing the oil, thus, they replaced the engine (he mentioned of having paper proof of this). I so want to pick up this vehicle but have my doubts based on age of the vehicle and mileage. I feel the price is sound. He wants to rid this TA to purchase a Manual Black TA. What do you think about his vehicle? I have yet to inspect the vehicle personally. If I purchase the vehicle, I will leave it as it is and either add red or a shade of blue stripes. I will drive this vehicle everyday to work rather than my 4 cylinder Saturn L200 or wearing out my 2001 TA.

How is your vehicle performance and how many miles do you have on it?

Besides that, he also informed me that the tires will need replacement due to the wear. I guess I'm looking at an extra $1,000.

Matthew

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

hmm... i saw a green lt1 t.a. for $8k the other day with under 60k miles, in amazing condition. just food for thought.

im sure u can come across better deals than that

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Rare WS6 Buy

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    hmm... i saw a green lt1 t.a. for $8k the other day with under 60k miles, in amazing condition. just food for thought.

im sure u can come across better deals than that
    Thanks for letting me know...... it's rare though.

Matthew

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

if its an ls1 and the car is in nice shape id jump on it !! its probably highway miles but if he replaced the engine its gotta be good deal an ls1 will cost you 3-5 k just for the motor. so ? just my 2 pennys

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

A Lemon Down the Road

Thanks for the 2 pennies Sir!!!!

Yes those miles are highway miles..... he mentioned the front fascia being protected with a skirt.

But you know Ray, the engine was probably replaced upon the first 3000 mile initial oil change.... thus we are really looking at 152,000 miles.

He mentioned the engine runs super well.

I'm so wanting to jump on it if everything pans out..... just worry that it may be a lemon a coupel months down the road with that kind of mileage.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by ray wagers jr View Post
    if its an ls1 and the car is in nice shape id jump on it !! its probably highway miles but if he replaced the engine its gotta be good deal an ls1 will cost you 3-5 k just for the motor. so ? just my 2 pennys

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I'd say, find out the mileage when the engine was replaced before making up your mind. If it was only like 3,000 like you said then I'd look elsewhere. If it was say 30,000 or whatever then I'd consider it. Other thing you'll have to consider is, the engine might be newer, but the clutch, tranny and rest of driveline still hass 155,000 miles on it.

I bought my 99 in november with 48K for 14,500 in pretty much mint condition. Of course I'm having some issues with it now, but that's just my bad luck.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Wear and Tear Consideration

Mike, thanks for the advice.... as wel know, all vehicle will eventually have problems.... I just don't want problems with this vehicle for at least the next 2 years. I will definitely ask him at how many miles was the engine replaced.

Yes, the other part of the vehicle must be considered besides that of the engine. Thanks for being honest about the issues you are having.......

They guy who is sellling the vehicle, mentioned he would convert it over to a 6 speed from the current automatic if he can't sell it. I personally don't think it's a good idea for it would cost him much more than buying a stick.

I'll let you guys know my finding this Friday when I first hand witness the vehicle.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    I'd say, find out the mileage when the engine was replaced before making up your mind. If it was only like 3,000 like you said then I'd look elsewhere. If it was say 30,000 or whatever then I'd consider it. Other thing you'll have to consider is, the engine might be newer, but the clutch, tranny and rest of driveline still hass 155,000 miles on it.

I bought my 99 in november with 48K for 14,500 in pretty much mint condition. Of course I'm having some issues with it now, but that's just my bad luck.

2000 Silver WS6 M6
    2002 Black Tahoe

. . . so this WS6 will be in addition to 2 cars you already have? I'm just curious why you would be getting another WS6 if you already have a daily driver (Saturn) and a TA??
    It seems that if you really don't NEED another car, why would you be getting one that has excessive mileage?? It seems as if you'd be walking into problems that you don't need. If you don't have a timeline, I would search for one with less mileage and/or a better deal.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Red face Freaking Infactuation----------

Hello Buddy! Super points! No wonder why you are GM advisor. Here is some explanation-------I don't drive my 2001 TA because it is just immaculate. I wash it 2 times a year along with 2 oil changes. It has 11,000 and I want to keep it low for my children one day... dum as it sounds, that's what I want to do. The underside of the vehicle is brand new along with the engine components. It's never been out in the rain. My wife drives an Expedition and I drive a Saturn.

