Gun Metal Blue
    1997 Jeep Wrangler

Looking at a 1994 T/S 5.7L LT1. Please answer some of my (newbish) questions.

First off as you can see from my profile, I have a Jeep Wrangler. (Always loved off-roading and never gonna stop). Though recently I've been finding some great deals on some F-Bodys. Anyways, today I found a 1994 5.7L T/A, Red, no t-tops. The body is damn near mint, with a few spider webs only on the front bumper... Thing has been detailed all summer, regular maintenance, and just recently had the auto trans completely rebuilt (and proof of it). Interior is in perfect condition (no tears in leather at 13 years old!!!)

My questions lie in the fact that it has 140k miles...

What should I expect... the trans has been professionally rebuilt, thing has been cared for like a baby.

Only problems are:

-the blinker "base" broke and the spring came out, so the blinker handle just kinda flops around... (cheap, but easy? fix?)
    -pass. side headlight makes a grinding noise for about 5 seconds about 2 seconds after it is down all the way when lights are turned off.
    -driver side fog light is bad, might be more than a bulb, something to do with the housing...
    -driver side window comes off track now and then, but a new track is $50???
    -Needs new windshield soon (large crack in it) (Says it is quoted at only $100 at some local place?)
    -Needs new pads (easy)

So... I am pretty much in love with this despite it's minor drawbacks... The body is in great condition, motor and tranny seem and sound to be in great condition. Tints all around (minus windshield) and straight pipes, no muffler (sounds great!)

Reason I want it so bad, is the price tag is $3500

Good deal? There will be no haggling... it's been confirmed. Only thing that scares me is the miles on the engine! What should I do..

Anything esle I should check on?

I know with Wranglers it's check on the rear axle, check for any abuse underneath, etc... But I know squat about these cars other than I know I want one badly! Anything I should check on in regards to axles, engine components, hidden signs of abuse?

It's got a clear title, and he is only the second owner.

Hope you guys can enlighten me soon, I have a feeling this T/A's got a time limit on it.

Thanks!

Gun Metal Blue
    1997 Jeep Wrangler

bump

Blue w/silver stripes
    1994 camaro z28

hey...a have a 1994 camaro z28 lt1 6-speed t-tops....make sure it doesnt have any problems holding water or coolant.....ive had to replace waterpump, distributor, and radiator....since ive gotten those few bugs out, its a blast to drive...very quick

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

I'm not exactly sure at what that car values, so I can't really determine if the price is accurate for the year/mileage. Personally, I would recommend staying away from cars with very high miles if your bank account will allow you to.

Also, be sure to just not check for maintenance/wear items when it comes to LT1's. They are notorious for blowing head gaskets as well as just overheating problems in general. You can get ripped really easy. The rebuilt trans is definitely a plus, but the cars got a significant amount of other maintenance issues. Once again that goes back to the mileage. I'd either talk him down significantly on the price, or find a better car with less mileage and lower maintenance!

Gun Metal Blue
    1997 Jeep Wrangler

Hmm... Thanks for the info so far guys. I was reading somewhere, I think on LS1LT1.com through a search, that LT1's will last into the high 100k's / to 200k with proper maintenance (oil changes, not beat on, etc..)

Anybody got any experience (or heard anything) with high mileage LT1's?

Also, what kinda tranny does this have? It's been rebuilt recently, so I shouldn't have any problems with that for a long time... just the motor is my only concern.

I COULD wait until spring time to find another F-Body and make a purchase, just I thought this deal is too good to pass up.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Don't get to hyped on that. Some will last as high as 200k, while many won't. Regardless of what anyone tells you, that kind of mileage on a completely stock block is rare. I would hate for you to spend your precious money on a ride, and then have it blow up on you shortly after.

And the tranny is a 4L60E - pretty strong unit!

Gun Metal Blue
    1997 Jeep Wrangler

Well, as per this forum:

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthre...hlight=mileage

I am most liekly going for it either tomorrow or Friday (maybe this weekend at the latest)

I'm going to find out how often the oil was changed, what kind of oil was ran trhough it, how it was driven (yea, he could lie, just wanna see what he says though)...

And if I am lucky, I'll try to get a compression test on all cylinders. You guys think a dealership can do this? I live right by a Chevy and a Pontiac dealers, otherwsie maybe my mechanic can..

I'll update you guys with any new info or questions I may have. Pics will be up fi I get it.

Gun Metal Blue
    1997 Jeep Wrangler

As per this thread on LS1LT1:

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthre...hlight=mileage

I am probably going to go for it by this weekend. It will be a great learning experience no matter what, as I plan on having at least one more F-Body in the future. (LS1 next time around probably)

I'm going to see how often and what brand oil was used when changed...try and get a compression test (Will a Chevy or Pontiac dealer do this, for not a whole lot of $$$?) And just listen to it idle for a little bit.

I'll update this with any questions I have and/or pictures if I am to get it. Thansk so far guys, if anyone has any more insight, please post up!

Gun Metal Blue
    1997 Jeep Wrangler

Any other insight?

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

well, drive it, if you like it and it looks good then scoop it up, 3500 isnt bad, i would try to get it for at least 3200. Or you could always try for TTOPS, if not you can do a conversion, though it does take some work.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Where are located. I can look at it with you. I was in your same boat when i picked up my first LT1. Even know I have had a LS1 for 5 years prior. LT1s are different and I thought my lt1 was decent until after i got it I had to put 1500 in repairs to it. It only had 113K on it too and only lasted me 20K and its again under the knife. Only reason I keep it because its a 25th t/a. If I am to late in posting this PM me I located NW burbs of Chitown

have you bought the car?

Gun Metal Blue
    1997 Jeep Wrangler

No, it turned out I really had to use the money elsewhere. I will continue the search for a F-body but it will most likely be until Spring time that I come through with one.

Thread Information