I would love to be able to drive a carefree Firebird around and have my wife drive the 4 cylinder Saturn and park the big Expedition.

Based on the price of gas these days, I thought of purchasing just a 6 cylinder Firebird...... but for some damn reason, my brain is telling me that the V6 bird is not very appealing........... Firebirds are worth a dime a dozen around here and you can pick up one every corner you turn.

Granted the TA I'm looking at has high mileage, my other vehicle would be use as backup in case it dies. For a whole week a couple months ago, my TA was use as backup for a whole week when the Saturn was in the shop. I did not like that at all.

From these explanation, I guess you can see how much I value my 2001 Trans Am even though I don't drive it! hahahahhah Only if all these things in life does not mean a dime to us, we would still be driving a Ford Pinto or a Gremlin I guess..

Good day and thanks for the advise, I will keep it under consideration when checking out the vehicle this Friday. Don't let the factuation make the judgment right?

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by SLP_WS6 View Post
    . . . so this WS6 will be in addition to 2 cars you already have? I'm just curious why you would be getting another WS6 if you already have a daily driver (Saturn) and a TA??
    It seems that if you really don't NEED another car, why would you be getting one that has excessive mileage?? It seems as if you'd be walking into problems that you don't need. If you don't have a timeline, I would search for one with less mileage and/or a better deal.

Black
    2001 T/A WS6 M6

I found several when I was looking that I feel were better deals. I know of a dark blue 2000 T/A with about 63k miles. Its a Automatic. Can be bought for $8,500 In San Diego, Ca. area. Owned by elderly couple.

Also know of a pewter 2000 T/A auto with 65k miles real clean for $10,500obo In Antioch, Ca

Last one is a Pewter 2000 T/A WS6 auto with bolt ons. 97k miles for $10,500 was asking more but wants to sell it to buy his wife something she has her eye on. Also very clean Visalia, Ca.

All these cars have much less miles for just a little more money

PM me I can get you the phone numbers if your interested.
    Last edited by WS6fan; 07-22-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Pass the Info On.................

Hello California LS1,

Thanks for informing me of these vehicles. I was interested in that vehicle at first because the guy was real close to me, about 10 mils or so away. I assumed his vehicle was a WS6.... until I saw on CraigsList that he was selling the original factory hood for that vehicle. Speak about a big turnoff. Despite the mileage, here I thought it was an original WS6. For that price with 155,000 for a 1999 is not a very good deal.

The Antioch one sounds good but too far away for me to personally inspect the vehicle without buying it. So is Visalia, 200 hundred something odd miles away. San Diego is a little closer since I live in Lakewood, in between Orange County and LA.

Pass on the San Diego info to me if you will and any links to preview.

Any TA purchased today, I feel should be at least a 2000 and up.... anything under that may have passed through more than one owner, accidents, or too many miles. I guess if price was not an issue, we can bring for any of those Final Yellow Edition on Cars.com for $23,000 with less than 5,000 miles Huh?

At any rate, thanks for the passing the info along.

Matthew
    P.S. I feel that if I don't pick this TA up as a side car soon, every year that passes, TA owners will undoubtely put more miles on their vehicle. Firebirds around here are turning over like pancakes from one owner to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6fan View Post
    I found several when I was looking that I feel were better deals. I know of a dark blue 2000 T/A with about 63k miles. Its a Automatic. Can be bought for $8,500 In San Diego, Ca. area. Owned by elderly couple.

Also know of a pewter 2000 T/A auto with 65k miles real clean for $10,500obo In Antioch, Ca

Last one is a Pewter 2000 T/A WS6 auto with bolt ons. 97k miles for $10,500 was asking more but wants to sell it to buy his wife something she has her eye on. Also very clean Visalia, Ca.

All these cars have much less miles for just a little more money

PM me I can get you the phone numbers if your interested.

Black
    2001 T/A WS6 M6

Check out auto trader the one from SD is gone. I was just looking on there and I seen some fair deals.

Thread Information